Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
EBAY question- what should I do?

MMEC123

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 9:26 am
I orderer something on ebay about 7-8 weeks ago. After 3 weeks, when it didn't show, the seller refunded my money. Well, yesterday (8 weeks late!!) actually came in the mail. So I emailed the seller right away asking where I should send money to. She responded that she is so happy I got it and even more happy that there are kind and honest people in the world that she doesn't want me to pay her!

Should I pay her anyway? L'halacha do I have to? I'm happy to pay (but I don't know how to get her the money so I'd have to bother her for her information of where to send it to). Or should I just leave it be?

Pearl

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 9:40 am
I would try to send her something... but she sounds wonderful, and good to know there are still ppl like her around!

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 10:41 am
how did you pay her the first time? If you have her email address, just paypal her the money!

queen

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 11:02 am
how much $ are we talking about?

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Sep 22 2005, 8:55 pm
she gave it to you as a gift.
Al pi halacha I think you're fine.

But it would be nice to give her small something, especially if she knows you're Jewish.

Ima-to-angels

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 2:19 am
What about donating the money to tzdakah and writing to tell her ?

MMEC123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 4:14 pm
I emailed her again. Mind you it was only $6 but it's still her money. She insisted that she was so thankful that I was honest and wrote "G-d bless you and people like you". So I thanked her and that's the end of it.

daisy

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 5:46 pm
I have encountered some really nice ppl on ebay. For example, once I ordered 2 cookbooks and the description said they were the revised editions, but really they weren't. When I pointed it out, the seller refunded my $ and told me to keep them. I found myself using them anyway, so I "paypalled" the amount I felt they were worth. She was also so thankful as she really needed the $. I have had other positive incidents too. Glad it worked out for you.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Sep 27 2005, 9:13 pm
I don't know if she's Jewish, but if so, you made a kiddush Hashem. I've had times when I noticed I wasn't charged for a 99 cents item in a store and I'll tell them the next time I go in. People behind me are awed.
If it's THEIR mistake, l'halacha - if it is a Jew, you have to return. If it's a [gentile] - you don't have to, but it's good to b/c of kiddush Hashem.
In your case, she gave it to you as a gift....so a simple thank you is enough!

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 4:49 pm
L'hlacha you don't have to, but it would be a kiddush Hashem if you did...
it once happened to me that I had lots of stuff in my shopping cart, and I had gloves too that I wanted to buy but it fell under my own stuff that was also in the cart, after leaving the store, I saw them, I went back and paid for them.. it made a real kiddush hashem.. in walmart it also happens that they s/times don't notice a small item, I always tell them.

raizy

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 1:30 pm
2 times it happened to me in walmart .but when u have four screaming kids and I didnt pay for one shampoo .I left it like that. now I check really well. but reallly they should be the one to scan the cart and make sure that nothing was left behind..

Rivka

Post Sat, Dec 03 2005, 5:28 pm
Well it's a massive kiddush Hashem to do these things because most people don't do this kind of thing and we show we are honest people and shows a good light on all Jews and on our religion and our torah.
I would have probably sent her the money, but if she really said no a few times, there is nothing much you can do. Unless you buy something from her again and send her $6 extra for the previous item you received.

1stimer

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 2:00 pm
I have another ebay question. I bought something from ebay and in my opinion it was not as described (I.e. the person wrote it was hardly used, and to me it seemed exeptionally well-used).

The seller emailed me reminding me to leave feedback, and I said that I wasn't sure, since to me the items looked very well-used and she described them as hardly used. She maintained that they were hardly used.

What should I do? Leave no feedback, negative feedback, or positive (besides for that the service was prompt).

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 2:07 pm
If u leave neg feedback she may well do the same for u Sad so I would leave well enuf alone. Thats what I've learnt the hard way. Exploding anger
And I think it's so wrong to not described it exactly Exclamation

chanala

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 2:18 pm
You can also leave neutral feedback. If she reciprocates, at least it's not negative!

roza

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 3:57 pm
if the item is not expensive, then I would not leave the feedback and I would not communicate with the seller. it's an ebay game, so I lost out on this small item, wouldn't spend more time on it.

but on expensive item I would contact the seller, and go according his return policy, if he does not have a return policy, then I would file a complaint base on 'item not as described' and then go from there.

1stimer

Post Sun, Dec 04 2005, 4:18 pm
She already left me feedback, so no worries there. The thing is she didn't have to write hardly used, had she not written that then I would have just thought 'oh too bad' but it bothered me that she went 'out of her way' to write that it was hardly used when its condition clearly showed otherwise.

I think I will do as roza says, leave it as is and not leave any feedback.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics