Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Student with dyslexia and ADHD
1  2  Next

baby's mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 3:53 pm
Anyone have experience with teaching a student that has dyslexia and ADHD? I need some really good tips and ideas for teaching Aleph Beis, Parsha and prayers...thanks!

Last edited by baby's mom on Thu, Sep 15 2005, 12:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

jewgal84

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 4:16 pm
I had both, ADHD and dyslexic students in my class at Talmud Torah Last yr.

Firstly, is it one and one?

2- Full time education?

3- What do the parents expect from you?

baby's mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 4:42 pm
Great so maybe you can help me!
it's one on one, once a week. She is in 5th grade, not frum.
I need to teach her Aleph Beis, some basic stuff on parsha (story), maybe I can make a scrapbok with her or something that way she keeps it and remembers it better.
Any ideas for me?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 4:47 pm
well, for parsha, keep it interesting and vary activities so she doesn't have to focus for so long. Maybe tell a short story and then involve her in an activity she will like: coloring, a craft, etc...
As for Alef-Beis....I don't really have experience with this, but I would say, take it slow, use flashcards, rewards...
Hmm...maybe my ideas are for a younger student...but good luck!

jewgal84

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 5:14 pm
All brachad suggestions are in agreement with mine.

(Dyslexia) The main thing is to be very patient bc they don't see/read words the way you do.

(ADHD) Seems to have very limited attention so can't plan activities for too long at a time.

Parsha- I made a scrapbbok with him.

Pick ONE topic you think is important and don't bring in too many opinions about it. IE: Breishit, I would only teach that Hashem created the world in 6 days and the 7th day Hashem rested. You could say that is a reason we rest. I brought in some supplies, markers, glue etc and told told him to create the first page of the scrapbook and then asked him to title it.

You may be luckier than me as you have a girl, girls tend to like doing arts 'n crafts although the activity was fine for him.

Have in mind that bc she is dyslexic she will enjoy and also have talents doing art n crafts bc she knows she is not reading like everyone else is in her class.

Aleph Bet- Flashcards were the best for me. I also did alot of matching. I got stencils from various books and photocopied.

baby's mom- The impression you gave me is that you are only starting to recognise the Aleph Bet, therefor after teaching one or two letters I would stop, review, compare and find diff things about each letter. ie: An Aleph has a hand that waves and is a little crooked but it stands on 2 feet (or an aleph is made up with a diagonal line and two small hands) Then I would show him a few letters and ask him to point out aleph? I would even show him a page of words and ask him to highlight the alpehs on the first line. And as you through all the aleph bet you can choose diff colors for diff letters.

Good luck, let me knwo if I was of help and if you need other ideas!

baby's mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 6:01 pm
Thanks brachad and jewgal84 this sunday is the first lesson, I'll keep you posted!

mommy2

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 7:27 pm
when working with children who have dyslexia, it is good to use multisensory instruction, use senses of sight, hearing, speaking and toching at the same time when they are learning.
pm or call me for more

elisecohen

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 8:34 pm
I agree about the multi-sensory approach. Just reading and listening won't work. I just saw at a local Jewish store little painted wooden letters like what they have had English for years for decorating a child's room, etc, but now they have aleph-bais. They're beautiful and perfect for letting a child hold and feel who needs that kind of tactile approach.

Also, for the whole class you might try using the Torahpedia curriculum or something similar--it uses aleph-bais to teach middos and Torah ideas and is well-designed for use in a setting where few of the children are from frum backgrounds. It suggests many discussion areas, games and activities along with teaching basics of language and middos.

Rivk

Post Tue, Sep 13 2005, 9:59 pm
I think there is a Montessori system for teaching Aleph Bais out there. Just not sure where!

mommy2

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 9:37 am
1 other thing important to keep in mind is that you have a student with dyslexia not a dyslexic student.

lucky

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 11:29 am
mommy2 wrote:
1 other thing important to keep in mind is that you have a student with dyslexia not a dyslexic student.

How I wish that ALL teachers knew/practiced this. Sad Sad

carrot

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 12:20 pm
elisecohen wrote:
I agree about the multi-sensory approach. Just reading and listening won't work. I just saw at a local Jewish store little painted wooden letters like what they have had English for years for decorating a child's room, etc, but now they have aleph-bais. They're beautiful and perfect for letting a child hold and feel who needs that kind of tactile approach.

Someone once told me about a method where the child forms the letter themselves out of clay. It sounded like a good idea to me. But then, I am not very experienced in this field. And I don't know what a fifth-grader would think of it. (Would probably depend on her personality and the way it's presented - like maybe she can make a sign or even an Alef-Bais chart for her room.)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 5:26 pm
carrot, that's an excellent idea! making it tactile is using another sense that can help!
last year for samach or mem soffit (dont remember) I gave my students pipe cleaner so they could shape it.

adorable

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 10:26 am
to review the alef beis, a few at a time, bake cookies- let her shape the l etters and decorste them with sprinkles...

BobbyM/cr

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 11:47 am
lucky wrote:
mommy2 wrote:

How I wish that ALL teachers knew/practiced this. Sad Sad

Three cheers to all of you I have been urging for years people to stop labelling people are people and need to be respected as such so a child with ADHD is just that as well as child with Dyslexia etc.

jewgal84

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 12:10 pm
baby's mom- How did the first lesson go (and the 2nd and 3rd) Very Happy

Tefila

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 3:55 pm
Quote:
as such so a child with ADHD is just that as well as child with Dyslexia etc.

Exactly.
Oh and welcome to our site Very Happy r u planning on getting addicted too Twisted Evil

baby's mom

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 7:13 pm
jewgal84 wrote:
baby's mom- How did the first lesson go (and the 2nd and 3rd) Very Happy

So the first lesson (we only had one so far) was B"H a success!
I wish my student would come more often..the more often she can come during the week, the better for her. I will be making a scrapbook with her, so she'll be able to keep all that info.
I make her do the letter with her body, with stick, art... and lots of repetion...

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome!

baby's mom

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 7:15 pm
adorable wrote:
to review the alef beis, a few at a time, bake cookies- let her shape the l etters and decorste them with sprinkles...

I love that idea. I did it with my other students. I will wait til we learn a few letters and then bake with her. Very Happy

jewgal84

Post Wed, Sep 28 2005, 11:17 am
Sounds great, keep up the fantastic work & Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics