Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
The Royal Family
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 9:51 pm
There seems to be an obsession on this site with the royal family. Has anyone who is obsessed with the royals and can’t stand Harry and Meghan actually read into the history? Based on biographies and interviews, it would seem William (and Kate) is the only decent family member. I would have said Harry but he’s proven otherwise the past year.

People vilify Meghan and Harry but do they even know how awful the royal family was to Charles, and how awful Charles was to Diana? The queen changed, to reflect public sentiment, but does that undo years of unemotional unsupportive mothering of Charles?
Did you know 3/4 of the queen’s children’s marriageable failed - doesn’t that say something about the family?

Harry and Meghan are no saints but they’re just like most of the rest of the royal family - William and Kate excluded (as much as we know anyway).

trixx

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 10:04 pm
We just like Kate's outfits. The entire royal history is bloody and terrifying.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 10:08 pm
trixx wrote:
We just like Kate's outfits. The entire royal history is bloody and terrifying.

Thanks for this honest and refreshing answer!

amother
Jasmine

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 10:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks for this honest and refreshing answer!

I'm kind of enjoying Harry and Megan. I think the queen and Charles deserve it for their treatment of Diana.

Crookshanks

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 11:32 pm
I'm not really into the royal family but I like following Kate. She seems cool.

amother
Chicory

Post Sat, Jun 12 2021, 11:39 pm
I don’t follow them much but enjoy it as entertainment sometimes.
I do know for sure though that since Meghan played victim on Oprah’s show, I really despise her.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:26 am
This site is obsessed? There are more threads discussing doona strollers!! (or wtvr a doona is!) LOL

I've always had a secret symparthy for Charles and I think he was treated really badly, which he obviously didn't deal well with. And I think Camilla gets a lot of hate just because she isn't as good looking as Diana, Kate etc.

But I think Charles is actually a really impressive and thoughtful person.

I used to be symparthetic towards Meghan but that interview made her lose a lot of credibility in my eyes.

Crookshanks

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:30 am
Who's Camilla?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:39 am
Crookshanks wrote:
Who's Camilla?

Charles’ mistress whom he later married.
Charles married Diana knowing he loved someone else.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:49 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Charles’ mistress whom he later married.
Charles married Diana knowing he loved someone else.

His whole story is sad. He would have been totally accepted a century ago since it was the norm to have a royal mistress.
If he had married her when she was 18 before he went off to the military, he would have been happier and under less scrutiny. (Given, his kids would’ve been less attractive…)

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:49 am
Crookshanks wrote:
Who's Camilla?

My point exactly.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 4:54 am
Iymnok wrote:
His whole story is sad. He would have been totally accepted a century ago since it was the norm to have a royal mistress.
If he had married her when she was 18 before he went off to the military, he would have been happier and under less scrutiny. (Given, his kids would’ve been less attractive…)

But the royal family was so particular (in a dysfunctional way) about whom he could marry, putting their impositions ahead of his happiness.

They don’t sound to me like the kind of family that should be vociferously defended in the face of Harry and Meghan’s accusations.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 6:02 am
I enjoy analyzing people’s behavior and why they do things. The royal family is interesting because they have to maintain public personas that are different from their real selves, which we all do, but their situation is more extreme and unrelenting. They don’t seem any more dysfunctional than many regular families, but they have the added burden of being in the public eye and being responsible for the continuation of a monarchy that has mixed support from the people, as well as the added complexity of having tons of money and privilege while also having so many limitations in their freedom.

I consider Meghan and Harry rather predictable and not worth focusing on. They will drift away and be irrelevant (while still trying to milk their story for $$). I find the positive pr around William and Catherine much more interesting. They’re both complex characters. He seems to be a difficult person to live with, very uptight and wanting things his way. The press has recently been turning Catherine into an angel. She wasn’t always spun that way. As the time for Charles to become king draws closer, they’re doing everything to make Catherine popular. I think because there’s a strong fear that Charles/Camilla will mark the end of the monarchy since they’re so unpopular. I find it interesting that people on imamother “adore” Catherine. There are a lot of people behind the scenes polishing that image, I find it interesting that people swallow it. Let’s be real, she went to St. Andrew’s to meet him (took a gap year so they’d start at the same time), and planned her whole life around marrying the heir. Back when she was Waity Katie people didn’t admire a young woman spending the bulk of her 20s doing nothing much careerwise or otherwise, just waiting for the ring. I always wonder why the idea of marrying William was so appealing? What truly deeply motivates Catherine?

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 6:55 am
Raisin wrote:
This site is obsessed? There are more threads discussing doona strollers!! (or wtvr a doona is!) LOL

I've always had a secret symparthy for Charles and I think he was treated really badly, which he obviously didn't deal well with. And I think Camilla gets a lot of hate just because she isn't as good looking as Diana, Kate etc.

But I think Charles is actually a really impressive and thoughtful person.

I used to be symparthetic towards Meghan but that interview made her lose a lot of credibility in my eyes.

No way. Camilla is not liked because she interfered in someone's marriage. She kept up her relationship with Charles even though he was already married which broke Diana. It is Charles responsibility too but we won't forget her part either.

However sweet and nice they seem to be nowadays, they were both horrid to Diana.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 7:02 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
I consider Meghan and Harry rather predictable and not worth focusing on. They will drift away and be irrelevant (while still trying to milk their story for $$). I find the positive pr around William and Catherine much more interesting. They’re both complex characters. He seems to be a difficult person to live with, very uptight and wanting things his way.

Actually, they are pretty straight forward and predictable. Williams personality is an ESFJ, he values tradition and therefore he's so suitable for this role as heir to the thrown. Kate is also pretty predictable.

They are actually quite similar to each other besides for the fact that he is an extrovert and she an introvert. But it does make sense for him to be a little stronger, he is a man after all.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 7:04 am
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
No way. Camilla is not liked because she interfered in someone's marriage. She kept up her relationship with Charles even though he was already married which broke Diana. It is Charles responsibility too but we won't forget her part either.

However sweet and nice they seem to be nowadays, they were both horrid to Diana.

And he constantly chased after her…

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 7:06 am
Iymnok wrote:
And he constantly chased after her…

It takes 2 for a relationship to flourish.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 7:21 am
amother [ Canary ] wrote:
I enjoy analyzing people’s behavior and why they do things. The royal family is interesting because they have to maintain public personas that are different from their real selves, which we all do, but their situation is more extreme and unrelenting. They don’t seem any more dysfunctional than many regular families, but they have the added burden of being in the public eye and being responsible for the continuation of a monarchy that has mixed support from the people, as well as the added complexity of having tons of money and privilege while also having so many limitations in their freedom.

I consider Meghan and Harry rather predictable and not worth focusing on. They will drift away and be irrelevant (while still trying to milk their story for $$). I find the positive pr around William and Catherine much more interesting. They’re both complex characters. He seems to be a difficult person to live with, very uptight and wanting things his way. The press has recently been turning Catherine into an angel. She wasn’t always spun that way. As the time for Charles to become king draws closer, they’re doing everything to make Catherine popular. I think because there’s a strong fear that Charles/Camilla will mark the end of the monarchy since they’re so unpopular. I find it interesting that people on imamother “adore” Catherine. There are a lot of people behind the scenes polishing that image, I find it interesting that people swallow it. Let’s be real, she went to St. Andrew’s to meet him (took a gap year so they’d start at the same time), and planned her whole life around marrying the heir. Back when she was Waity Katie people didn’t admire a young woman spending the bulk of her 20s doing nothing much careerwise or otherwise, just waiting for the ring. I always wonder why the idea of marrying William was so appealing? What truly deeply motivates Catherine?

Funny this got two hugs...

Gosh people have such strong feelings about the royal family!

Why do people feel such a stake?

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 7:25 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:

Similar to politics. It's always good to get the facts right. If one is gonna bring up some conspiracy theories, it's good to point that out.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Jun 13 2021, 7:32 am
amother [ Amaryllis ] wrote:

I hugged your post not because of any feelings. I hugged it because the posts contains a lot of assumptions on a person you really have little insight to. For example, Catherine doesn't seem like she was just after marrying a heir. If anything, that was Meghan.

People are indeed complex. You applied that complexity to other characters, but made Catherine out to be very simple minded. So your post sounded like an underhanded attack rather than an outside unbiased viewpoint.

Hence, the hug.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics