Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Questions about yogurt
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:22 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Question to those who are ok with all the added sugar- how do you feel about juice? About soda?

Oh come on, you're really comparing yogurts to juice and soda?! Yogurts have plenty of healthy components too, ya know. Just for the record, many juices don't have added sugar. I'm by far not this health fanatic. "I won't let my kids eat yogurt because it has added sugar?". Not me. Just not my style. Sorry but sorry.

honey36

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:40 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Yes and there are lots of moms who have no issues giving their kids coke either! And I’m not trying to debate. I don’t ask a nutritionist or my Ped what an appropriate breakfast options that my kids will eat unless they’re going to pay for it and cook/prepare it for me. But I’m glad you found other like minded moms in these responses.

That's not the point. I'm ok with my kids having coke also, but not as a nutritious food. They can have it as a treat/dessert after they've eaten a decent amount of "real food".

Really I don't care what other moms feed their kids. I understand there are very picky kids, it's hard to always prepare healthy food, ok, I get that. I'm just surprised that so many people think sweetened yogurt is "real food".

mizle10

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:41 am
Then I’m assuming your kids don’t either have for breakfast:

Muffins, homemade, with whole wheat flour and oats and even yes, sugar
Oatmeal packets
Hot chocolate in a hot cup on the way to school on a cold winter day
Smoothies- frozen fruit and juice
Most cereals
Farina with sugar added in
Juice, chocolate milk
Pancakes/waffles

Honestly, I don’t care. It’s healthy enough for me, there are nutrients in there. Bh my kids are all healthy and thriving.

Teomima

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:41 am
We eat mostly unsweetened plain yogurt, though I prefer a mildly sweetened yogurt myself and sometimes my kids eat that, too. The thing to remember its there's lactic sugars so even unsweetened yogurt has sugar in it on the label. The amount of added sugar for the sweetened kind really isn't that much (though I have a feeling there's probably more sugar in the yogurts in the States than in Israel).

My kids don't eat much junk at all. We don't keep treats or cookies in the house, they don't drink sodas or juice, so whatever sugar is in the yogurt, or in the granola we like to eat with it, doesn't really bother me.

Last edited by Teomima on Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total

mizle10

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:42 am
honey36 wrote:
That's not the point. I'm ok with my kids having coke also, but not as a nutritious food. They can have it as a treat/dessert after they've eaten a decent amount of "real food".

Really I don't care what other moms feed their kids. I understand there are very picky kids, it's hard to always prepare healthy food, ok, I get that. I'm just surprised that so many people think sweetened yogurt is "real food".

OOC, what do your kids eat for breakfast?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:48 am
honey36 wrote:

This reminds me of the BC thread where someone kept saying, Be on BC if you need it but keep in mid it’s not ideal. Or be ok BC but keep it private because it’s not ok. Like, give your kids yogurt but don’t THINK it’s real food.. lol this logic makes as little sense to me as your not understanding that I give yogurt in the first place

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:52 am
Right. I mean, some people give their kids hot dogs & deli, others are horrified at the thought of feeding their kids what they consider pure junk. Let everyone do what they want without judging others' food decisions or feeling superior about their own.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 11:53 am
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Right. I mean, some people give their kids hot dogs & deli, others are horrified at the thought of feeding their kids what they consider pure junk. Let everyone do what they want without judging others' food decisions or feeling superior about their own.

Lol exactly! I don’t give hot dogs or deli! We all make choices!

honey36

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:22 pm
Im really not judging anyone! Please everyone give your kids whatever you want!

I'm just trying to understand why sweetened yogurt is considered healthy. When I was reading other threads so many people keep mentioning yogurt as a healthy food, and I was curious if/how their kids eat plain yogurt or sweetened yogurt 🙄

Ok I understand it has health benefits, but could it outweigh the amount of sugar in it. Ok, obviously some people think so. Thanks for answering my question. Maybe I'll let my kids have it more often now.

For those who asked, My kids eat low sugar cereal and milk for breakfast- like cheerios 1 gram sugar, rice krispies 3 grams,- oatmeal- I will add in a bit of maple syrup, rice cakes and cheese...
I will give my kids juice, but again as a treat, not a "real food." Same goes for cookies, cakes, hot chocolate etc.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:22 pm
We call regular sweet yogurt "candy yogurt" in our house. I don't like giving it to my kids as a nutritious meal because in my opinion it is not. And I am not a health nut, but this is one of those things we do very much in moderation. Along with juice, soda, deli, hot dogs, sweet cereal, chocolate milk, cake, cookies, things made with puff pastry dough, etc.

jj1236

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:25 pm
We only buy the chobani less sugar yogurts. I'm also not a fan of extra sugar in yogurts even those still have 7 grams but its much better than 12-15 like the usual chobanis.

bsy

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:31 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
The question is why? Why is it a typical breakfast?
Why don't you count the sugar in yogurt?
Im not asking in an accusatory manner or out of spite, I am genuinely curious. The sugar in yogurt is added sugar. It's like pouring spoonfuls of sugar into their meal. I feel like I'm the only one who DOESN'T feed yogurt as a staple, and I can't understand it.

I dont give sweetened yogurt. I mix plain greek yogurt with a spoonful or 2 of flavored yogurt. The flavored yogurt is just like melted ice cream. Loaded with sugar.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:32 pm
honey36 wrote:
Im really not judging anyone! Please everyone give your kids whatever you want!

I'm just trying to understand why sweetened yogurt is considered healthy. When I was reading other threads so many people keep mentioning yogurt as a healthy food, and I was curious if/how their kids eat plain yogurt or sweetened yogurt 🙄

Ok I understand it has health benefits, but could it outweigh the amount of sugar in it. Ok, obviously some people think so. Thanks for answering my question. Maybe I'll let my kids have it more often now.

For those who asked, My kids eat low sugar cereal and milk for breakfast- like cheerios 1 gram sugar, rice krispies 3 grams,- oatmeal- I will add in a bit of maple syrup, rice cakes and cheese...
I will give my kids juice, but again as a treat, not a "real food." Same goes for cookies, cakes, hot chocolate etc.

Well there's obviously different yogurts to choose from. I buy my kids strawberry yogurts that have 8g sugar in an 80g yogurt. Considering that some of it is natural sugars as well, it really isn't much worse than the options you're listing. And you can't compare it to cookies and the like since the protein content is higher.

bsy

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:37 pm
mizle10 wrote:
Then I’m assuming your kids don’t either have for breakfast:

Muffins, homemade, with whole wheat flour and oats and even yes, sugar
Oatmeal packets
Hot chocolate in a hot cup on the way to school on a cold winter day
Smoothies- frozen fruit and juice
Most cereals
Farina with sugar added in
Juice, chocolate milk
Pancakes/waffles

Honestly, I don’t care. It’s healthy enough for me, there are nutrients in there. Bh my kids are all healthy and thriving.

I mix the flavored oatmeal packets with plain oats to reduce the sugar load. The cereal they eat isn't loaded with sugar. those are for Shabbos and I mix it even then with plainer cereals.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:39 pm
When my kid was on modified keto diet we had a very hard time with finding a good CY yogurt.

Leahh

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:41 pm
It's a balance.
Sugar isn't all bad. If given in moderation there's nothing wrong with it.
Overall, yogurt is a good, filling food. So if they have a little added sugar with it it's fine.
I'd rather my kids have that for breakfast than the sugary cereals that have no nutritional value or that they grab a cookie that's full of carbs and sugar.
I do limit the yogurts tho. They have a schedule of what's for breakfast every day and yogurt is only allowed 2 mornings a week. Sometimes they'll also have it for a quick, easy lunch on Friday or Sunday too but overall it's not an unhealthy food.

bsy

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 12:47 pm
I think a lot has to do with generational standards for nutrition. When I was growing up, fat was the enemy and reduced in all diets. Today, science has accepted the harmful effects of sugar and people are much more conscious of the amount of sugar we consume. I grew up with flavored yogurt and straight juice, but I limit sugar for my kids. They are little so I can, and I dont expect to have the same level of control over their food down the line. But for now, I really try to reduce sugar intake by mixing juice with water, diluting chocolate milk with regular milk, adding plain oats to flavored packets, and plain yogurt is mixed with the sugary ones. We dont have "Shabbos cereal" during the week, and on Shabbos its mixed with cheerios or corn flakes etc. Do they never have sugar? No, they do. But I try that healthy meals should stay healthy.

honey36

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:09 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Well there's obviously different yogurts to choose from. I buy my kids strawberry yogurts that have 8g sugar in an 80g yogurt. Considering that some of it is natural sugars as well, it really isn't much worse than the options you're listing. And you can't compare it to cookies and the like since the protein content is higher.

Thank you! I agree that the yogurt you mentioned is nutritious! What I didn't know was that is is "obvious" that you can choose this type of yogurt. I've actually never seen such a thing. All the CY yogurts I see are either plain with no added sugar at all, in which case the kids won't touch them, or loaded with 20grams in a small container. What brand is this strawberry yogurt you mentioned?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:13 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
Everything is ok in moderation, including sugar.
I don't think yogurt is that terrible, actually a lot better than cookies, flavored milk, or juice.
Actually juice is probably a lot worse, it fills kids up so they don't eat. Yogurt has calcium and protein.

I literally don't know a single person who'd give any of these things to kids for breakfast.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:13 pm
honey36 wrote:
Thank you! I agree that the yogurt you mentioned is nutritious! What I didn't know was that is is "obvious" that you can choose this type of yogurt. I've actually never seen such a thing. All the CY yogurts I see are either plain with no added sugar at all, in which case the kids won't touch them, or loaded with 20grams in a small container. What brand is this strawberry yogurt you mentioned?

I live in Israel so maybe the options here are healthier?

(I find that strange though since most foods here are FULL of sugar, eg. cereals here have way more sugar than what I'm used to.)
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics