Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Pesach clothes
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:03 pm
For those with daughters, how much do you spend per girl? I just spent hundreds and want to know what's average

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:15 pm
My girls are in high school. I end up spending 2-3k each season per girl. I think it’s crazy. They must dress Tzniut. The non jewish stores usually don’t have a lot of clothing for that age range that’s Tzniut and proper looking. I found until they reach 12 grade sem age the Jewish places are the only places to shop. It ends up costing more. However, the shopping time is cut in half because so much in each store!!

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:16 pm
I usually spend around $200-$300 total for two teenagers not including the shoes or stockings or proper garments to wear them with so if you add all of that in it comes out to about $400-$500. I go to Gemachs and buy second hand there is one Gemach in the area that doesn't charge so that's where we go for something new. For shoes I go to 6pm or dsw as they have the best prices online. For stockings I buy directly from Hanes it's much cheaper than the other stores after all the discounts. Keep in mind that for that amount I get a lot of clothing that lasts through the Summer so the next shopping time is Rosh Hashana. The gemach I go to charges $4 a piece of clothing . . .

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:18 pm
Yes, a few hundred per girl. It’s normal unfortunately... especially if you are also buying their spring/summer clothing now.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:19 pm
I have just one girl, a teen. We went into Old Navy the other day and spent about $100. Her father will most likely give her another $100 to shop and that’s really it.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:21 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
I have just one girl, a teen. We went into Old Navy the other day and spent about $100. Her father will most likely give her another $100 to shop and that’s really it.

You were able to find tznius shabbos clothing in old navy for a teen?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:29 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
You were able to find tznius shabbos clothing in old navy for a teen?

She’ll have to wear a shell with some things if she chooses. The necklines aren’t plunging v-necks, but stop like right below the collarbone. Lots of floral, spring things out. Long maxi dresses (meant to be worn with a shell, too) that I’ve seen in frum stores for half or more than half the price.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:36 pm
Between clothes, shoes and outerwear it's probably $1,000 twice a year per kid. When I shop now it's for the summer.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:42 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Between clothes, shoes and outerwear it's probably $1,000 twice a year per kid. When I shop now it's for the summer.

Agreed, at least.
I don’t purchase new uggs or coat every year. They get every other year and more pricey. So that might make it over the top even more.
Op, the answers will range as some people are not as into clothing as others.
My daughters are not spoiled at all, but we like nice things and I’m not apologetic about it.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 9:49 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
She’ll have to wear a shell with some things if she chooses. The necklines aren’t plunging v-necks, but stop like right below the collarbone. Lots of floral, spring things out. Long maxi dresses (meant to be worn with a shell, too) that I’ve seen in frum stores for half or more than half the price.

Happy it worked out for you...

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 10:27 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
My girls are in high school. I end up spending 2-3k each season per girl. I think it’s crazy. They must dress Tzniut. The non jewish stores usually don’t have a lot of clothing for that age range that’s Tzniut and proper looking. I found until they reach 12 grade sem age the Jewish places are the only places to shop. It ends up costing more. However, the shopping time is cut in half because so much in each store!!

If you can afford it awesome. If you are one of the people utilizing alternative funding (gov., tzedaka, .....) then I am beyond bewildered.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 10:47 pm
My girls are in early elementary and I don’t spend much. I took my teen sister shopping as a favor. I was having sticker shock. Between weekday and shabbos, yes it was hundreds.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 10:56 pm
Double post

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 10:59 pm
I just calculated how much avg I spent abt 1000$ for each girl - includes week and shabbos shoes clothes for camp, 2 shabbos outfits 1 robe some accessories and socks/tights. And they’re in preschool and elementary... I don’t buy the 150$ and up shabbos outfits I spend 100-115 max and if it’s under 100 it’s a bonus. I also buy the stuff over around 2 months not all in one day. I used to get away with Zara when they were younger but it won’t work anymore. Winter usually easier to find tznius shabbos from non Jewish stores cheaper then but the coats bring up the price again. they wear 2 years before getting new coat.

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 11:14 pm
This year the styles in regular stores are very tznius. No need to spend a fortune in frum stores. Also, I don't understand the need to buy summer clothes at Pesach time in the New York area.

Frumwithallergies

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 11:21 pm
I take hand-me-downs; my teen has a fabulous wardrobe. I'll probably buy a few camp skirts and shirts before camp. That's it. She is set for shabbos dresses with the hand-me-downs bh.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 11:57 pm
I enjoy shopping, so I don’t think it’s necessary to shop like I do, but I find it comes out to about $500 per season for shabbos clothes+shoes (I have one pre teen daughter). Weekday, I shop as I find, a lot online, and then closer to the summer take her around to some Jewish stores to get whatever else she needs. So I really don’t know how much I end up spending. Maybe another 500-600? Maybe a little more? But like I said, I enjoy it, and I spend time browsing a lot of sites.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 5:40 am
I think I grew up a little dysfunctional. While I wasn’t abused or neglected, I almost never got new things. Occasionally I got something at a discount store or a neighbor would send a bag of hand me downs... but I had no idea families buy their children new clothing before succos and pesach. As a teen I remember thinking that some girls were privileged and lucky to somehow get new in style clothing but I knew it was not something my parents would do for me. I didn’t realize right away when I started having kids that everyone buys new clothing for pesach...I started to feel a little out of it when I noticed babies dressed cutely in new things ... Even though I thought my baby was adorable he didn’t look as sharp as other people’s babies. ..I had another baby and still didn’t realize that our community likes to outfit children in brand new things for Yom Tov. At first I thought it was just the rich people dressing their kids so gorgeous. It’s many years later and I get it now. My older kids are teens and I have younger children too. We’ve been doing our rounds, going to stores, trying on clothing, waiting in shoe stores, going to the seamstress... and even though I feel like I’m spending way more than I’m comfortable with, I can’t let my kids look the way I used to look when they was a child and never had new or appropriate clothing for Yom Tov. As dysfunctional as I grew up, I still think it’s dysfunctional that frum stores run out of summer clothes sizes in March! But I was the odd child dressed funny my whole life and it’s not happening to my children too. So we shop and buy 2x a year. The girls get majority of their wardrobes before Yom Tov and it adds up. Like tuition is part of being a member of the frum community, so is dressing nicely especially for the yomim tovim.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 5:56 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Like tuition is part of being a member of the frum community, so is dressing nicely especially for the yomim tovim.

I can see that your upbringing would make you want to compensate and ensure that your kids have the right clothes. But no, fancy expensive clothing is not on the same level as tuition. Jewish education is a necessity. Dressing up depends on your particular society. There are beautiful frum children leading full religious lives without a new top-to-toe wardrobe for every yom tov.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 7:52 am
My girls (11-18) wear Zara, H &M, Shein, Asos etc..Wears out after one season but they want new clothes anyways for the next season. Yes they wear shells (those last multiple seasons) but they still look beautiful, stylish and put together. They can buy 3 or 4 new outfits for $200

My teenage son on the other hand outgrew his suit and one suit with 2 pairs of pants and 2 white shirts cost more than 5 dresses from the above stores Surprised
And after spending $300 on clothes he needed new shabbos shoes too. Another $100 Can't Believe It
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics