Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Who did not get a stimulus in the US, and are you tight?
1  2  3  Next

In the US did you get the stimulus
Yes  
 58%  [ 115 ]
No  
 38%  [ 76 ]
Other, explain  
 2%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 196

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 6:03 pm
After hearing about all the Mosdos calling people to fundraise their stimulus money, I want to know how many people did not get a stimulus this time, and if you don’t have extra money now.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 6:12 pm
Didn't get, and could really use it. Not sure how to answer your poll since the subject line says did you get (no) and the poll question says did you not get and are you tight (yes).

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 6:30 pm
I did not hear of any mosdos asking for stimulus money.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 6:32 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

My sons school, not part of a mosdos called to ask if we would pay off the tuition balance with the stimulus money. We have not received any stimulus at all due to an issue we have with the IRS and yes money is very tight. The schools understands what our issue is and are being very nice about it though.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 6:37 pm
We are super tight. Like one account is negative and the other has $5 in it. There was a problem with our last years tax return and we needed to amend it. We’re still waiting for last years tax return, this years tax return, last stimulus check and this stimulus check. Every day I daven and I know that HaShem can do anything whenever. So when He decides it’s right for us to get the $, it will come in.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 6:41 pm
We don’t qualify for the stimulus as we make over 150k. We are really tight and could use every extra dollar... I can’t understand why the cutoff is 150k. As my accountant says, they should have called it at 250k

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Mar 19 2021, 6:56 pm
Didn’t get it. BH my husband and I still have our jobs and had to dip into our savings just a little.

doodlesmom

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 9:16 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:

I’ve gotten at least one automated phone call that since we Americans have extra money in our pockets we should give to.....

And as you can see by this thread it’s not exactly the case.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:15 pm
I didn't file 2019 taxes. Hope to file soon (complicated)

professor

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:27 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
We don’t qualify for the stimulus as we make over 150k. We are really tight and could use every extra dollar... I can’t understand why the cutoff is 150k. As my accountant says, they should have called it at 250k

Same here. We could really use the money

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:34 pm
We did receive it but its long gone. We don't have a penny to our name and need to pay off our large debts. Bh we were able to pay off some of the debt.

amother
Cerise

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:44 pm
Did not get stimulus. I have ten kids and earn low 200s. Never eligible for programs. No fafsa for sem. My schools do not give us off. Are tight but b"h on the giving end by keeping our house/mortgage small and driving cars from 2006/2008. Also careful with clothes shopping and prepared foods . We are the middle class and in the frum community are especially squeezed.
All this talk about how to spend the stimulus grates on my nerves but I take a deep breath and remind myself that parnassa is from Hashem and he did not mean this to go to me (and I try to limit my anxiety about future taxes interest rates)

amother
Plum

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:50 pm
Did not qualify but I'm tight because I budget rather than use all money available.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:52 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:

And those making 250k would then say it should of made it 350k
Ain l dovar sof

As it is, our children and grand children will be in debt for life

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:55 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
And those making 250k would then say it should of made it 350k
Ain l dovar sof

As it is, our children and grand children will be in debt for life

Agreed. But the cutoff could have been based on more factors than just agi. Family size really makes a difference to how much money someone has...

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:07 am
We make between150-160 with 6 elementary/high school age kids. The money would’ve been helpful but we’ll be ok bH. We aren’t wealthy but surviving. Yom tov is tighter.
I wish number of kids would’ve been factored in.

I could hear if schools asked for the ma’aser money on the stimulus from ppl who are on scholarship. For some ppl that is huge amount of money.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:20 am
I think it’s horrible of them.
They all got PPP money, and didn't give us a tuition break even though school was closed for 3 months last year. But now when we get some money we need to share it with them.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 3:29 am
Yes we got it. However it's long gone. The schools, cc company ( 90k plus in depth). Grocery, landlord, all demanding that we give them the stimulus check! How do we tell them nothing is left?

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:25 am
I’m surprised how many people got it. How are frum people living on less than 150? We got a very small amount because we’re almost at the cutoff. BH we can pay our bills, but we are always tight. We would definitely not manage on less.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 5:59 am
We're living on far less than 150, with double digit kids. About 110 on this year's taxes (I declare everything). Granted, we don't have NYC rent, but even if we added 12k to even that out we'd still be well under.

Last year, we were at 70 or so on our tax return.

How do we do it?

The answer is that a lot of the things that are musts are just not, when you don't have it.

Of course, medicaid (no health insurance costs) and food stamps (which ensure that it's never heat vs food) help a lot. Tuition discounts too.

And then just a lot of "no." No car. No new clothes. No diapers until we run out. No new shoes. No dryer for a few months until one goes on sale. No tips for the teachers. No ponytail holders.

It's not as hard as you think, especially when the credit cards are all maxed out and the bank account is empty. You can't say yes, so you say no.

And so the rent gets paid (late + the late fee but there was no choice because we were so behind), the electric bill gets paid before it gets shut off, the heat gets paid, the diapers get bought when we run out. When the food stamps run out we just use whatever we have in the pantry. (This made COVID last year, when the stores were empty and we had no stocked up food, very difficult.) The tuition (at least most of it) gets paid... eventually.

This year we are B"H in a much, much better place.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics