Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Who did not get a stimulus in the US, and are you tight?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

In the US did you get the stimulus
Yes  
 58%  [ 115 ]
No  
 38%  [ 76 ]
Other, explain  
 2%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 196

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 6:21 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
We're living on far less than 150, with double digit kids. About 110 on this year's taxes (I declare everything). Granted, we don't have NYC rent, but even if we added 12k to even that out we'd still be well under.

Last year, we were at 70 or so on our tax return.

How do we do it?

The answer is that a lot of the things that are musts are just not, when you don't have it.

Of course, medicaid (no health insurance costs) and food stamps (which ensure that it's never heat vs food) help a lot. Tuition discounts too.

And then just a lot of "no." No car. No new clothes. No diapers until we run out. No new shoes. No dryer for a few months until one goes on sale. No tips for the teachers. No ponytail holders.

It's not as hard as you think, especially when the credit cards are all maxed out and the bank account is empty. You can't say yes, so you say no.

And so the rent gets paid (late + the late fee but there was no choice because we were so behind), the electric bill gets paid before it gets shut off, the heat gets paid, the diapers get bought when we run out. When the food stamps run out we just use whatever we have in the pantry. (This made COVID last year, when the stores were empty and we had no stocked up food, very difficult.) The tuition (at least most of it) gets paid... eventually.

This year we are B"H in a much, much better place.

Sorry but that sounds very hard.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:35 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
There was a problem with our last years tax return and we needed to amend it. We’re still waiting for last years tax return, this years tax return, last stimulus check and this stimulus check. Every day I daven and I know that HaShem can do anything whenever. So when He decides it’s right for us to get the $, it will come in.

Same.

Lady A

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 8:57 am
This year we earned too much to qualify.
I wasn’t in favor of the stimulus package, a lot of fluff that has nothing to do with the corona virus.

FYI, get ready to see your taxes go through the roof in return for this ‘stimulus’.🤬

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 9:38 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I think it’s horrible of them.
They all got PPP money, and don’t give us a tuition break even though school was closed for 3 months last year. But now when we get some money we need to share it with them.

Personally I think it depends on how much schools charge tuition. I grew up OOT and my parents paid over 10k tuition to regular BY. Boys high school was closer to 18k. My siblings OOT still pay that.

To me it boggles the mind that schools here charge 5k for for elementary and 10k for high school and tons of ppl get discounts. It impossible that is supporting a school.
So I think if schools have many scholarships and charge rock bottom tuition that doesn’t the expenses this seems like another way to stay afloat it makes sense they are trying to raise money.

professor

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:48 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
We did receive it but its long gone. We don't have a penny to our name and need to pay off our large debts. Bh we were able to pay off some of the debt.

That's what would have happened if we would have gotten it. CC dept would have been paid with it, grocery, tuition etc. Oh well.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 10:55 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
Personally I think it depends on how much schools charge tuition. I grew up OOT and my parents paid over 10k tuition to regular BY. Boys high school was closer to 18k. My siblings OOT still pay that.

To me it boggles the mind that schools here charge 5k for for elementary and 10k for high school and tons of ppl get discounts. It impossible that is supporting a school.
So I think if schools have many scholarships and charge rock bottom tuition that doesn’t the expenses this seems like another way to stay afloat it makes sense they are trying to raise money.

You are not understanding what I am saying.
They got PPP funds but still charged tuition even though school was closed. We had no zoom, no phone classes. Nothing.
My son's Cheder got $250K in PPP, they told the melamdim to go on unemployment.
So they were getting tuition and PPP, and were not even paying their staff.
That means they earned quite a bit of money last year.
Now when I got a measly $5600 after having a difficult financial year, they are asking for it.
No sirree. You got yours, I paid my tuition on time, and these are for my bills. I ain't donating any of it.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:05 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Did not get stimulus. I have ten kids and earn low 200s. Never eligible for programs. No fafsa for sem. My schools do not give us off. Are tight but b"h on the giving end by keeping our house/mortgage small and driving cars from 2006/2008. Also careful with clothes shopping and prepared foods . We are the middle class and in the frum community are especially squeezed.
All this talk about how to spend the stimulus grates on my nerves but I take a deep breath and remind myself that parnassa is from Hashem and he did not mean this to go to me (and I try to limit my anxiety about future taxes interest rates)

Curious what job pays 200k?

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:25 am
We didn't get it yet, we will this week. We don't need the money per se. It's going into savings, presumably for a down payment.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:26 am
They got PPP funds but still charged tuition even though school was closed. We had no zoom, no phone classes. Nothing.
Now when I got a measly $5600 after having a difficult financial year, they are asking for it.
No sirree. You got yours, I paid my tuition on time, and these are for my bills. I ain't donating any of it.

Your right. That is bad. Most schools I know of had something.

Lady A

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:31 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

Business people, beginning physicians, higher end IT professionals to name a few.

rgr

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:46 am

I thought you couldn't get the ppp unless you keep all your staff on payroll

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:03 pm
rgr wrote:
I thought you couldn't get the ppp unless you keep all your staff on payroll

You only had to keep them on payroll for the period that you paid them. So the melamdim went on unemployment from March- June, and then they used the PPP to pay them from June-August.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:13 pm
I have 4 kids we made under 100k 2020( we always do but even being on unemployment) I am self employed and my personal taxes are high. I am very happy we got the stimulus but we need it it's not extra. Also we never qualified for any programs ever!! We always made a tiny bit over so it really helps us we paid up a lot of credit card and medical bills. And are able to keep up month to month. Now is it good in the long term economy don't think so but most of the money in the bill did not go to people .

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:19 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:

It is two full time jobs..... (Each 40+ hours a week)

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:50 pm

Can I politely ask why you want to stay with this school
Based on your post, they sound very nefarious and avaricious
How does one acquire Torah and YS from such a place

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 3:16 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

Are your own children in schools? You seem to not like them very much.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 4:05 pm
PP... my children are in their 20s , what is your point

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 4:15 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:

All schools are the same where I live. They all did this.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 4:44 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
PP... my children are in their 20s , what is your point

My point is that whenever schools, especially Lakewood schools come in, you are so bitter and rant about how terrible they are.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 7:25 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
My point is that whenever schools, especially Lakewood schools come in, you are so bitter and rant about how terrible they are.

You clearly have severe reading comprehension problems

1...the poster I quoted and myself did not say a word about Lakewood
What makes you say we are talking about L

If a pizza shop or sheitl macher or shoe or any other business treated me like this I would cease my relationship with them unless they made the pizza in the world and I was hooked...
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics