Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Medicine gemach?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 11:44 pm
My daughter was getting a certain inhaler prescribed through her doctor, and filled at the local pharmacy.

Since my daughter no longer has insurance and the cost is prohibitive, is there a way to get it from a gemach?

She's mamish dependent on this for the times when she has an episode and can't breathe. It's not a daily thing, but she needs to have it on her at all times just in case.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 11:51 pm
My daughter is a pharmacist. I know it is illegal in NY (and most likely most states) to give medication to someone that it is not expressly prescribed to. (Yes there is waste involved at times, but that is the law) Any pharmacist that would give a medication not specifically prescribed to said person can lose their license. Basically what I'm saying is, a gmach like that is illegal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 08 2021, 11:54 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:
My daughter is a pharmacist. I know it is illegal in NY (and most likely most states) to give medication to someone that it is not expressly prescribed to. (Yes there is waste involved at times, but that is the law) Any pharmacist that would give a medication not specifically prescribed to said person can lose their license. Basically what I'm saying is, a gmach like that is illegal.

Could she get it from a gemach if she provides her doctor's prescription? The doctor is willing to see her and prescribe it, but the cost at the pharmacy is prohibitive.
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with how this works, so learning as I go.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:07 am
Is there a way we can help you get your daughter insurance?

Perrys

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:09 am
Which medication is it?

Sometimes there are manufacturers coupons.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 12:38 am
Goodrx is also a great resource. But she really should have insurance

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 2:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My daughter was getting a certain inhaler prescribed through her doctor, and filled at the local pharmacy.

Since my daughter no longer has insurance and the cost is prohibitive, is there a way to get it from a gemach?

She's mamish dependent on this for the times when she has an episode and can't breathe. It's not a daily thing, but she needs to have it on her at all times just in case.

Which inhaler?
Does she not have insurance or does her insurance not cover it?

Batsheva1

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 7:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Could she get it from a gemach if she provides her doctor's prescription? The doctor is willing to see her and prescribe it, but the cost at the pharmacy is prohibitive.
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with how this works, so learning as I go.
Sadly the answer is no to that. Only a legal pharmacy and licensed pharmacist can provide medication. Reused/recycled medication is not legal. There is a lot of waste involved I know. I've had extra medicine over the years collecting in my house. I can't throw it out or flush it down the toilet, it's considered medical waste and can affect the fish in the sea. I have to bring it to the police station or some other place that disposes of it properly. It is wasteful in a sense, but medication is a very serious thing that misused can have serious consequences. There are very strict laws regarding its use and a pharmacist cannot risk losing their license over this. Anyone not authorized to dispense medication can get into serious trouble for doing it. Speak to your doctor about your financial situation. There might be a solution for people that can't afford their medications.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 8:17 pm
Can she qualify for medicaid or child health plus? Is it albuterol? Can we help her get it? Can you get someone to raise money for this?

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:03 pm
Airduo ( generic Advair) is around 30 usd at cvs with good Rx coupon, and albuterol pump is around 20 dollars also with good Rx.
It should last you for at least two weeks and if you qualify for either Medicaid or child health plus as long as you apply before 9/15 you should be good to go by October.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:41 pm
C:\fakepath\16312414894135291021702559904598.jpg
I took a picture of it

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I took a picture of it

This is not viewable. What medicine is this? What is it called?

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:43 pm
Medicine Gemachs are for otc meds.

cbsp

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I took a picture of it

FWIW, after you upload the image you need to copy and paste the imgur url, not the fakepath one (it's below the one you copied and pasted)

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Thu, Sep 09 2021, 10:57 pm
cnc wrote:
Medicine Gemachs are for otc meds.

There are medicine gemachs in some communities for prescription medication but I'm not posting details on here. (Nor should anyone else.)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:48 pm
cbsp wrote:
FWIW, after you upload the image you need to copy and paste the imgur url, not the fakepath one (it's below the one you copied and pasted)

My bad. I didn't have time before Y''T to re-do it.
Here it is:

https://I.imgur.com/bi7ayFJ.jpg

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 5:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My bad. I didn't have time before Y''T to re-do it.
Here it is:

https://I.imgur.com/bi7ayFJ.jpg

Yes this is albuterol. Very easy to get, the doctor may even have free samples to give you. Call around. Do you have another child with insurance?

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:10 pm
Op, where do you live?

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:21 pm
Tbh op, I though you were talking about tobi nebs or some other crazy expensive inhaled meds.
I know it adds up, and even $30-50 a month can be a lot per year but albuterol is fairly inexpensive (and I just dumped a whole lot of expired vials and inhaler TMI).

Wish I can help you, but I think your best bet is contacting your local pharmacy and see what they can offer you, and as pp said- ask your Dr if they have samples.

If you need help getting insurance, perhaps start a new thread and those in the know van help you. The no insurance worries me more...

Eta, I never bought on amazon pharmacy, so don’t know how it works and if there’s some membership needed- but it’s listed as $7.56 there.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Sep 12 2021, 6:29 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
Op, where do you live?

See which forum I posted in?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries