Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Siach Yitzchok
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 05 2021, 11:41 pm
Tell me about Siach Yitchok. I am trying to figure out if it would be good to send our boys there. We are not perfect, what kind of families do they accept? What kind of boys get rejected or kicked out?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 12:04 am
What does that mean that you are not perfect ?? Who is?
We send there. Very happy. Small wholesome place. Hebrew is high level of learning. English average. Junior high the English is not taken seriously.
They are not a school for kids who have issues. I have some kids who don’t have problems that did very well. One son isn’t doing well because he has adhd and behavior issues.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 12:08 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
We send there. Very happy. Small wholesome place. Hebrew is high level of learning. English average. Junior high the English is not taken seriously.
They are not a school for kids who have issues. I have some kids who don’t have problems that did very well. One son isn’t doing well because he has adhd and behavior issues.

What kind if issues, I hope to have more kids and it is impossible to tell if one will have adhd or something like that. How is your son doing? What does it mean for him not to do well.

Do some families switch schools because of things like this, do some families have most if their boys there and send their children with problems to a different school?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 12:10 am

I mean we are not perfect yeshivish, we are somewhat yeshivish somewhat modern. Husband and I are both BT.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 12:13 am
He’s in the hallways a lot. Teachers not interested in working with him. This is my personal experience. They don’t have many services there. On purpose. The menahel will tell you straight out that they don’t work with problems.
It’s been getting better but they still want to limit the amount of kids with ieps there. And in terms of frumkeit the parent body is very frum and a lot of very yeshivish families

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 12:19 am
He’s in the hallways a lot. Teachers not interested in working with him. This is my personal experience. They don’t have many services there. On purpose. The menahel will tell you straight out that they don’t work with problems.
It’s been getting better but they still want to limit the amount of kids with ieps there. And in terms of frumkeit the parent body is very frum and a lot of very yeshivish families

all the families I know that send there are very yeshivish. Just wondering if we would be the only family that is not straight yeshivish/ffb. Or if our kids would blend in. (Or if they wouldn't accept us to begin with)

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 12:20 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What kind if issues, I hope to have more kids and it is impossible to tell if one will have adhd or something like that. How is your son doing? What does it mean for him not to do well.

Do some families switch schools because of things like this, do some families have most if their boys there and send their children with problems to a different school?

Most families just send all boys here and of problem crop up try to move that one child. But darchei won’t take the one problem - they want all so then you’re in a predicament to send all.
If you’re somewhat modern then I don’t think Siach is the right place. Maybe look into Ykli or Southshore. Both small and very warm

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 12:22 am
All the boys I know that go to siach have fathers that are still in kollel.
What about Darchei? Thats more open minded I would think.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 12:43 am
Most families just send all boys here and of problem crop up try to move that one child. But darchei won’t take the one problem - they want all so then you’re in a predicament to send all.
If you’re somewhat modern then I don’t think Siach is the right place. Maybe look into Ykli or Southshore. Both small and very warm
my impression was that ykli and southshore are more modern schools. Definitely not what we are looking for. We would consider darchei. My husband is in kollel part time now, 6th year, but identifies with chofetz chaim, and no black hat.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 1:48 am
YKLI is mixed I do think they have chofetz chaim no black hat type. I would look into it more.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:15 am
Are there any bt parents at siach?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:17 am
Many of the parents at Siach are BT or people who grew up more modern and are very yeshivish.

We wanted to send there but our oldest had an IEP and were told by the school to send to Darchei. We definitely felt more comfortable with the parent body at Siach initially, but have found many many yeshivish people at Darchei (many to the right of us). B”h our son has thrived there with the full support of staff and therapists.

Also, when your son enters first grade at Darchei you can choose the families you want (aka the hashkafa) of the other families in your son’s class. (Aka there is a chinuch class, a five towns class, a working yeshivish class, etc).

Siach also has strict rules about technology which is something to look into.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:24 am
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
Many of the parents at Siach are BT or people who grew up more modern and are very yeshivish.

We wanted to send there but our oldest had an IEP and were told by the school to send to Darchei. We definitely felt more comfortable with the parent body at Siach initially, but have found many many yeshivish people at Darchei (many to the right of us). B”h our son has thrived there with the full support of staff and therapists.

Also, when your son enters first grade at Darchei you can choose the families you want (aka the hashkafa) of the other families in your son’s class. (Aka there is a chinuch class, a five towns class, a working yeshivish class, etc).

Siach also has very strict rules about technology which is something to look into.
Technology rules are one of the attractions, what are siachs rules, what are darchei’s rules.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:50 am
I don't know the exact Siach rules, so others can post about that.

With Darchei I believe that the main requirement is that a filter is required for every device. Also they sent home a list of general guidelines for technology usage in the home a few months ago.

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:10 am
I don’t send to siach but off my head the few people I know who do are BT’s.
Also, ykli is not modern at all compared to darchei. I would say it’s actually completely comparable. The difference is that it’s a smaller, much more exclusive school. Not really kollel families, mostly or all comfortable working families.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:11 am

My brother sends there and his kids are constantly kicked out for behavioral issues. They don’t seem to have the tools to work with kids that are not angels. Otherwise they are a good school.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:23 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:
My brother sends there and his kids are constantly kicked out for behavioral issues. They don’t seem to have the tools to work with kids that are not angels. Otherwise they are a good school.
kicked out permanently or suspended?

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 8:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
my impression was that ykli and southshore are more modern schools. Definitely not what we are looking for. We would consider darchei. My husband is in kollel part time now, 6th year, but identifies with chofetz chaim, and no black hat.

I can not imagine that if ur husband is chofetz chaim that he will be comfortable with siach. It’s very different kind of chinuch. I don’t imagine there are any other cc families there..

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:14 am
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
I can not imagine that if ur husband is chofetz chaim that he will be comfortable with siach. It’s very different kind of chinuch. I don’t imagine there are any other cc families there..

Agreed. Siach is officially a chassidish school. While most the parents are not chassidish, they all have an appreciation it. Many rabbeim are chassidish and commute from boro park. I would definitely recommend darchai. It is a huge mix but classes are divided by family type so if you are more right wing you will be put in a similar class.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 10:40 am
I think you should look into ykli.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics