Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Please tell me the secret

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 10:38 am
U see my challah is absolutley the yummmiest, fluffiest, softest the day I bake it Exclamation but the following days grrr doesn't have that same softeness, like store ones. Exclamation What do they do put preservatives or what?
Heeeeeellllppppppp Tongue Out

sarahd

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 10:59 am
Most likely. How about freezing yours, freilich? Or, are you using high-gluten flour? That also helps challah stay soft longer.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 11:07 am
make sure the plastic bag you put it in is hole proof. also, you can warm it up on the blech or something....

Rivk

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 11:11 am
I keep my challa in the freezer and take it out a few hours before I need it. Otherwise it starts to get old no matter what kind of bag you put it in! I've heard that bread with eggs in it goes stale much faster than bread without eggs which would explain why challa gets hard right away. And some bakeries use dough conditioners and/or preservatives.

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 2:55 pm
Quote:
bread with eggs in it goes stale much faster than bread without eggs which would explain why challa gets hard right away.

Now thats interesting thanks, I'll try w/hout eggs and use high gluten flour

MOM222

Post Fri, Jul 14 2006, 12:04 am
I freeze it when its fresh and take it out a few hours before I need it.
It taste like it just cooled.

micki

Post Fri, Jul 14 2006, 12:13 am
what do you put in? mine stays soft for a few days.

granolamom

Post Fri, Jul 14 2006, 12:55 pm
If you use shortening it stays soft a bit longer, though personally I'd rather keep mine in the freezer and take it out a few hours before the seudah. also I find adding gluten helps a bit.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 14 2006, 1:35 pm
thats why I bake mine on friday. (and make myself absolutely meshuga) But, freezing straight away is a good idea. I wrap mine really well, in yards of clingfilm, but they never taste the same for shabbos lunch. Still yummy, but not as good.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 14 2006, 1:42 pm
I also used to bake on Friday (afternoon)....it was hard. also if you need a parve oven, it complciates things!

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Jul 14 2006, 2:53 pm
I use vital wheat gluten, I find it makes a big difference in the weight...comes out fluffier... and it helps the challah stay fresh a bit longer.

I only make challah every 2-3 weeks, and I freeze them right after baking til a couple hours before the meal that I need them for.

it works for me!

Tefila

Post Fri, Jul 14 2006, 3:01 pm
Ok so I've worked it out I need to wrap it really well almost air tight that is what seems to have made a difference for me Confused
Also I noticed it was only a real problem once it had been cut and not completley covered. Whereas when it wasn't cut it was less of a problem. Thanks everyone Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads