Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this a symptom of anything?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 12:55 pm
My son is 10, I see he has this odd perception of things in a very immature way. He lacks social skills because he doesn't really understand friendships and relationships.
But I wanted to ask about something else he does, maybe someone here is familiar with kids like him.
Whenever he hears a story about a person doing something bad and the end of the story is that the person did teshuva and corrected his ways (ie. the typical story we tell kids to teach them a lesson in midos tovos), instead of understanding and taking the lesson from the story, he immediately identifies with the wrong act the person in the story did, and he tries to copy it.
Or even if he sees a friend getting into trouble for chutzpah, he will copy the chutzpah instead of thinking, oh boy I should never do that. And inevitably he gets into trouble, over and over again.

Is this just immaturity or something more? Should I get him evaluated for ADHD or the like? He isn't the best student and has to work for his (average) grades but his off perception worries me more. And the way he interacts with friends.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 1:49 pm
Has he ever been evaluated for a processing disorder or language issue? That's the first thing that comes to mind. If those have been ruled out, has he ever experienced any traumatic event in his life?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 01 2020, 2:06 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Has he ever been evaluated for a processing disorder or language issue? That's the first thing that comes to mind. If those have been ruled out, has he ever experienced any traumatic event in his life?

I never took him to be evaluated but I'm 99% sure he has auditory processing disorder or something else. Stories he does well with as far as I know but listening to instructions takes him a few tries.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics