Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How to Help my Son in School
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 7:00 pm
My son is academically about 3 to 4 grades advanced and is acting out in school due to boredom. All that he knows is self taught (figured out on his own). He is also socially behind, so grade skipping would be a bad idea.The school is asking for suggestions how to accommodate him. Ideas?

He is very young, it's going to be long haul Sad

chestnut

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 7:24 pm
Is he that advanced in all subjects or just some?
He can go out of class to do a math computer program, for example

behappy2

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 7:30 pm
Are there higher academic schools you can switch him to? Can you afford a private tutor during school hours to stimulate him? Can he be a younger grade helper?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 7:50 pm
chestnut wrote:
Is he that advanced in all subjects or just some?
He can go out of class to do a math computer program, for example

He is already doing a self paced computer program for math, but he can't do that all day. He is advanced in most areas, but especially math and reading.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 7:53 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Are there higher academic schools you can switch him to? Can you afford a private tutor during school hours to stimulate him? Can he be a younger grade helper?

There is a non Jewish gifted school about 30 minutes away, but I think he needs the Jewish environment. He can go so far with gemara when he gets older and I don't want him to lose out on yiddishkeit.

He is in one of the youngest grades and is also immature, so helping others is not really appropriate here.

Anyone else in the same situation?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:07 pm
What grade is this?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:11 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
What grade is this?

1st grade.

trixx

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 8:51 pm
Branch out in other areas? Like get him into space, rocks and minerals, different historical periods, etc. He can read books during that time, fill out workbooks, or work in a laptop to create presentation for teacher.
There is so much knowledge in the world beyond math.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Sep 24 2019, 10:12 pm
trixx wrote:
Branch out in other areas? Like get him into space, rocks and minerals, different historical periods, etc. He can read books during that time, fill out workbooks, or work in a laptop to create presentation for teacher.
There is so much knowledge in the world beyond math.

This! Work on interesting topics and not academic topics. Memorization is good for that type of mind. He can be really into rocks or plants or stars. I was your son many years ago. The approach was to put me in a blended classroom. I was usually 3 years younger than my peers. This many years later I think my social skills and emotional security were hampered by it. I couldn’t drive when I started college!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:54 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
This! Work on interesting topics and not academic topics. Memorization is good for that type of mind. He can be really into rocks or plants or stars. I was your son many years ago. The approach was to put me in a blended classroom. I was usually 3 years younger than my peers. This many years later I think my social skills and emotional security were hampered by it. I couldn’t drive when I started college!

He is already into these type of things and is doing well at home.

My concern is school. The whole school environment is inappropriate for him. The class is just starting to learn how to read sight and cvc words and he is reading advanced chapter books already for over a year. They are also doing simple addition and he does fractions and division in his head. He is acting out in school and the teachers can't manage him. How can I make the school environment more appropriate for him to make it a better situation for everyone?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There is a non Jewish gifted school about 30 minutes away, but I think he needs the Jewish environment. He can go so far with gemara when he gets older and I don't want him to lose out on yiddishkeit.

He is in one of the youngest grades and is also immature, so helping others is not really appropriate here.

Anyone else in the same situation?

I have no answers for you but I'm in a similar situation. My son is one of the youngest, smallest, and mature in some ways but very immature in others. Incredibly bright. In kindergarten he was in an advanced math group for 2nd graders. He was getting enrichment reading. His IQ was tested at the high 140s if I remember correctly. Now he is in third grade and still similarly bright. He is in 4th grade math and I have no idea what they are doing for reading or how he is in Hebrew studies.

We are taking him back to the neuropsychologist for a reevaluation. I would like to sit down with his school with the results and show them exactly where he is at and ask them what we can all do for him. He makes up math logic puzzles for fun and will read the dictionary. I would love to skip him ahead but I have a son a year older and both boys are immature so it would be a very bad idea. Hopefully our evaluation will give us some ideas as to where he actually is holding and how he learns best.

Much hatzlacha to you!!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:16 am
I had "more work", or "reading time". I tried and ran from gifted school.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:20 am
All I can say is continue doing what you're doing.
You are your child's greatest advocate
I regret not doing more for my son
He will iyh go great places but at the moment he's struggling and I blame it partially on what you're describing.
Hatzlocha

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
He is already into these type of things and is doing well at home.

My concern is school. The whole school environment is inappropriate for him. The class is just starting to learn how to read sight and cvc words and he is reading advanced chapter books already for over a year. They are also doing simple addition and he does fractions and division in his head. He is acting out in school and the teachers can't manage him. How can I make the school environment more appropriate for him to make it a better situation for everyone?

How much of the day is the class doing reading and math? Math is one period, he can be given his own work then. Reading is not usually a class activity, IME the students read in small groups with the teacher while the other do other quiet work/ centers. The bulk of the day is probably limudei kodesh/ lunch/ recess/ science/ social studies/ gym. Is he acting out all day, or only during certain periods? It's pretty common in first grade for a number of students to find the work too easy, but they don't generally act out at that stage because of it.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:31 am
Can he be pulled out during reading groups and go to the 2nd grade

I think the school needs to find the solution
They are the education experts

It’s like going to the Dr. and you need to diagnose yourself

Are there other Jewish schools in your area that are more academically challenged
Even if they are a bit (not overly) more modern

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 8:33 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Can he be pulled out during reading groups and go to the 2nd grade
Even if in 1st there doing something else, he’ll catch up

I think the school needs to find the solution
They are the education experts

It’s like going to the Dr. and you need to diagnose yourself

Are there other Jewish schools in your area that are more academically challenged
Even if they are a bit (not overly) more modern

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:21 am
The best thing I have found with myself and my kids was to take the general concept of what was being taught in school and having the bright kid expound on it. One of my best teachers would give me research assignments (nothing written, or I probably would have rebelled Smile ) to find mekoros for things, for example (that was high school so of course not relevant yet but to given an idea)....

So if the class is learning basic math, have the teacher pull up word problems (especially since his reading is definitely good enough for it!) at a higher level with the same arithmetic concept and then have him write a story where he shows the math.

One of my daughters keeps herself busy (all. the. time -- she B"H is a very good student because she self-challenges) by drawing things (not an artist at all, but she keeps on critiquing herself and tries to figure out solutions for what doesn't look right -- drawing people in side profile was a challenge she made for herself, and I actually learned later on that doing that at the young age she was doing, first grade, is indeed a sign of giftedness which I thought interesting). She also makes herself word searches or taught herself to re-write things in script (she's my second kid in a row to learn script at a young age to keep herself busy...and actually I recall doing the same thing but at home and my mother was mad because I had found a workbook in a box in the garage from her teaching days and used it!)

Basically use class group lessons as a springboard for doing more but not future years' material...

My kid who was reading Kids Speak in kindergarten is now in third grade, youngest in her class (past the deadline) and top of her class at the same time, and actually doing well. (She's the self-challenger! Growth mindset stereotype.) Her English teacher she said is the best teacher (she knows how to do enrichment) and her Hebrew teacher she "complains" treats them like high schoolers but it's a fake kvetch because she was crying at the end of last year that kodesh was too slow (teacher agreed)....this year she has to take more notes and writing is not something she's faster/more ahead in...it's not tied to her intellect. So that keeps her busy.

There is hope....but it has to be treated right. Because I also have a kid that the school system failed due to boredom and too many worksheets and giving up on any point to school...but he has many other issues. B"H he is in yeshiva now where we had more choice where to send him and I think he's doing well. But it was a long road till then and we lost him in school in the first few years (different place than we are in now, where it was much harder for the school to work with us -- I am happy your kid's teachers are interested in making it work!)

dankbar

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 7:02 pm
One teacher provided fun sheets for all the girls who finished their reg worksheets while others were still at it. It was incentive for everyone to hurry up as well, and kept the gifted bored ones busy, they shouldn't act out

Bruria

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:10 pm
Can the teacher allow him to read something else or do another activity while the other kids are still doing work?( DS used to do this)

If he's entertained he won't act out, that works for many kids.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Sep 25 2019, 9:26 pm
my dd is in 4th grade but I got permission to send her with worksheets- connect the dot, word searches...
my kindergartner is allowed to do the "harder " works during kriya center time but that won't help you if he's 3-4 grades ahead. it works for half to a whole grade ahead...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics