Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
WHY wake people FOUR times??
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:18 am
I'm so upset right now. There was a tornado watch last night and they had to let us know this in middle of the night. the first blaring alert came in at 3am and stated the watch would end at 3:30am. then at 3:30 they sent another blaring alert extending it another half hour. this happened FOUR times.

1. let people know in advance, before 12 midnight, that a tornado watch is in effect.
2. say it's for a few hours and then if it ends early good for us.
3. in middle of the night most people are asleep and don't need to be updated every half hour.
4. that obnoxious blaring sound is so aggravating and really wakes one up.
5. was I supposed to wake my sleeping children to put them back to sleep downstairs?

so basically I was up all night. every time I woke up I got super anxious and couldnt fall back asleep. I'm pregnant and I need my sleep. it's so unfair that they handle it this way.

and who is THEY? who decides to send out these message and that often in middle of the night??

did you get these alerts? did you wake up too or is it just me? are you upset or totally cool with it?

thank you for allowing me to vent.

amother
Maple

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:31 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm so upset right now. There was a tornado watch last night and they had to let us know this in middle of the night. the first blaring alert came in at 3am and stated the watch would end at 3:30am. then at 3:30 they sent another blaring alert extending it another half hour. this happened FOUR times.

1. let people know in advance, before 12 midnight, that a tornado watch is in effect.
3. in middle of the night most people are asleep and don't need to be updated every half hour.
5. was I supposed to wake my sleeping children to put them back to sleep downstairs?

so basically I was up all night. every time I woke up I got super anxious and couldnt fall back asleep. I'm pregnant and I need my sleep. it's so unfair that they handle it this way.

and who is THEY? who decides to send out these message and that often in middle of the night??

did you get these alerts? did you wake up too or is it just me? are you upset or totally cool with it?

I agree that more thought needs to be put into these alerts. But #1 is just not possible. There isn't much prior warning to tornadoes, and they can pop up just about anytime when there's a strong thunderstorm in the area.

Can you turn the sound off on your phone at night?

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:31 am
I'm also really cranky about it. Each time the darn thing went off it also woke my baby! Bleary eyed mess right now!

amother
Rainbow

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:32 am
Lesson Should have been learned the first time. Turn your phone off

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:35 am
I turned off alerts.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:35 am
Missed the whole thing.

Java

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:42 am
Um... maybe don't keep your phone in your room then? (not just for this reason) I don't understand why this is so complicated

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:44 am
Are you me?
Guess I should turn these alerts off because every device in my house was blaring.
I couldn’t get myself out of bed to the kitchen to turn the rest of the devices off.
Grrrr
And every time I woke up I got leg cramps.
So that was leg cramps times 5 this night.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:46 am
cutestbaby wrote:
Um... maybe don't keep your phone in your room then? (not just for this reason) I don't understand why this is so complicated

Some people need it close by for emergencies. Not everyone has a house phone.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:46 am
cutestbaby wrote:

I need a phone in my room at night for emergencies.
Many people don’t have landlines anymore.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:49 am
Tornados are spontaneous. They don't appear with a 12 hour notice. The alarm is supposed to wake you up so you can get to safety. It's frustrating to miss a night of sleep but baruch hashem your house wasn't hit by the tornado. You should focus on that.

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:53 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

As someone else said, that’s not the way tornados work, and it’s not always possible. It’s not like tropical storm or hurricane warning, where you have hours or days to prepare.
Again, not how that works.
Unless there’s, you know, and emergency situation. Imagine if there really had been a tornado, and there had been no warnings, and people had been killed. “Why were there no warnings????”
That’s the point of the emergency alert sound- to get your attention.
The safest place (in your house) to be during a tornado is either in a storm cellar (which many people don’t have) or in an interior room of the house that has no walls on the outside of the house, such as maybe an interior closet or something.

I’m sorry for that. I’m pregnant too, and even without emergency broadcasts, I’m not sleeping at night.

They are either local or state emergency broadcast systems.

My phone is in my room at night, but it’s on silent. I didn’t see anything when I got up this morning.

Genius

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:54 am
My alarm goes off even when my phone is on silent.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 8:59 am
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:

Phones are personal items and people should have an option to opt out. If my number isn't listed anywhere they should not have access to it.
(And all tablets were blaring too.)

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:02 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Phones are personal items and people should have an option to opt out. If my number isn't listed anywhere they should not have access to it.
(And all tablets were blaring too.)

You can turn off alerts on every device.

Genius

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:05 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:

I didn’t find that option on mine.

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:08 am
Genius wrote:
I didn’t find that option on mine.

On most you go to settings, notifications, and then you should see emergency and govt notifications that can be clicked off

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:09 am
amother [ Bergamot ] wrote:

Thank you.
I just did.

I never minded these alerts until today Yawn Exploding anger At wits end

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:15 am
Those are for your safety. Your government has a responsibility to maintain your safety. That's literally the reason we pay taxes. That's why it exists. Please take a few days to relax and then think the situation over again.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Aug 19 2021, 9:16 am
SafeAtLast wrote:
Thank you.
I just did.

I never minded these alerts until today Yawn Exploding anger At wits end

Actually not seeing the option on flip phones. Oh well.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 21 2021, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries