Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Would you want to increase your height? (Safely, easily)

Would you want to increase your height? (Safely, easily)
I'm short (5'3 and under) and would want to increase my height  
 13%  [ 4 ]
I'm short (5'3 and under) and would not want to increase my height  
 20%  [ 6 ]
I'm average (5'4-5'6) and would want to increase my height  
 6%  [ 2 ]
I'm average (5'4-5'6) and would not want to increase my height  
 27%  [ 8 ]
I'm tall (5'7' - 5'9) and would want to increase my height  
 3%  [ 1 ]
I'm tall (5'7' - 5'9) and would not want to increase my height  
 20%  [ 6 ]
I'm very tall (5'10 +) and would want to increase my height  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm very tall (5'10 +) and would not want to increase my height  
 3%  [ 1 ]
I'm tall or very tall and would want to decrease my height  
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm average or short and would want to decrease my height  
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

nchr

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:52 pm
There many advantages, statistically, to being tall. There are some advantages to being short; however, many more to being tall. If you could - would you increase your height easily and safely?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 12:54 pm
I realize that you said safely but just want to say that I don't think giving hormones is necessarily safe. We looked in to it because my daughter seemed to be reaching puberty early. DH said absolutely not doing it. Endocrinologist agreed with him. It was a non discussion. Please research what is involved in giving hormones.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:00 pm
Your question is misleading. On the other thread you said that women would rather be 5'9 than 5'1; that is not the same as asking if someone who is 5'1 would want to increase their height.

I am 5'1 and I would be ok with increasing my height by an inch or two if it could be done safely, but I would NOT want to be 5'9 which is what you said on the other thread. Huge difference. So I'm not voting.

But honestly, I literally never, never thought about this once in all my years.

nchr

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:05 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
Your question is misleading. On the other thread you said that women would rather be 5'9 than 5'1; that is not the same as asking if someone who is 5'1 would want to increase their height.

I am 5'1 and I would be ok with increasing my height by an inch or two if it could be done safely, but I would NOT want to be 5'9 which is what you said on the other thread. Huge difference. So I'm not voting.

But honestly, I literally never, never thought about this once in all my years.

This thread is independent of the other. Yes, I believe almost all women would choose to be 5'9 other than a shorter height, but this thread is not here to "prove that." I was surprised by the amount of people who said they want to stay their current height, so just decided to do a generalized poll, unrelated to that thread.

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:07 pm
nchr wrote:
This thread is independent of the other. Yes, I believe almost all women would choose to be 5'9 other than a shorter height, but this thread is not here to "prove that." I was surprised by the amount of people who said they want to stay their current height, so just decided to do a generalized poll, unrelated to that thread.

I'm 5'1 and I'd much rather be 5'1 than 5'9.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:10 pm
nchr wrote:

The only thing on the other thread that surprised me was your attitude to height. You have been on this site a relatively short while. My suggestion is that you try not to make comments about body type that could potentially hurt people. Having good Middos is more important than having height.

amother
Honeydew

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:11 pm
nchr wrote:

Why do you believe that? Also a 5’3 woman might want to be 5’5 if she could not 5’9.

nchr

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:13 pm
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
The only thing on the other thread that surprised me was your attitude to height. You have been on this site a relatively short while. My suggestion is that you try not to make comments about body type that could potentially hurt people. Having good Middos is more important than having height.

I have not been on the Site that short of a while, many posters know me and have commented that my posts are always informative and decent. I was stating statistics. Why is that hurtful? Is it hurtful to say that obesity puts someone at a higher risk for heart disease? Whoever is short should feel beautiful and there is nothing to do with it, so they should be proud of who they are, so should anyone, regardless of body. However, if given a choice in a hypothetical scenario, who wouldn't want to be taller?

keym

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:13 pm
I agree with Mommyg8. I'm 5'. I would possibly consider raising my height to 5'3" or so if there were ABSOLUTELY NO SIDE EFFECTS. But I would never want to be taller than 5'3". So I'm not really filling out the poll.

amother
cornflower

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:14 pm
nchr wrote:

I find it interesting that you're so passionate about this. Are you tall, average, or short?

I'm that ideal 5'9" LOL and have been since I was 11 years old. As a tween and teen I HATED being tall (because who wants to be so noticeably different at that age?) but I grew (pun intended) to be just fine with it. It definitely is nice to be tall but it's also really hard to find clothes. I can't say I'd mind being 5'6" but honestly I never really thought about it - this is who I am and that's just the way it is.

My kids are tall but if they'd be short, I wouldn't do anything about it unless they're abnormally short (or, on the flipside, abnormally tall). What's wrong with average?

If I had to choose between being 5' or 6', I'd honestly have a hard time choosing. I have nieces who are 6' and it isn't easy to be that tall in the frum world - and I have friends who are under 5' and that's not easy either.

I'd say most people are probably average height (after all, that's what "average" means) so they don't particularly feel strongly one way or the other.

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:19 pm
I'm slightly above average (5'7"). I wouldn't mind being one or two inches shorter, but I don't have any negative feelings about my body or appearance.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:19 pm
Op- are you bored?? Why would you even bother typing up a poll like that??
Obviously we are all not going to change our heights.
I’m happy you like your height but you seriously made a whole poll to see if people agree with you??
Why bother imagining things that can’t be changed? Weight can be changed but not height!

BetsyTacy

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:20 pm
I think cornflower has said it all.
I fall into your definition of average.
When I see a gorgeous skirt on sale which is a smidge too short, I wish I was a smidge shorter, but what I am really wishing is that the skirt was made a smidge longer.

Other than that, I don't think most average people think about it too much. Because, you know, we are average.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:20 pm
wow. Most women I know are shorter than 5'9. I didn't think anyone I know would think, I want to be 5'9.

Laiya

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:21 pm
nchr wrote:
I have not been on the Site that short of a while, many posters know me and have commented that my posts are always informative and decent. I was stating statistics. Why is that hurtful? Is it hurtful to say that obesity puts someone at a higher risk for heart disease? Whoever is short should feel beautiful and there is nothing to do with it, so they should be proud of who they are, so should anyone, regardless of body. However, if given a choice in a hypothetical scenario, who wouldn't want to be taller?

As I asked you on the other thread, what good can possibly come of telling people they are lying when they say they are happy with the body Hashem gave them and that cannot be changed? It seems this exercise can only cause pain. I find your insistence on it disturbing actually.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:22 pm
nchr wrote:

And I believe that posters on Imamother who don’t waste time caring about other people’s bodies have a happier time on the site.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:24 pm
Laiya wrote:
As I asked you on the other thread, what good can possibly come of telling people they are lying when they say they are happy with the body Hashem gave them and that cannot be changed? It seems this exercise can only cause pain. I find your insistence on it disturbing actually.

Thank you, Laiya, I agree. I am amother Pink on the other thread. Nchr, your obsession is indeed disturbing. Please stop.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:28 pm
I'm 5'7" and I'd like to be 5'9". But I wouldn't want to be 6'.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Jul 26 2019, 1:31 pm
nchr wrote:

You have been on for only a year. Many of of us have been around for over a decade.

If in the past you have made “informative and decent” posts great! Your current ones about height are neither decent or informative, sorry. We can all look up statistics if we want. Spouting them doesn’t make you an authority on the subject.

And in your hypothetical scenario, many people on here don’t want to be taller. You asked your question and got your answers from a variety of people. Please move on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics