Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Desperate for help with bedwetting
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 9:59 am
Hi, does anyone have anything that worked for bedwetting besides for alarms. I have three preteen/young teens still bedwetting. We've done the alarms quite a few times and they're fine for a few months or even a year and then they start bedwetting again. I've asked their pediatrician when they were younger and he said they will outgrow it. But now I'm desperate for a real, lasting solution.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:09 am
Ask dr about desmopressin

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 10:21 am
My 2 kids who are dealing with this have constipation issues. Can that be the case?

oneofakind

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:00 am
Yes. Absolutely.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:05 am
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
My 2 kids who are dealing with this have constipation issues. Can that be the case?

I know one is, and I gave him laxatives and had him drink more for a while to see if that helps but it didn't. What did you do that helped?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:10 am
This sounds like a genetic issue. No amount of alarms or medicines will fix this. Only time.

When they hit puberty, the hormones will help the nerves and muscles grow and become more sensitive. This will help them wake up when they feel pressure, and will help them hold it until they can get to the bathroom.

In the meantime, don't shame them in any way. Empower them to be in control of the situation. Make sure that they have good quality mattress protectors. Insist that they take their bedding and PJs to the laundry every morning, and that they take a quick shower before getting dressed.

If they are not in school, you can even have them wash their own linens and clothes. It will help make them feel more grown up.

I have a good friend who's 6 kids ALL had this problem until around 14 or 15. It always resolved. The only time there was a relapse was if one of them was fighting off a cold or flu.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:14 am
It’s genetic. My father until age 12 , two of my brothers until age 12 , one of my sons until age 14 and one of my sons until age 10.
The doctors prescribed DDAVP at a certain point but it is not a cure. It’s only a bandaid and doesn’t always work. They eventually outgrow it. I had to wash smelly wet linens every day for many years. Not fun.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:19 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know one is, and I gave him laxatives and had him drink more for a while to see if that helps but it didn't. What did you do that helped?

We are dealing with it in the present tense. Wink
I haven’t worked on it long enough to see a difference. I am not looking at it like treating the bedwetting. I am trying to get successful at helping the constipation and I believe the bedwetting will follow. My kids are 5 and 9, not teens yet.
Doctor has suggested laxatives everyday to get them regular.

Coffee beanz

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 11:26 am
Therapee by dr sagie helped us. Its an alarm not attached to the body. also paired with a cbt like therapy. If you didnt try it id say its worth looking at.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 12:25 pm
Desmopressin
Yes it's a band aid but at least teen doesn't feel bad about wetting their bed and mother doesn't get upset about washing linen.
Yes they do outgrow it.
Patience!!!! Sad Btdt!

avrahamama

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 1:12 pm
It sounds like ADH hormone hasn't kicked in yet.

Instead of changing sheets use either washable chux pads or this disposable kind. This one is good because it has an adhesive that sticks to the bed and keeps them from sliding off during sleep.

https://www.amazon.com/GoodNit.....R6W0S

I know there are meds others also mentioned up thread.

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:39 pm
Magnesium, b complex, b1 and treatment for chronic hidden strep is what worked over here.

Bleemee

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:47 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Magnesium, b complex, b1 and treatment for chronic hidden strep is what worked over here.
How does someone know if they have chronic hidden step if it’s hidden? What does it mean?

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 4:50 pm
Bleemee wrote:
How does someone know if they have chronic hidden step if it’s hidden? What does it mean?
Hidden as in, not showing typical strep sick symptoms. You can usually, but not always, tell by measuring strep titers.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 7:05 pm
My husband outgrew this at around age 14. He never told me, I just overheard his family talking about it. He's very sensitive about it and when I brought it up once he wouldn't talk about it.
I know my brother that's 12 is on meds for it. My 9 year old brother prefers using pull ups.

galbis

Post Thu, Feb 04 2021, 7:29 pm
Many times this can come from unintegrated primitive reflexes with poor muscle control. An OT trained in reflex integration can help. I know there are therapists who do this in the Lakewood area; I'm not sure about other places. You can pm if you want more information about it.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 07 2021, 4:09 pm
It’s genetic. We have it in our family from both sides. Nothing really to do DDAVP won’t cure the problem at all. I wouldn’t keep my kids on Meds long term, especially if you know it runs in your family, what I tell my kids is in our family it’s normal to wet the bed until a very late age nothing to be ashamed, just wear pull ups and no need to be busy with laundry, I know it’s easier said then done, but if you know it runs in your family just take it easy and explain it to your kids.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 10:08 pm
My 8.5 yr old is in pull ups at night. My others were out of them by like 6/7. Dr says he will outgrow when he wants to.
Curious if anyone in bklyn got pull ups covered by insurance. Where/how?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:15 pm
I would try energy type of healing like kinesiology. They have a way of checking what specific thing, exercise or vitamins will help the child.

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Mar 18 2021, 11:30 pm
Coffee beanz wrote:
Therapee by dr sagie helped us. Its an alarm not attached to the body. also paired with a cbt like therapy. If you didnt try it id say its worth looking at.

I just looked this up and found a website which doesnt really explain what this is. it seems they are saying we need to teach our bedwetting child's brain to get the signal...etc and they can magically do it, but they didnt give details. how does this work?

op, my son wears a diaper everynight. he is 11. I tried the regular alarm which didnt work because at times he didnt get up...etc. im hoping hell grow out of it, but I think it runs in my dhs family but he never wants to talk about it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics