Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What do you ‘enjoy’ spending money on?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

What do you prefer to spend money on?
Things  
 55%  [ 62 ]
Experiences  
 44%  [ 50 ]
Total Votes : 112

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 12:27 pm
I think one can create experiences without spending a lot (or anything). My family goes on road trips. We stay in a hotel using cc points. We do things that do not cost much. We go to parks. Go for bike rides. Walk around the neighborhood together. Those are all meaningful experiences for us. It doesn't become more meaningful to fly to Switzerland and stay in a 5 star resort. (That sounds very stressful to me honestly, though it would be a once in a lifetime kind of thing).

I would much rather spend my money on a few nice, luxury "things" to cherish and enjoy. I voted things.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 12:29 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
Are you me!!!
And it pains me to pay for conveniences like precut vegetables or one stop frum store overpriced shopping.
The cleaning lady is my biggest SB issue. It kills me and it is my husband’s dream. (Don’t worry-we compromise and nobody is happy 🙃)

I buy preshredded carrots because otherwise nobody remembers to grate them erev shabbos. The cost difference is minimal.

We recently invested in a set of China and stopped using disposable. We made a cheshbon that six months of disposable more than paid for the cost of the China.

I don’t really like to spend a lot of money on “things” because they tend to get lost, broken or worn out. (I lost every piece of jewellery I’ve ever owned). I enjoy trips but we usually find inexpensive options, like places we can drive to within a 2-hour radius.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 12:30 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I buy preshredded carrots because otherwise nobody remembers to grate them erev shabbos. The cost difference is minimal.

We recently invested in a set of China and stopped using disposable. We made a cheshbon that six months of disposable more than paid for the cost of the China.

OOC what do you use shredded carrots for?

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 12:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
OOC what do you use shredded carrots for?

Cole slaw, salads, kugels, cake, lots of things.

enneamom

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 1:08 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
My idea of a nice vacation is a road trip up to Maine, stopping off at every thrift store/antique store/sandy cove on the way. Not so much money!

I'm in!!! When can we do this? Sooo done with pesach, work and mommying!
🛣️🏖️🚗🛍️🙌😁😻🌄

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 1:12 pm
enneamom wrote:
I'm in!!! When can we do this? Sooo done with pesach, work and mommying!
🛣️🏖️🚗🛍️🙌😁😻🌄

Yessssssss

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 1:12 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
Exactly. I also have the memory of a goldfish so I don't really remember things that have happened to me. I feel the need to document every moment of every trip to remember it, and that is kinda stressful! My idea of a nice vacation is a road trip up to Maine, stopping off at every thrift store/antique store/sandy cove on the way. Not so much money!

Oh, I would love that too!

I live in PA so I get to do the equivalent without going too far from home.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 1:13 pm
It used to be experiences, but now that my memory is going and I'm getting older, that doesn't work so well.

Now, I like to spend my money on unique, handmade items that make me smile. Even with a bad memory, every time I look at something beautiful that someone made with their own hands and skill, it's like seeing it for the first time, and never gets old.

When I die, these are things that can be passed down, or sold as part of my estate to provide for my children. You can't really sell a trip to Amsterdam I took 30 years ago.

If I had enough money, I'd buy real estate.

small bean

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 3:00 pm
I think experiences means more than vacations. For example where do you go for a waxing. The cheapest place or the place with better service.

I don't like things or spending money. But experiences and conveniences it is for me.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 3:07 pm
Experiences, traveling to new places, having fun! I don't care about things that much, I hate shopping, but I love traveling!

silverlining3

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 3:57 pm
What comes to mind right away is toys, obviously for my kids! I'd buy the whole toy store. And I always dream of winning the toy store at drawings haha. Even they don't play that often with toys.

But if I think deeper I might come up with other things.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 3:59 pm
I like luxury. So when I go for manicures, I go to a more expensive place that is more high-end. When I shop, I look for clothes that are elegant and fashionable. When I travel, I prefer a nicer hotel. Not sure if that puts me in the things or experiences category because I like both!

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 4:10 pm
So I guess the answer is that some of us don't really enjoy spending money at all! Not to say that we don't enjoy life, but we prefer to enjoy the things that don't cost much.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 4:42 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
I like luxury. So when I go for manicures, I go to a more expensive place that is more high-end. When I shop, I look for clothes that are elegant and fashionable. When I travel, I prefer a nicer hotel. Not sure if that puts me in the things or experiences category because I like both!

Ok if you were on a budget and had (let’s say) 3k left after all your expenses and savings allotment were used and you wanted to spend it. Disposable income. Would you buy something. Or do something

Which would bring you more JOY

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 5:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Ok if you were on a budget and had (let’s say) 3k left after all your expenses and savings allotment were used and you wanted to spend it. Disposable income. Would you buy something. Or do something

Which would bring you more JOY

I would buy something, unless I felt I needed a vacation, in which case I would go away, but probably spend a good part of that imaginary vacation shopping, which I guess makes me a things person more than an experiences person.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 5:08 pm
Definitely traveling (see my name). I love road trips, I love exotic locations, I just want to see the world. I'm happy to drive up to Maine (we did that a few years ago) and I'm happy to go to Thailand.

I don't mind spending money on things that make my life easier like a new dishwasher. I don't love buying stuff that doesn't have much of a purpose.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 5:18 pm
I'm going with experiences (and they're not always about you). My best friend and I did a girls trip to Rhode Island for a week to see the gorgeous Newport mansions and roam around antique shops. My husband and I travel to gorgeous, exotic locations and have amazing, 5 star luxury experiences. I take my kids to Busch Gardens in Orlando or to Atlantis, in the Bahamas, because it makes us all happy. We don't buy fancy or trendy clothes (mainly because we don't really care) but we will spend to rent a private boat for a day to see different islands. Our experiences don't have to be expensive but when we choose to go all out, it's for all of us and the experience of it. For example, we have first class plane tickets to Israel for the five of us. That's part of the trip experience. Obviously this isn't for everyone but it works for us.

bernadette

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:32 pm
Some things become an experience.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 10:51 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Are books things or experiences? Or both?

Not spending 3K on anything, but my new books for Yom Tov are at least as important as new clothes (and I don't think I'm getting any new clothes this Pesach, but I've already gaining satisfaction from contemplating the little pile of books awaiting my leisure over Chol HaMoed.)

Me, too. I should add, I like buying books when they come out right away and not having to wait weeks or months to borrow from the library. It just feels very luxurious to me, opening up a package that I preordered with the pristine brand new copy that was delivered the day of publication or shortly after. It's kinda like an experience, not just a "thing" in that way.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 16 2021, 11:49 pm
saw50st8 wrote:
Definitely traveling (see my name). I love road trips, I love exotic locations, I just want to see the world. I'm happy to drive up to Maine (we did that a few years ago) and I'm happy to go to Thailand.

I don't mind spending money on things that make my life easier like a new dishwasher. I don't love buying stuff that doesn't have much of a purpose.

Now, after all these years on here I can finally make sense of your screen name! Thanks for the explanation!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics