Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Prepared food in the house
1  2  Next

advocate

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:01 pm
When we were first married, we heard Rabbi Moshe Aaron Stern speak, and he exhorted women to always have prepared food in house.

I really have not lived up to that!

I would like to ask for very specific suggestions of chicken cutlet dishes that I can freeze that are already cooked that will still be tasty, though having been frozen.

My mother wasn't a "freezer" and so neither am I. I am lucky if I have challah in the freezer! I rarely make a fleishig dish and then put it in the freezer before it is served. Assume I know nothing about freezing or defrosting or reheating things frozen from the get-go.

Thanks in advance!

Java

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:02 pm
That's weird to me. What business is it of a random rabbi whether I have prepared food in my house?
Everyone do what works for you.

Undefined

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:06 pm
Do you think he meant to have prepared food on hand ready to eat? So like if dh or kids are hungry they'll have real food easy to take?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:07 pm
I also think this exhortation is somewhat random and out of left field?

For what purpose should one have frozen food if it doesn't work for one's lifestyle. If there was some kind of dinner emergency, there are ample places where one can get takeout - but maybe I am missing something.

That said, there are certain foods that freeze really well and can be handy to have in the freezer - soups, stews, spaghetti sauce, braised meats all freeze well and reheat without any loss of flavor or texture. Stir fried dishes are uniformly awful when frozen. Individual portions of food frozen can be handy to have in the freezer.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:11 pm
We keep bought prepared food in the house like yogurts, crackers, spreads, bread, turkey breast, fruits, veg, etc and always make sure to have cooked eggs and soup in the fridge.

enjoying kids

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:13 pm
I believe he also told men "never come home hungry"
No one is at their best when they are "hangry"

Amarante

ra_mom wrote:
We keep bought prepared food in the house like yogurts, crackers, spreads, bread, turkey breast, fruits, veg, etc and always make sure to have cooked eggs and soup in the fridge.

Doesn't everyone keep foods around that can be eaten without heating or with minimal preparation - sandwiches; cheese; fruit; fruit and veggies.

Why would someone have to be instructed to do that?

WitchKitty

I always have cake in the freezer. I try to have meals but never thought it was important.
Did he say that as a 'so the women will be able to take off from cooking one day' or 'so that everyone will always have food on hand when hungry'? Because the second is what the cake is for.

For your question: shnitzel freezes well.
If you make something with a lot of sauce it's pretty good after freezer.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:14 pm
I think its always a good idea to have some food in the freezer because you just never know what the day brings. I once cooked for shabbos on a Thursday night feeling fine and then had a baby at 4am Friday morning. I was really grateful that my husband wasn't running around to takeout stores on a short Friday with my older son.

I am very into weekday meal prep and its a huge weight off my shoulders if something comes up like a kid needs the doctor or I have to stop somewhere after work. I know dinner is waiting and I dont have to start cooking at 6pm or order a pizza that I cant always afford.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:15 pm
Amarante wrote:
Doesn't everyone keep foods around that can be eaten without heating or with minimal preparation - sandwiches; cheese; fruit; fruit and veggies.

Why would someone have to be instructed to do that?

I have no comments about what the rabbi said TMI
Just explaining what prepared foods we have in the house in case it helps OP see she doesn't have to cook extra in order to have food around.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:17 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I have no comments about what the rabbi said TMI
Just explaining what prepared foods we have in the house in case it helps OP see she doesn't have to cook extra in order to have food around.

I didn't mean my response to you to seem snarky.

I just am trying to understand the specific instruction since most people have food in their pantry and refrigerator that can be eaten with no or almost no effort so it seems odd that there would have to be a specific instruction to do so.

mha3484

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:20 pm
Also probably depends on your eating habits. I keep plenty of food that can be eaten with minimal prep like yogurt, cheese, bread sometimes deli meat, my kids like to snack on hearts of palm/baby corn type stuff. But none of them would want that for dinner.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:29 pm
WitchKitty wrote:

Did he say that as a 'so the women will be able to take off from cooking one day' or 'so that everyone will always have food on hand when hungry'? .

Also curious what the reason given was. Because having some frozen schnitzel and kugel might be great to take a day off from cooking, but it's not like you can just serve frozen food impromptu. It still needs defrosting and I can't imagine those taste wonderful when nuked.

Not_in_my_town

Post Wed, Jul 06 2022, 4:48 pm
I also raised my brows at this statement, especially with the word "exhorted." If he "suggested", I would be more comfortable. That is something left up to the listener's perception. So let's say he suggested having prepared food in the house. That's a good tip, but not always feasible.

Prepared food gives the family a feeling of love. Is it a must? No. Eating is a must. And if the family is fed, you've done your job, however you have to do it.

If you can have prepared food, that's wonderful, but please don't take it as a burden. There are plenty of other ways to show love.

essie14

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 12:07 am
I always have sandwich fixings in my fridge - Deli, cheese, vegetables, Pickles, spreads, tuna, hard boiled eggs, etc.
I also have a stocked pantry with canned food, pretzels, protein bars, breadsticks, instant soup, etc.
There is literally no way for someone to go hungry in my house.

I don't keep cooked food in my freezer except some frozen pizza and kiddie shnitzel and maybe some frozen waffles.
No one in my family except my toddler would eat defrosted and reheated food.

socialbutterfly

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 12:49 am
I’m getting the vibe that he meant there should always be a meal type food ready for hubby and kids so that no one is ever left hungry for the amount of time it would take for wife to make a meal.

That was just my understanding. Correct me if I’m wrong OP!

I strive to be that type of wife too. Food really speaks to my husband lol. I still struggle in this department. I’ll be following this thread.

OP you might get more responses if the thread is under a category that’s anonymous enabled. I don’t know why people like to be anonymous for recipes, but that’s just my experience here Smile

HashemLovesMe5

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:11 am
fresh: have fresh lettuce and cut up veggies for a quick salad. you can top with a protein like tuna. cut up chicken or meat and nuts/seeds

pasta dishes: noodles tuna pickles and corn, baked ziti, plain noodles that can be dressed up with lemon/garlic/sour cream or ketchup and cheese.

frozen: schnitzel - flour, egg, bread crumbs and fry. let cool and put in the freezer. to heat just take out it about 1/2 hour before you want to eat and put it in the oven or on the hot plate to warm for about 15 minutes or sizzly. try not to overwarm or theyll be dried out also dont skip the flour step

pototo kugel, make as usual, freeze. for shobbos I take it out on friday and put it in the fridge and warm on the hot plate shobbos morning.

meatballs freeze well. take out about and hour before ready to eat and then heat up in the oven.

hamburgers I like to spice and shape and then freeze the meat and take out ready to bbq hamburgers.

many ground beef recipes freeze well.

you can freeze orzo too.

cakes/cookies/muffins/cinnamon buns

its not rocket science and you'll get the hang of it as you go along.

imaima

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 6:35 am
socialbutterfly wrote:
I’m getting the vibe that he meant there should always be a meal type food ready for hubby and kids so that no one is ever left hungry for the amount of time it would take for wife to make a meal.

That was just my understanding. Correct me if I’m wrong OP!

I strive to be that type of wife too. Food really speaks to my husband lol. I still struggle in this department. I’ll be following this thread.

OP you might get more responses if the thread is under a category that’s anonymous enabled. I don’t know why people like to be anonymous for recipes, but that’s just my experience here Smile

I think he meant that and I also struggle with that.
My friends had morhers who magically had warm food in the house. Soups, stews, homemade pastries… I can only offer scrambled eggs.

Simple1

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 8:09 am
Never heard of that Rabbi nor that advice. I try to always have things like frozen pizza, bread, cheese, cream cheese, peanut butter, lettuce, yogurts, etc. I have older kids , so this way if they can make themselves something quick if they're hungry.

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jul 07 2022, 11:47 am
Java wrote:
That's weird to me. What business is it of a random rabbi whether I have prepared food in my house?
Everyone do what works for you.
It was probably a good suggestion. It wasn't a command.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics