Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Question re check cashing

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 5:22 pm
My daughter was working in NY but came home for pesach and the place she is working is not open, nor are there flights, so she has not returned and we don't know when she will.

She has a few checks in NY which she would like to cash. Can someone else cash those checks for her and send her the money? Or deposit in her US bank account? We don't live in the US so no point mailing them here, the exchange rate for US checks is pretty high.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 5:29 pm
someone else can take them to her bank and deposit them into her account. they should write "for deposit only: XXXXXXXXX" the xxxxxx would be her account number.

doctorima

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 5:58 pm
Someone else can definitely deposit in her US account. But her bank may have an app that will allow her to deposit them herself remotely.

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 6:02 pm
Most banks have a mobile App which enables you to deposit checks into your account with yiur smart phone.

It’s very easy as you snap a picture of the front and back of the check and then the bank confirms that it has accepted the deposit. It’s the same technology as is used in an ATM machine when you deposit the check.

I would have someone mail the checks to her and then she can deposit to her account from wherever she was and have access to the money in her US account.

Otherwise someone would have to forge her endorsement in order to deposit the check.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 6:10 pm
Amarante wrote:
Most banks have a mobile App which enables you to deposit checks into your account with yiur smart phone.

It’s very easy as you snap a picture of the front and back of the check and then the bank confirms that it has accepted the deposit. It’s the same technology as is used in an ATM machine when you deposit the check.

I would have someone mail the checks to her and then she can deposit to her account from wherever she was and have access to the money in her US account.

Otherwise someone would have to forge her endorsement in order to deposit the check.

her account number on the back of the check would suffice. No forging required.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:07 pm
Amarante wrote:

Thanks!
Why can't someone just send her a picture of the cheques? Is mailing necessary?

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!

It asks you to take a picture of the check, you can't upload pictures. I wouldn't advise mailing checks though. I've had checks get "lost" in the mail several times. Punch
If they are going to be mailed I would only do it in a way that it can be tracked and require a signature but there's always a risk.

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 27 2020, 9:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks!

When I’ve done it, the App is a bit particular about how it takes the photo so I don’t know if they would accept you taking a picture of the picture.

I don’t see a problem with mailing a check as checks are mailed all the time. In the “olden days” it was the way you paid a bill. By mailing a check. Very Happy But agreed that sending with a signature is always good for financial stuff.

You should make sure that your US bank will let you download the App outside the US as sometimes the App stores work for the specific location.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries