Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Help! How to prepare for very well to do (relatives) coming

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:51 pm
We just finished some renovations on our house and there’s so much dust, dirt etc. I don’t know where to start!
These relatives have a simcha (kiddush) in the area so staying by us makes sense - were the closest ones and have a decent guest room. Bathroom is across the hall but my kids won’t use that when they’re here.
I’m so overwhelmed - where to start? Cooking, cleaning…..
And I work full time and have kah little kids
Any tips appreciated!

Surrendered

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:57 pm
Bh there's take out food you can purchase ready, you don't have to go crazy patchkening.
I realized that regardless of how wealthy people are, they care for simple heimishe food. No need to make anything fancy.
Regarding your house, just put on a smile and feel good that you're able to host. No need to stress or apologize for not having the perfect accommodations. If you can try to find a cleaning lady to belp you with tidying up, great. Otherwise, just take a step back and think that they're glad to be hosted by you.
Enjoy your company

Last edited by Surrendered on Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 9:57 pm
Get a cleaning lady, buy some takeout
Don't worry about what they will think. They don't expect that when they are welcomed into someone's home for a nearby simcha that they will have the same accommodations as they do at home. Just basic comfort and cleanliness will do. And of course big smiles and a warm welcome!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 10:07 pm
Buy a nice new set linen.
Empty the closet in the guest room.
Make sure you have nice towels.
Do the window shades need to be replaced?
You’ll need an alarm clock, shabbos lamp…
Water bottles and some snacks for the room.

SingALong

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 10:08 pm
I find a nice touch for guests is to leave a set of fluffy white towels folded neatly on their bed or a chair in their room. Say 2 large bath towels and 4 hand towels. That way they know it’s theirs, no need to wonder if the towel that’s in their bathroom is unused. (You have little kids, they just may wander into that bathroom, you never know.)

A small tray of chocolates, tissues, and 2 water bottles on their nightstand.

I also put a little basket with travel size toiletries like shampoo, soap, mouthwash, deodorant, makeup remover pad, Tylenol packets, etc. I keep those things stocked and refill in the guest room as needed.

Maybe get a fresh diffuser and scented room spray for the bathroom. Make sure bathroom is stocked with tissues for Shabbos, with extra boxes in vanity cabinet or draw.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 10:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
We just finished some renovations on our house and there’s so much dust, dirt etc. I don’t know where to start!
These relatives have a simcha (kiddush) in the area so staying by us makes sense - were the closest ones and have a decent guest room. Bathroom is across the hall but my kids won’t use that when they’re here.
I’m so overwhelmed - where to start? Cooking, cleaning…..
And I work full time and have kah little kids
Any tips appreciated!

Try to take it easy. Get as much hired cleaning help you can, buy the foods that are difficult or time consuming to cook yourself.
Write down all the things you need to do to get everything ready. Sort in order of importance. Start from the top of list and if you don’t get to everything, at least you know the important things are done.
Maybe you can ask your husband to take out the kids for a few hours in afternoon after work, so you can focus on your to do list without distraction. He can even take them out for dinner so you don’t have to cook that night

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Oct 30 2022, 10:23 pm
I'd clean their room and bathroom first just so I'd know it was done. Then keep the kids out of that area if possible (or just bedroom and reclean/wipe down bathroom closer to the date). Make sure they have nice clean linens and towels, shabbos lamp, clock, tissues, other basics. Then just do your best with the rest.

happyone

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:51 am
Most important is the accomodations be fresh and clean. Don't worry about the rest.

mizle10

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:03 am
SingALong wrote:
I find a nice touch for guests is to leave a set of fluffy white towels folded neatly on their bed or a chair in their room. Say 2 large bath towels and 4 hand towels. That way they know it’s theirs, no need to wonder if the towel that’s in their bathroom is unused. (You have little kids, they just may wander into that bathroom, you never know.)

A small tray of chocolates, tissues, and 2 water bottles on their nightstand.

I also put a little basket with travel size toiletries like shampoo, soap, mouthwash, deodorant, makeup remover pad, Tylenol packets, etc. I keep those things stocked and refill in the guest room as needed.

Maybe get a fresh diffuser and scented room spray for the bathroom. Make sure bathroom is stocked with tissues for Shabbos, with extra boxes in vanity cabinet or draw.

You must have missed the thread where everyone seemed to think it's inconsiderate to give guests white towels Rolling Eyes

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:11 am
It sounds like you have a lot on your plate.

I would prepare them room with nice linen, towels, soaps, personal hygiene items and some water and chocolate.

Then I would try to be easy about the rest, as long as they are comfortable in with their accomadations.

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:18 am
what's with laying out chocolate or snacks? my kids know we NEVER bring food upstairs to the bedrooms. I know these are adults but still. I would really not like to leave food in a bedroom and all the times I've been hosted I've never had food left for me....

its a really nice idea though.

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 10:23 am
I think that the most important thing is a clean room and bathroom and a warm welcome. They know you're not a hotel. You are a working Mom with little kids. Please don't go redecorating or buying new bedding (unless you really need it). No one should expect that. The fact that they are wealthy should not be intimidating or cause you to change your plans. I'm sure you are a caring hostess who will make them comfortable within reasonable limits. Just for perspective, we have relatives in Israel with little kids and modest means. They made my son and his chevrusa incredibly comfortable in their tiny little apartment and they were so grateful. The boys are used to very fine accommodations but loved being with the cousins so much. The fact that they were in a very simple space was irrelevant. It was the way that they welcomed them that made all the difference.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 31 2022, 9:22 pm
Thank you all for calming me down!
The guest room is pretty nice - has 2 - 39” beds so not luxury but they’ve only been slept on a few nights so very comfortable. I have nice linen I bought recently, and the room has a dresser with a clock and shabbos lamp. The bathroom has a small container I keep mini toiletries in - mouthwash, lens case, lens solution, Advil…
The shades in the room are also new as they had to be replaced when we moved in (prior owner took the ugly curtains lol)
I will put out 2 nice bottles of water and cups, and I’ll see what the grocery has for chocolates or nuts.
I got a cleaning lady for Friday morning BH so that’s a relief - I work from home Fridays, and can be on top of her. I’m going to start cooking Wednesday night and will buy some things that I usually don’t - like cut fruits, salads, dips, sourdough - these are things I know they appreciate and like as they usually have it at their shabbos meals.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics