Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Siach Yitzchok
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 1:00 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I think you should look into ykli.

Thank you, why do you recommend ykli, can you elaborate?

cnc

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 1:03 pm
What’s ykli?

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 1:13 pm
cnc wrote:
What’s ykli?

Yeshiva Katana of Long Island. It's in Inwood.

amother
Black

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 1:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
kicked out permanently or suspended?

Suspended. Sometimes on a weekly basis. He has 4 sons there so there is always someone being sent home.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 2:48 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, why do you recommend ykli, can you elaborate?

Based on how you describe yourself I think you would like the parent body and the school. It’s smaller and warmer then darchei and less yeshivish then Siach.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 2:50 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Based on how you describe yourself I think you would like the parent body and the school. It’s smaller and warmer then darchei and less yeshivish then Siach.

Siach isn’t considered mainstream yeshivish.. it’s chassidish leaning and much of the parent body is former flip outs

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:06 pm
amother [ Seablue ] wrote:
Siach isn’t considered mainstream yeshivish.. it’s chassidish leaning and much of the parent body is former flip outs

This is not true although many of the younger grade rebbeim are chassidesh most of the student body isn't with maybe one or two chassidesh per class and definitely not chassidesh learning. They officially say students may not have access to internet although from what I see most don't fallow this. It is a lot of former flip outs, and their are some more five townsy kids not everyone is super right wing. Hebrew studies is on a much higher level than darchei and ykli, english subjects is pretty average but in the older grades its a complete joke Hiding

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:12 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
This is not true although many of the younger grade rebbeim are chassidesh most of the student body isn't with maybe one or two chassidesh per class and definitely not chassidesh learning. They officially say students may not have access to internet although from what I see most don't fallow this. It is a lot of former flip outs, and their are some more five townsy kids not everyone is super right wing. Hebrew studies is on a much higher level than darchei and ykli, english subjects is pretty average but in the older grades its a complete joke Hiding

Very accurate

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 3:25 pm
The families I know who send there love how low key it is. There is much less pressure to “keep up with the Jones’s” than what you’ll experience in the other local schools. I know at least one kid with an IEP who is doing well there, even if other schools do provide more support.

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 5:01 pm

That’s why I said it’s not mainstream yeshivish... the more classic mainstream yeshivish would not send there.. they would be in the yeshivish class in Darchei...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 5:28 pm
what are flip outs?

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 5:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what are flip outs?

Like people who came from MO backgrounds and went more towards the right. A number of these types of people the husband's went to Shor Yoshuv which has historically been connected to Siach.

My husband is one such type. He grew up MO, became out of the box Chassidish. We considered Siach but our son has a significant IEP and would not have done well there.

Optione

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:11 pm
I'll chime in re: IEPs: they hired someone last year who is strictly a service coordinator. Her entire job is filling the iep mandates and overseeing the providers as well as helping parents start the evaluation process should a student need it.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 6:51 pm
Just chiming in here as a thrilled darchei parent. I get upset when people say darchei isn't a warm school. Do you send there? I have found my sons THRIVE under the warmth of the rabbeim. It is an excellent school with a very mixed parent body hashkafa.

Siach does not have a mixed hashkafa. I agree there are many "flip outs" who send. These people are hard core yeshivish. Not yeshivish light, at all.
YKLI is very very similar to darchei in hashkafa, warmth and learning. It is very difficult to get in as it is a smaller school so keep that in mind. Parent body tends to be more comfortable financially than the other two, who have more of a mix.

hello3

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:06 pm
I’m a siach parent. Most descriptions are accurate. My son has long payos but he also watches clean stuff. Most of his class are not necessarily learning families but Torahdig ones, those who value the rules and not fight them. I find that the Darchei families struggle with the rules and a nice amount of them don’t follow whereas in the siach parent body you will find loyalty, whoever doesn’t like it, doesn’t send there. It’s that simple. There are a bunch of flip outs but they all mainstreamed. We are extremely happy and my next son is going next year as well...

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:23 pm
hello3 wrote:
I’m a siach parent. Most descriptions are accurate. My son has long payos but he also watches clean stuff. Most of his class are not necessarily learning families but Torahdig ones, those who value the rules and not fight them. I find that the Darchei families struggle with the rules and a nice amount of them don’t follow whereas in the siach parent body you will find loyalty, whoever doesn’t like it, doesn’t send there. It’s that simple. There are a bunch of flip outs but they all mainstreamed. We are extremely happy and my next son is going next year as well...

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the bolded, but I do agree that typically, sending to siach is more of a deliberate choice. There are many 'types' in darchei, ranging from the extremely yeshivish to fairly modern. Siach, on the other hand, is really only for those families that are pretty to the right. If you don't like the restrictions that come with sending to such a school, you wouldn't be there in the first place. I send to darchei, and so far I am pretty happy. No school is perfect but I haven't regretted my choice to send there.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:27 pm
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the bolded, but I do agree that typically, sending to siach is more of a deliberate choice. There are many 'types' in darchei, ranging from the extremely yeshivish to fairly modern. Siach, on the other hand, is really only for those families that are pretty to the right. If you don't like the restrictions that come with sending to such a school, you wouldn't be there in the first place. I send to darchei, and so far I am pretty happy. No school is perfect but I haven't regretted my choice to send there.

And as a Darchei parent I found her comment rather rude and elitist.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:46 pm
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
Just chiming in here as a thrilled darchei parent. I get upset when people say darchei isn't a warm school. Do you send there? I have found my sons THRIVE under the warmth of the rabbeim. It is an excellent school with a very mixed parent body hashkafa.

Siach does not have a mixed hashkafa. I agree there are many "flip outs" who send. These people are hard core yeshivish. Not yeshivish light, at all.
YKLI is very very similar to darchei in hashkafa, warmth and learning. It is very difficult to get in as it is a smaller school so keep that in mind. Parent body tends to be more comfortable financially than the other two, who have more of a mix.

How would you describe “yeshivish lite”

hello3

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 7:48 pm
amother [ Hyacinth ] wrote:
And as a Darchei parent I found her comment rather rude and elitist.

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to sound like that. But I work in tag and many families cross paths with Darchei and I see how much they struggle with the rules. I also have quite a few friends that either their husbands are rabbeim in Darchei or send to Darchei and it sounds that other than the far Rockaway classes, people don’t follow.

amother
Buttercup

Post Sun, Jun 06 2021, 9:50 pm
hello3 wrote:
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to sound like that. But I work in tag and many families cross paths with Darchei and I see how much they struggle with the rules. I also have quite a few friends that either their husbands are rabbeim in Darchei or send to Darchei and it sounds that other than the far Rockaway classes, people don’t follow.

Do they segregate FR and 5 Towns classes?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics