Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Natural height growth

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 3:39 pm
Hi
My daughter is 17 kah she’s just about 5’ . She is really bothered by it. Last year we did a bone age and doctor said her bones are almost fused, she got her cycles at around14, anyone has any experience if there is anything we can still do to get her to grow a bit more?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi
My daughter is 17 kah she’s just about 5’ . She is really bothered by it. Last year we did a bone age and doctor said her bones are almost fused, she got her cycles at around14, anyone has any experience if there is anything we can still do to get her to grow a bit more?

What does it mean that her bones are almost fused? My daughter is 8, very petite, and her doctor wants us to for for a bone age. My husband is against it- we don’t plan on using hormones or the like so I’m wondering what the point of knowing is.

Op, there are very high risks of giving girls hormones. Pretty sure 17 is way too late. I would help her focus on the positive in life and how this was chosen for her etc...

Dahlia

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:08 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
What does it mean that her bones are almost fused? My daughter is 8, very petite, and her doctor wants us to for for a bone age. My husband is against it- we don’t plan on using hormones or the like so I’m wondering what the point of knowing is.

Op, there are very high risks of giving girls hormones. Pretty sure 17 is way too late. I would help her focus on the positive in life and how this was chosen for her etc...

Bone fused is referring to the growth plate. The long bones in the body contain a special area made of cartilage where new bone grows from. As we mature the bone plate changes to bone instead of cartilage and seals off. Once it fuses we can't grow taller anymore.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:09 pm

What are the very high risks? Can you share?

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:50 pm
We started my daughter on gh just after she turned 4 bc she was so short/stopped growing. I'm afraid u missed the boat- see what you can do to make ur daughter comfortable w her height

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 5:57 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
What are the very high risks? Can you share?

From what I was told there are risks associated with injecting hormones into girls- reproductive risks.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:08 pm
Thanks for your replies, I wouldn’t do hormones anyway, because like a poster said for girls I feel it’s too risky... just wondering if anyone knows of any exercises or natural remedies to get whatever growth potential their might still be.

Last edited by amother on Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:09 pm
From what I was told there are risks associated with injecting hormones into girls- reproductive risks.

No, not growth hormone. Not sure what medication you're referring to

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:12 pm
For the record, there are no reproductive risks for girls given growth hormones.
I’ve done it for two sons with decent results but it won’t make a kid taller than he/she would be based on parental height. Meaning, it helps them reach their predetermined height which they weren’t on track to reach for whatever reason (hormone deficient being the main cause though my sons were not actually deficient).
I would agree that at 17, it’s too late if it would have made a difference at an earlier point.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:40 pm
amother [ Cobalt ] wrote:
For the record, there are no reproductive risks for girls given growth hormones.

Are there any other risks for girls given growth hormones? I’ve been told by so many people that there are risks to be concerned with specifically with girls over boys.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Nov 01 2020, 6:46 pm
Are there any other risks for girls given growth hormones? I’ve been told by so many people that there are risks to be concerned with specifically with girls over boys.

I haven’t heard of any, I think people are just worried. I didn’t research side effects for girls because it wasn’t relevant. I know men who took growth hormones with no reproductive issues.
Another concern people have is that it causes cancer. That’s a misconception. There is a syndrome that affects growth AND causes a higher incidence of cancer. Because those kids are given growth hormones for the growth issues and they may subsequently develop cancer, people think it’s a cause and effect when in reality both issues are related to the syndrome (I forget what it’s called but google might help).

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:06 am
My dr said there’s not enough known about it to know all the possible side effect, but that it shouldn’t just be given lightly.

crust

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:09 am
I would appreciate any link to the risks of the current growth hormones given in 2020.

There are no known risks.

It's a pain in the neck. Yes. But not a risk.

I dont think you can still do something OP. I'm so sorry.

After puberty you still have 1.5 years to push in a few inches.

But 3 years after her first period? Neh.... its over. 😒

Btw if anyone has a good vitamin that really promotes growth please hit me up.
(If it's a multi vitamin I already have it thank you very much).

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 12:29 am
Some of the natural methods for increasing height:

Eat protein - especially milk (calcium)

Take a zinc supplement in addition to multi vitamin

Do yoga - stretching exercise

Hang upside down to reverse gravity on spine.

Do high impact running and jumping as the stress on the bones causes growth.

Get enough sleep

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 2:07 am
I just want to say that I don't think it's that bad for a girl to be on the shorter side. (I think it's harder for a boy.) She can wear heels to get a little more height & I think that petite is cute!

familyfirst

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 2:14 am
Almost five feet is fine

It’s short but not bad

Wear cute clothes and shoes and smile and be confident

Another shortie here. Don’t live it but five feet really is within the realm of normal

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 2:38 am
crust wrote:
I would appreciate any link to the risks of the current growth hormones given in 2020.

There are no known risks.

It's a pain in the neck. Yes. But not a risk.

I dont think you can still do something OP. I'm so sorry.

After puberty you still have 1.5 years to push in a few inches.

But 3 years after her first period? Neh.... its over. 😒

Btw if anyone has a good vitamin that really promotes growth please hit me up.
(If it's a multi vitamin I already have it thank you very much).

1.5 years? Im hyperventilating. My 12 yr old daughter got her period 5 mths ago. She’s short. Are u telling me she will only grow within the next year?

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Nov 02 2020, 4:35 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
1.5 years? Im hyperventilating. My 12 yr old daughter got her period 5 mths ago. She’s short. Are u telling me she will only grow within the next year?

It’s typical to grow for two years after period, but you can get a bone age to see. Some kids continue to grow longer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics