Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What makes u a fun parent ?

thegiver

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:26 pm
What makes u a fun parent?(without spending too much /any $$) What makes u a loving parent?

Side rant--I feel so guilty being on the phone at the end of a long day. They still want me. Ha At least that means I am loveable despite all my shenanigans. Do you ever get that blank look from your childs eyes when u r on the phone around them? It's scary empty almost haunting. A look of feeling unloved, bored and empty inside.

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:33 pm
it's a struggle
[and I don't have a phone]
but by all means - minimize phone time for starters

I'm a very no nonsense tachlis type
it's difficult for me to be fun
kids do need this

behappy2

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:38 pm
Today my daughter wanted to play a game with me, she jumped on my bed while I sat and felt the vibrations. Then we switched (I only agreed to jump once. I'm not that agile)

ExtraCredit

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:39 pm
behappy2 wrote:
Today my daughter wanted to play a game with me, she jumped on my bed while I sat and felt the vibrations. Then we switched (I only agreed to jump once. I'm not that agile)

One jump of mine and that would cost me a bed! You’re good!

amother
Amethyst

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:46 pm
Some fun things cost me a lot of energy, and some take time I may not have.

My kids like when I draw or do art with them. They like me to come join when I see them doing it. That requires stopping whatever else is happening, which is hard. They also like me to dance with them. I live dancing, but it no longer loves me. I can't pick people up anymore, can't jump, etc. So I have to do the mommy/bubby version, which sometimes really annoys them. Especially when they get the bubby version and they know their older siblings got full-on young mommy.

bigsis144

Post Sat, Dec 19 2020, 11:58 pm
I read chapter books aloud to my kids (8 and 11 years old) every night at bed time.

We play Dungeons & Dragons, it’s basically improvised storytelling of heroic adventures with some dice rolls to add elements of unpredictability. Games usually last 1-3 hours and we play every Shabbos afternoon.

Sometimes I will do utterly ridiculous one-time things like hide inside a duvet cover and sneak along the ground like an amoeba as they try to “hunt” me. But those are strictly one-time events!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:28 am
Turn on music, sing and dance Smile
Play(quick) card games with them. Popular right now in our house is monopoly deal. we also like uno and swish.

yalixoxo

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:31 am
I color with them.

Try to get on floor and play with them

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:32 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Some fun things cost me a lot of energy, and some take time I may not have.

My kids like when I draw or do art with them. They like me to come join when I see them doing it. That requires stopping whatever else is happening, which is hard. They also like me to dance with them. I live dancing, but it no longer loves me. I can't pick people up anymore, can't jump, etc. So I have to do the mommy/bubby version, which sometimes really annoys them. Especially when they get the bubby version and they know their older siblings got full-on young mommy.

My mother who should live and be well, didn't marry until in her 30s.
I'm the oldest, and right now my oldest is 11, and bubby is mid-60s. Bli ayin hara.
She is still a young and fun bubby.
But when my youngest sibling (22)'s future potential oldest is 11, bubby will be mid-70s.
Sad

Halevai my mother stays healthy and strong. We love her and need her.

(My father was niftar over a decade ago.)

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:35 am
We have dance parties all the time. Turn on fun music and let my 3 yr old be the choreographer.
I get on the floor and play with her.
I take her to the playground even if the house needs to be cleaned.
I color with her.
I let her snuggle in my bed most mornings even if it might make us a little.late.
She cooks and bakes with me even if it slows me down or makes a mess.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:41 am
I dance with my kids sometimes
I like taking them out to pizza on sundays
I find when I'm out with them, I'm able to focus on them more...there's no dinner, or laundry or phone calls calling my attention...
I also buy them different projects, I usually don't do it with them, but I watch them.
sometimes just being in the same room is meaningful, my teacher in HS taught me this.
I can be making dinner while they're at the table, but I'm talking with them, interacting etc.
what helps me is that my phone's browser is disabled, and I keep my laptop in my bedroom...so I'm not online when I'm around them...
I find it helpful because otherwise I would be sooo distracted....

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 12:42 am
Me dreaming:
Play music all the time and sing and dance
Paint parties
Lots of arts n crafts
Bake
Randomly go out
Go biking
Go to the beach
Games
Be chilled about messes
Etc etc etc
I used to do these things with my siblings while I was single... expecting my first and hoping to do these things with them Iyh

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 1:13 am
I'm all fun unfortunately and lack the structure part. We regularly do the following: paint, make slime, dance to music, I give rides, play tag (I'm usually it), other art like sand art or playdough or jewelry crafting or ironing beads, board games, card games, other toys like dolls etc.

silverlining3

Post Sun, Dec 20 2020, 11:39 am
I laugh a lot with them, joke etc
Dance to music with them. As a side, I once had a very exhausting day with my then baby not feeling well. At arnd 6pm I was sitting on the couch with half closed eyes, rocking my baby, and my other kids sitting by table coloring or wtvr. Low slow music was on. One of my kids looked to me and said, ma, it feels like in a hospital, everything's so quiet..... It was sad. But otoh I sort of felt validated that I'm usually upbeat. And kids like and appreciate.
Color with them-something I enjoy too.

I find they like a lot when I do anything together with them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics