Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What do you ‘enjoy’ spending money on?
1  2  3  Next

What do you prefer to spend money on?
Things  
 55%  [ 62 ]
Experiences  
 44%  [ 50 ]
Total Votes : 112

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:48 am
Things or experiences?

Most people don’t have unlimited funds (though if you do, good for you!) and have to prioritize.

I’m curious what you like to spend on? Things (clothes, wigs, electronics, decor) or experiences (travel, hobbies, personal care etc)

Obviously there are so many variables and even some overlap. This isn’t scientific; I thought of it from reading some of the fashion/spending posts. Me, personally, I prefer to spend 3k on travel rather than on the newest styles. I love the memories we create when we travel, love seeing the world, love how refreshed I am after.

No judgment just curiosity.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:50 am
I picked things but my DD 20 is all about the experiences.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:51 am
I like spending money on convenience and to give to others. Ie parties etc.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:52 am
Are books things or experiences? Or both?

Not spending 3K on anything, but my new books for Yom Tov are at least as important as new clothes (and I don't think I'm getting any new clothes this Pesach, but I've already gaining satisfaction from contemplating the little pile of books awaiting my leisure over Chol HaMoed.)

nchr

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:53 am
I prefer to save my money and not spend it on things or experiences. Can we add that option?

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:53 am
Books!!! And seforim.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:54 am
doodlesmom wrote:
I like spending money on convenience and to give to others. Ie parties etc.

Convenience! I didn’t think of that! That’s interesting! Do you mean going to the closest store? Buying takeout? Cleaning help? Paying more for one stop shopping? That’s great! So it’s the time vs money (I always spend time 😆) whereas you prefer to spend money.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Convenience! I didn’t think of that! That’s interesting! Do you mean going to the closest store? Buying takeout? Cleaning help? Paying more for one stop shopping? That’s great! So it’s the time vs money (I always spend time 😆) whereas you prefer to spend money.

Exactly!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:56 am
nchr wrote:
I prefer to save my money and not spend it on things or experiences. Can we add that option?

I totally hear you. I prefer to save as much money as I can too. Meaning when I travel it’ll be with points and deals if possible. But this poll is IF you are ARE going to spend, what do you spend on?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:59 am
Elfrida wrote:
Are books things or experiences? Or both?

Not spending 3K on anything, but my new books for Yom Tov are at least as important as new clothes (and I don't think I'm getting any new clothes this Pesach, but I've already gaining satisfaction from contemplating the little pile of books awaiting my leisure over Chol HaMoed.)

I have an infant and haven’t read a book since he’s been born (I bought 4 in an optimistic purchase tho) OOC do you utilize libraries at all? (I did but mine never reopened since covid so our ‘book budget’ has definitely gone up this year!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I have an infant and haven’t read a book since he’s been born (I bought 4 in an optimistic purchase tho) OOC do you utilize libraries at all? (I did but mine never reopened since covid so our ‘book budget’ has definitely gone up this year!

There aren't so many english language libraries in Jerusalem, and I don't live near any good ones. There are a lot of out of copyright books available fro free download, and I download anything that looks interesting on to my kindle. If I don't like it, I can just delete it afterwards.,

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:06 am
Things that I can read/wear/look at, like books, jewelry, clothes, plants.
On the other hand, I dislike spending money on experiences like vacations, restaurants or events. I even do the things-worth calculation in my head, like for eating at that restaurant, I could have bought x amount of books or that necklace and so on. Or for that vacation I could have bought half a used car LOL

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:09 am
I dislike spending money on experiences because of all the pressure to make the most out of the experience.

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:32 am
I don’t buy a lot, but I like buying things for my day to day life like home decor, toys for my kids, etc. I know people value spending on experiences more than things but I would rather have free or cheap experiences that make the same memories.

banana123

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:47 am
nchr wrote:

What do you do with the savings?

Spending on a house - things; spending on a wedding - experiences.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:59 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Things that I can read/wear/look at, like books, jewelry, clothes, plants.
On the other hand, I dislike spending money on experiences like vacations, restaurants or events. I even do the things-worth calculation in my head, like for eating at that restaurant, I could have bought x amount of books or that necklace and so on. Or for that vacation I could have bought half a used car LOL

Are you me!!!
And it pains me to pay for conveniences like precut vegetables or one stop frum store overpriced shopping.
The cleaning lady is my biggest SB issue. It kills me and it is my husband’s dream. (Don’t worry-we compromise and nobody is happy 🙃)

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 12:04 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
I dislike spending money on experiences because of all the pressure to make the most out of the experience.

Exactly. I also have the memory of a goldfish so I don't really remember things that have happened to me. I feel the need to document every moment of every trip to remember it, and that is kinda stressful! My idea of a nice vacation is a road trip up to Maine, stopping off at every thrift store/antique store/sandy cove on the way. Not so much money!

essie14

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 12:08 pm
I voted experiences but I also am spending now to make my house more pleasant and enjoyable.
Before I owned a house, would usually prioritize experiences if it had to be one or the other.
I dont spend a lot on clothes or shoes.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 12:20 pm
My home my home my home!!! I made 4K this year making a Shidduch and of all the things I could think of this was the most appealing... window treatments, replacing old worn couch etc.
next would be cleaning help and things to make my life less chaotic

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 12:22 pm
nchr wrote:

Nope. This thread is about what you enjoy spending on.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics