Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Spin off... 1980s
  Previous  1  2  3 14  15 16  17  18  Next

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:19 am
MrsDash wrote:
I remember seeing it for the first time at my sisters house in Lakewood in 1998. Had no clue what it was LOL

LOL. We definitely had it in the later 80's.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:35 am
Dunno if this was posted yet.
I remember when caller ID came out probably in the 90’s. We had just gotten it but my friend hadn’t heard of it yet.
When she called me I picked up: Hi Sury!
She was flabbergasted and asked: how did you know it’s me?
I said: we got this new device that shows me a video of the person who’s calling and I actually see you. Oh your hair is so pretty... what are you wearing? Is that new?
She literally freaked out and yelled: I’m putting down the phone I don’t want you to see me!
Funny thing is that was only caller ID and an unrealistic joke on my part. Who would dream Skype would be so normal 20 years later?
In fact, I remember when cell phones came out and only a select few people had them. My friend had told me that one day when we’ll have kids they’ll each have their separate phone. You won’t need to call home and ask to speak to whoever. I remember thinking: dream on, lady!
At this point I’m saying that the next generation of kids will each own their own driverless car. And I’m pretty sure this will be a reality. 8 car garage anyone? Gotta move to the suburbs real quick.

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:44 am
Chayalle wrote:
I had a Fisher Price dollhouse growing up, and a Fisher price town set.

The town consisted of two rows of buildings, that you connected with a bridge that fit into the ends....it had a traffic light on it with a little button you could press which changed the "light" between red, yellow, and green (I think it was a little revolving thing inside...not electronic.)

The buildings were two stories each, and we had tons of accessories to furnish them. I particularly loved the dentist office, we had these little plastic chairs with a side "cup" attached that looked like the piece where you rinse your mouth.....The doors all had mail slots for "mail" and there was a mailbox.

OMG I found it online

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1.....D_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19288.....D_BwE

I had all of these! OMG that phone booth!

The dollhouse was similar to the Playmobil take-along look - it opened down the middle to two sides, and closed with a latch. It had two stories, and each floor had furniture you could set up - beds, tables, chairs, etc....The door opened and closed and there was a real bell you could pull and sound, of course not on Shabbos!

This is the one I had: https://www.ebay.com/itm/35367.....D_BwE

We had tons of "mentchies" (I knew that was a yiddish word) that were really round bodies with a hole in the center, no arms or legs, and a face on top. Girls (some pigtailed) and boys, taller ones were the adults, some had accessories (like a firehat for the fireman - there was a firestation in town but I don't remember details) or features (the adult with the mustache was our choice for the dentist).

We also had cars, a mailtruck, a firetruck, police car, ambulance and an airplane (and more, probably, that I don't remember). The seats had a center protruding piece so that the hollows of the "metchies" fit in side, so they could be seated.

I spent hours of imaginary play with this.

I'm pretty sure my parents still have that dollhouse, and a couple of random pieces of furniture/menchies floating around somewhere. That was a really cute dollhouse.

amother
Alyssum

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 11:47 am
I didn't go through every single page here so I don't know if this was mentioned yet, and I know I'm an '89 kid, but does anyone remember the original Polly Pockets? The ones with the really tiny people and animals, and such cute houses etc.
Then they started making them bigger, it just wasn't the same anymore...
I still have a bunch of the original ones, and my kids love playing with it when my baby's napping, it's a big treat for them and only gets taken out once in a while.
They have Playmobil, but this is different.

mindyme

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:13 pm
I still have all the mentchies and furniture from when I was a kid. They are smaller and much less detailed than the ones today. I didnt have that house, but I had the sesame street house and clubhouse and the 3 story parking garage. I also had the fire engine (with eyes that moved!) and the camper.
Remember the Fisher Price busy box every single crib had?
Viewmaster - spent hours with that
My little pony
Care bears
my little brother had a big wheel
digital watches were very cool. I think only the boys had them though. Some even had a calculator!
Little Professor to practice math. Remember the waggling eyebrows when you got a right answer?
Speak n Spell (so hard to understand the accent on some of those words!)
Tons of Barbies
Nancy Drew
Tons of lego and playmobil
My brothers had an atari and some games. Remember blowing on the cartridges to make them work? And hooking it up to the TV?
gameboy
Pacman - home version and arcade game. Those annoying little ghosts!

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:20 pm
Were model coats for girls mentioned yet? Our home dresswear.
The one with snaps and one breast pocket?

mindyme

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:23 pm
Oh yes! In fun floral patterns or colorful stripes.

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:24 pm
mindyme wrote:
Card catalogue in the library, replaced by microfiche (anyone remember those?)
Getting a card stamped with due date for your books
In my town at least, all holds were behind the circulation desk and you had to ask for them
no computers in the library
fingerless gloves
huge oversized hair, earrings, shirts... basically everything huge
VHS vs BETA who would win?
Shabbos cereals were much much sweeter than today
slap bracelets
choose your own adventure books (how many ways can you find to die?)
spirograph. Can you believe a kids toy came with pins?
that gross brown glue that came in a bottle with a red top that you had to cut open (without cutting your fingers) I think it was even called mucilage or something which fits
smurfs
fraggle rock
alf
the crank handle to open a car window (works even when the car is off!)
being able to put the car in drive without keeping your foot on the brake (yay kids can drive across the road!)
weirdly shaped phones (all with cords) including a see through one that was really cool
the magic of faxing and the weird noises it made
mr sketch smelly markers that were probably toxic to breathe in. My favorites were licorice, cinnamon and blueberry. The current ones dont smell as good sadly
back to the future
Thinking that "the year 2000" was sooooo far away

How about what library cards used to look like? They were thick paper with a metal bar. It went into this machine that I guess "read" the bar? with a loud chugging noise...

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:33 pm
Don't know if anyone said this yet-but my father had a 'Beeper'. We had a step by step instruction list how to 'beep' him if we had an emergency. We did eventually get a 'car phone'. It was huge and attached to the car. It was very expensive. Don't think many people had those...

artz

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 12:44 pm
how about the little kids telephone with a red string to pull

amother
IndianRed

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:13 pm
mindyme wrote:
I still have all the mentchies and furniture from when I was a kid. They are smaller and much less detailed than the ones today. I didnt have that house, but I had the sesame street house and clubhouse and the 3 story parking garage. I also had the fire engine (with eyes that moved!) and the camper.
Remember the Fisher Price busy box every single crib had?
Viewmaster - spent hours with that
My little pony
Care bears
my little brother had a big wheel
digital watches were very cool. I think only the boys had them though. Some even had a calculator!
Little Professor to practice math. Remember the waggling eyebrows when you got a right answer?
Speak n Spell (so hard to understand the accent on some of those words!)
Tons of Barbies
Nancy Drew
Tons of lego and playmobil
My brothers had an atari and some games. Remember blowing on the cartridges to make them work? And hooking it up to the TV?
gameboy
Pacman - home version and arcade game. Those annoying little ghosts!

Omg Speak n Spell! I can still hear that thing saying "Spell E-O". It took my brother and me weeks to figure out it was saying "Spell echo." Lol!!

mindyme

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 1:26 pm
If you'd like to waste more time lol try this quiz: https://play.howstuffworks.com.....-toys

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:31 pm
I remember going to work with my father in the early 80's, and the computer was the size of a large refrigerator.

I kept busy at a terminal, putting in cards and punching them randomly with holes. What fun!

My father used to donate printer paper to our shul for the Yomim Noraim - the men would use them to place on the floor for Korim. They were the attached-with-perforated-line type, with a green and white alternating strip to them. My brother and I would prepare it Erev Y"T, ripping every couple of papers so each person could get an individual set a few layers thick.....

Not too soon after this, our family got our first PC. I was the only one in my class that had a computer in the house.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:32 pm
My favorite books were:

Younger - The Bobbsy Twins, the Happy Hollisters....later on, Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, the Three Investigators, Trixie Belden....I had most of these.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 2:47 pm
Did we actually get 15 pages in and no one mentioned my 80's obsession, Jem and the Holograms? Pleeeeeease tell me there is another Jem fan here!

Reality

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:02 pm
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
Did we actually get 15 pages in and no one mentioned my 80's obsession, Jem and the Holograms? Pleeeeeease tell me there is another Jem fan here!

Me! I loved that show!! Also loved She-ra. My favorite He-man episodes were when She-ra would be on it too!!

Who remembers USA Cartoon Express?

chanchy123

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:10 pm
amother [ Alyssum ] wrote:
I'm pretty sure my parents still have that dollhouse, and a couple of random pieces of furniture/menchies floating around somewhere. That was a really cute dollhouse.

Mine do too (although we did not call them menchies), I had a house, a farm, a school bus and a plane. I was so jealous of my friends and cousins who had the cool garage thing with the ramps you can race on.
I never got one because I was a girl.

MrsDash

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:16 pm
Reality wrote:
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
Me! I loved that show!! Also loved She-ra. My favorite He-man episodes were when She-ra would be on it too!! Who remembers USA Cartoon Express?

Just say no to drugs Cool

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:17 pm
amother [ Caramel ] wrote:
Were model coats for girls mentioned yet? Our home dresswear.
The one with snaps and one breast pocket?

I had a denim one with a maroon satin stripe on the pocket. It was the coolest thing

mindyme

Post Wed, Nov 24 2021, 3:30 pm
Chayalle wrote:
My favorite books were:

Younger - The Bobbsy Twins, the Happy Hollisters....later on, Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, the Three Investigators, Trixie Belden....I had most of these.

B is for Betsy
Ramona series
Judy Blume books
Mouse and the motorcycle
Beverly Cleary books in general
the Littles - loved those
In the Bobbsey twins they refer to their household help as "colored" I had never heard the term and remember at the time wondering what color she was - purple? green?
Page 15 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 14  15 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics