Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Arts 'n Crafts Smock
1  2  Next

Yael

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 12:25 pm
what do you use for a smock that you are sending with your child to school this year? did you buy one ready made? use an old shirt? what do u suggest?

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 12:30 pm
I remember being so embarassed wearing my father's old shirts as smocks embarrassed . but I'm sure a lot of other kids wore them, too.

stem

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 12:31 pm
my 3 yr. old daughter wears one of my husband's old undershirts. the sleeves go down to her wrists, and the bottom covers her down to her knees. It's perfect!

mommy2

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 5:47 pm
sometomes they have them in the $ store

lucy

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 7:55 pm
The dollar store has them sometimes, but I got one at Walmart in the baby section (ironically) I like it better bc they put their head through it that way it doesn't slip off and their clothes don't stain. When I used to teach upshernish, most of the kids had "Tatty Shirts" but if they were very "into" their painting it would go through and the clothes underneath would get wet!

de_goldy

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 8:11 pm
its very easy to make one.

daisy

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 5:09 am
I like the plastic ones from walmart. the one we bought last yr didn't have sleeves, but I think they also make them with sleeves. I think we found it in the crafts dept, and it was extremely reasonable.

Yael

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 5:28 pm
I bought one from walmart that has sleeves and is plastic, but I tried it on levi and its way too big and he didnt seem comfortable. I could just see him refusing to wear it or taking it off in the middle of painting. Confused
should I return it? try to fix it up to fit him better? make one out of a tablecloth?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Sep 05 2005, 6:59 pm
I'm sure you can get diff sizes. just make sure it has sleeves, unless you're not makpid on your kids' clothing.
Oh, btw, AS A TEACHER, Dear Mothers, please do not send your kids in clothing that you mind getting ruined. Of course, we don't want any clothing to get ruined, but dont' send them in extra good clothing b/c things happen! markers run, a kid leans against the table with the paintings, etc...and it's not the teacher's fault...you know what I mean? most paint we use is washable, but not always...!

queen

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 5:30 am
you could always decorate (puffy paint) your dh's old shirts to make your child feel good wearing them as smocks....... (just a suggestion!)

mommy2

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 7:39 am
most paint we use is washable, but not always...!
y not?
I dont mind when they get dirty but I find it frustrating when the paint doesnt come out in the wash... even if
I dont put on expensive clothing, clothes r not disposable.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 9:13 am
michaels here sell plastic ones for $1
as a past nursery teacher, shirts arnt so good, they can leak thru

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Sep 06 2005, 9:20 am
mommy, I think usually the paints, are. But for example, we use the "do-a-dot" paint markers...they say they're washable, but someone told me it didn't come out in the wash...

micki

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 7:26 am
I bought a plastic awith sleeves in target- 2.99
I need to get one more...

jewgal84

Post Wed, Sep 07 2005, 8:10 am
As a nursery teacher, I agree with blumag, that t-shirts aren't so great, they leak through.

Here are some tips from previous experiances Rolling Laughter :

I would generally not send kids to school in clothings that you wouldnt want to get ruined.

Most schools use washable paints and color pads.

I would accept that my child may be a messy eater and may come home with stained cloths even if you sent them a smock.

Most teachers won't bother with smocks for a simple activity as coloring, but most kids will color on their hands and cloths.

And you may want to practice with your kids to roll their sleeves up during an activity, bc you have some kids who tend to make a fuss bc "mommy said this way" and ends up rolling down their sleeves, and what do you get with the use of a smock... dirty sleeves Very Happy !

And please... don't be upset at the teacher for your childs dirty cloths... Murphys law: things happen! Salut

timeout

Post Thu, Sep 08 2005, 7:54 am
My sons school gave us a list at orientation about what needs to be sent in for the first day of school (can't believe my baby is in school shock )

But I bought a real smock for kids it was only $4 and I think he'll really use it!

Yael

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 8:11 am
hooray!! I found a smock in walmart!
(a different one than the first) this one is a soft breathable waterproof fabric, and its in the diapers and sippy cups section.
it was 6.97 but I think its worth it.

supermom

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 1:09 pm
in my kids school they have smocks for the kids I never thought that people buy them for thier kids.

lucy

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 5:13 pm
Yael that was the one that I was talking about. I was just there the other day and couldn't remember if you still wanted one or not, so I had in mind to call you tonight to tell you! hahahaha oh well too late!

Tefila

Post Tue, Sep 20 2005, 5:17 pm
Ones w/h sleeves and plastic r the best since paint etc can and will reach the sleeve area unless rolled up. Talking from a Teachers point of veiw Wink and if u want to really score points w/h u'r teacher Tongue Out buy ones or make instead of tye, the velcro type since I spent all yesterday converting the tyes to velcro method for my students an 45 min job Confused
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers