Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Chipped teeth

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:35 am
My 10 year old daughter fell today and chipped 2 of her adult teeth. I can't stop crying. I can't believe this happened. Anyone been through this and have words of advice?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:39 am
Not too much advice. DS did this too, split his lip and chipped a front tooth majorly, right before my sibling's wedding. The pictures are a nightmare!

The dentist did somehow build back up part of the tooth, but it's noticeably different than the one it's right next to. If it doesn't wear down properly we'll probably have to do something about it in a few years.

I'm so sorry you're going through this. One of the things you learn as a parent is that watching your kids go through any kind of pain is infinitely more painful than what you go through yourself.

When these kinds of things happen and rattle us, it's also a good time to revisit our understanding of bitachon in Hashem. A good perspective can help us a lot, and eventually also filter down to color our children's perspectives.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:41 am
But she's a girl!! I can't get a hold of myself. I'm so upset.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:48 am
Cosmetic dentistry can do a lot. They have seen much worse and can give her a beautiful smile.

It's terribly upsetting but IY"H nobody will ever be able to tell.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 12:50 am
I chipped my tooth badly at that age. The dentist did a beautiful job bonding it. I redid the bonding for my wedding.

20 years later, recently did porcelain veneers so all the top front teeth can match.

The bonding really can work long term. I’m actually doing soon for my son who also just chipped his front adult tooth.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 4:50 am
I chipped my front teeth at that age. I had braces at age 14 and the orthodontist did something to make the braces bring down the 2 front teeth and then shaved it off so it's even. So if she gets braces, that might be an option (I guess it depends how chipped it is).

nchr

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 4:52 am
I chipped my adult teeth as a girl. My dentist was able to bond them, without needing to pull the teeth. You cannot tell.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 5:10 am
I fell on my face in second grade and chipped my two front (adult teeth). The bonding lasted me 20 years! If you ask 95% of the people who know me, I doubt they've ever noticed.

My daughter did the same thing at the same age. I felt so sad! I'm still sad, because they told me to wait until she turns 12 to fix it, because the odds of her rechipping it while she is young are high.

But I totally understand you! I feel sad when she smiles, but I've asked her many times and it doesn't bother her.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Feb 16 2021, 8:48 am
OP, so many kids chip their teeth and it's really not something to be devastated about. It's common childhood occurrence.
My 9 year old DD sat into a cozy coop bike and couldn't get out. She tumbled out and chipped her 2 front teeth. The dentist took us in right away and did an amazing job fixing her teeth, you can't tell at all that he added. Maybe before she gets married we'll do a permanent implant.
OP, if you can notice that her teeth were fixed, the dentist didn't do a good job. Maybe take her elsewhere.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics