Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Should we plan for it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:06 pm
We live in an area that BH hasn't seen as many infections as NY (though that is going to change, obviously). DH and I are planning to move into my parents' house for Pesach, but we may have to reconsider in case one of us needs to quarantine. They are both in the high-risk group and have my elderly grandfather living with them.
Should we plan to spend Pesach at home? What kind of supplies do we need? I hate the idea of things going to waste if everything turns out ok, but do think it's prudent to be prepared.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:07 pm
Yes, for sure. Absolutely. Unless your area is starting complete lockdown today, 100%.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:21 pm
Buy matzah.
Buy wine.
Buy sugar, oil, salt, meat, chicken, fish, cheese and milk. (Freeze all the latter.)
Buy paper goods and foil pans.

Eggs and produce you can buy closer to Pesach; you can even buy more on Chol Hamoed if there's not enough in the stores for the whole week.

None of those things will go to waste. If you do end up going, bring the matzah and wine with you. You will use the other things over the course of the year.

Assemble a VERY BASIC Pesach kitchen. If you have space, put up a folding table in the basement next to the laundry sink. Place a plastic shelving unit next to it. Get two electric plug-in burners ($20 each) and a cheap crockpot ($30). Ideally a large toaster/convection oven ($80). A plastic tub to put in the sink (a few dollars). You need 2 pots (one for soup, one for everything else) and a frying pan; a ladle, a knife, a cutting board, and some wooden spoons. Everything else will be disposable.

Make a very simple menu. Save the fancy stuff for another time.

It can be a wonderful Pesach.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 2:27 pm
We did that yesterday.
I have never made Pesach. I do not own a single Pesach dish/knife.... I have been married 22 years.
Yesterday, after spending the day at work in a hospital, I went to Amazing Saving and Shoprite. (Meat will be purchased closer to, as will produce). I have to assume that I can't go anywhere.
I always knew that I would eventually have to make Pesach. I guess this is the year.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 3:05 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Buy matzah.
Buy wine.
Buy sugar, oil, salt, meat, chicken, fish, cheese and milk. (Freeze all the latter.)
Buy paper goods and foil pans.

Eggs and produce you can buy closer to Pesach; you can even buy more on Chol Hamoed if there's not enough in the stores for the whole week.

None of those things will go to waste. If you do end up going, bring the matzah and wine with you. You will use the other things over the course of the year.

Assemble a VERY BASIC Pesach kitchen. If you have space, put up a folding table in the basement next to the laundry sink. Place a plastic shelving unit next to it. Get two electric plug-in burners ($20 each) and a cheap crockpot ($30). Ideally a large toaster/convection oven ($80). A plastic tub to put in the sink (a few dollars). You need 2 pots (one for soup, one for everything else) and a frying pan; a ladle, a knife, a cutting board, and some wooden spoons. Everything else will be disposable.

Make a very simple menu. Save the fancy stuff for another time.

It can be a wonderful Pesach.

This is very informative. Thank you.
We have a tiny apartment with a tiny kitchen. DH is very experienced with kashering, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I like the table and sink tub idea.
I think the plan is for my mother to cook (which she will be doing anyway). They can set it outside for us to pick up. If we do end up going to them, the food won't go to waste.
I think we just need to stock up on basics. We don't eat any processed food on Pesach, so it shouldn't be too hard.
I'm most nervous about turning over, though. What do I do with all the stuff in my freezer? When should this be done?

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 3:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We live in an area that BH hasn't seen as many infections as NY (though that is going to change, obviously). DH and I are planning to move into my parents' house for Pesach, but we may have to reconsider in case one of us needs to quarantine. They are both in the high-risk group and have my elderly grandfather living with them.
Should we plan to spend Pesach at home? What kind of supplies do we need? I hate the idea of things going to waste if everything turns out ok, but do think it's prudent to be prepared.

The kindest and most responsible thing you can do is refuse to go and make Pesach at home. If you never made Pesach before and you don't have much, get disposables and keep everythng super simple.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 3:27 pm
Great list Beige!

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 3:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm most nervous about turning over, though. What do I do with all the stuff in my freezer? When should this be done?

If the food you have in your freezer is NOT actual chometz, just wrap it in a garbage bag and tape it shut to separate it from your actual Pesach food. If it IS actual chometz, you will need to use it or sell it. Generally it is not recommended to sell part of your freezer (I.e. just one shelf), but ask your Rav if it is okay under the circumstances. If it is allowed, you will cover over that part with paper or opaque plastic so you don't use it accidentally.

The actual "turning over" is not as dramatic as it usually seems. The only thing you you need to know is that if kashering with hot water, one should wait 24 hours after using it with heat. So if you're kashering your countertops, don't put hot food on them for the day prior. If kashering with Libun (blowtorch, for example) the 24 hours does not apply. We just pick one night a few days (at least 2) before Pesach, when I'm mentally prepared to stop cooking chometz (you can obviously still eat it, out of the kitchen). Then we cover and switch to Pesach keilim.

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We don’t visit our parents now.
They’re in their sixties.
My father davens at home
And we email grocery orders and text local fruit store for them. Deliveries left by their door....
We are all making our own pesach
I wouldn’t take a chance with older people, it’s really scary if they catch it. We can be carriers unknowingly.
Nope, not taking chances.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 18 2020, 4:54 pm
If I'm self quarantined now and my parents are by themselves now, and no one gets sick till pesach, can we quarantine together on pesach?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics