Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art
Bday cakes
1  2  Next

smiley:)

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 9:14 am
Anyone have pictures of bday cakes they'd like to share? I am more into the idea of sharing the ideas in order that we get ideas from each other, rather than showing off our amazing cake decorating skills that no one in a million years can duplicate, but share whatever you've got. I'll post my reecnt ones soon!

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 9:21 am
The first one I and my sister made today. We have sons 9 days apart. We made a construction site bday cake. The second one I made for my son's bday - the older one is obsessed with cars and trucks so he requested a blue volkswagon for the younger one!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 9:28 am
I need to make a kaduregel birthday cake for my 9 yo and 18 buddies for next week. Any ideas?

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 9:49 am
kaduregel is soccer or football?

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 9:53 am
nice....

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 9:57 am
smiley:) wrote:
kaduregel is soccer or football?

soccer

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 10:26 am
Can you just get a round tin to make a round cake, and use icing to make the soccer design on it?

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 10:44 am
I don't think a round (9") pan will feed all the kids. I need a 9x13 and even then the pieces will be meager, but that's okay. They have these cake sets in the store, not very expensive which I can plop on the cake. I learned a few kids ago not to kill myself on a cake - no one cares. I like what you did with the trucks etc - great for a little-boy party.

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 10:55 am
The construction site was my sister's idea. Maybe you can do a 2 layer 9" circle pan. That way the kids will get filled from smaller peices?

HooRYou

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 2:17 pm
I would keep the 9x3 pan and use ti as background. YOu could even cover it with chocolate frosting and then green tinted coconut if youcan standthe food coloring idea. THen I would bake a second cake in a oven safe bowl, place that one on the keduregel field and ice that one to look like a ball.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 10 2008, 4:47 pm
HooRYou wrote:
I would keep the 9x3 pan and use ti as background. YOu could even cover it with chocolate frosting and then green tinted coconut if youcan standthe food coloring idea. THen I would bake a second cake in a oven safe bowl, place that one on the keduregel field and ice that one to look like a ball.

Hmmm. This sound interesting and easy. Have the 9x13 cake as sort of a backdrop for the "ball"? First, how would I bake a cake in a bowl and get it out in one piece? Second, how would you suggest I decorate it? This sure would give me enough cake to go around...

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 12:39 am
Smiley, it's adorable!! I'm sure it will be a hit!

chayitty

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 12:47 am
very cute smiley....my friends once made me a cake shaped in a car when I got my license...that second cake reminded me off it
tamari...y dont u make cupcakes and decorate them like soccar balls...they each get an indvidualized birthday cake

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 1:42 am
chayitty wrote:

tamari...y dont u make cupcakes and decorate them like soccar balls...they each get an indvidualized birthday cake

Now there's a thought.... . Chayitty, great idea, but it's not happening. Maybe when I have grandchildren Very Happy

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 1:43 am
smiley - I just might steal your idea. Ds' 2nd birthday is coming up and loves trucks and building, etc!

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 1:50 am
Yea I know all about that. We are in the midst of the obsession. I think by the time my son was 1 1/2 he knew the name of every truck under the sun. Anyone have any other fun cake pictures to post?

shabri

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 1:56 am
Smiley,

A little off topic but whats your icing recipe? I just made a cake for DD yesterday and got a recipe from a friend but the icing was very hard to spread. Yours looks professional.

HooRYou

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 2:10 am
Tamiri wrote:
HooRYou wrote:

Hmmm. This sound interesting and easy. Have the 9x13 cake as sort of a backdrop for the "ball"? First, how would I bake a cake in a bowl and get it out in one piece? Second, how would you suggest I decorate it? This sure would give me enough cake to go around...

I have baked cakes in both my stainless steel mixing bowls and in more pyrex like bowls. I didn't have any problem getting them out. I guess just grease the bowl well as you would for any pan and then after you bake the cake and let it cool and then gently run a knife around the bopwl to loosen the cake.

For decorating I would ice the whole bowl (or ball) cake white and then pipe chocolate or another contrasting icing into the closest I could come to a soccer ball pattern (you could look at one you have around the house and copy it.)

If you are really daring you could make 2 round bowl cakes and ice them so that the flat wide sides are together and ice the whole thing into a giant soccer ball.

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 3:25 am
shabri wrote:
Smiley,

A little off topic but whats your icing recipe? I just made a cake for DD yesterday and got a recipe from a friend but the icing was very hard to spread. Yours looks professional.

I've tried icings but havent gotten good ones. I just whip up rich's whip.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Jun 11 2008, 11:03 am
Just made this for DS's birthday on Sunday. Not one of my best ones (I ran out of green frosting for the inside) but cute all the same.

Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Photography and Fine Art