Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O OOT- What is a 'Harry'?
Previous  1  2  3

Persevere

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 4:58 pm
The classic example is a bochur who looks just like everyone else, but then you notice that he is wearing white socks. Or wears a backpack.

I think it is often meant as an insult by the speaker. But many Harrys are confident and proud to be one. They are (stereotypically) serious about Torah and avodas Hashem. But don't subscribe to "yeshivish culture." In fact, may see those external trends as being out of line with Torah values.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 5:52 pm
One common flavor of Harry: An FFB whom everyone assumes is a BT.

mitzva

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 6:21 pm
I am chasidish. Grew up in Williamsburg and Boro Park and learned so much of non-chasidish culture on imamother. It is fascinating.
OOT versus in town.
the constant nitpicking about someone else's chumra versus halacha
kollel versus working
now the insinuation of the word Harry.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 8:19 pm
Are women ever called Harrys?

Miranda Wright

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 8:36 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
Are women ever called Harrys?

They are called Harriet, perhaps.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 8:46 pm
Dang, I KNEW I should have made that joke first.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 9:45 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Harrys might be umpteen generation American, but not all umpteen generation Americans are Harrys. (Says a possible Harriet.)

2:50 pm. Just saying.

Laiya

Post Tue, Feb 21 2023, 9:54 pm
Highstrung wrote:
I think it depends on the context : my mother is a BT and she cracks up laughing when my kids say “It’s so Harryish to eat potatoe latkes with sour cream and apple sauce”. That doesn’t mean they are looking down at her or at people that like to eat latkes with sour cream and applesauce . They just find it to be a funny mix. My DH is not American and also finds this combo of food to be strange and can’t imagine how someone would like it. They are used to growing up amongst heimish people , around lots of people with European grandparents and they are not used to the American Jews that have been here for generations. It’s like when someone shows up in a jalopy and they refer to it as a yeshivishe car. It’s not being deragatory about yeshivish people . It’s describing a type.

Latkes with sour cream or apple sauce is not American, just saying. Ketchup, otoh....

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 11:39 am
My grandparents, who were frum enough to be unemployed most of the time because they wouldn't work on Shabbat, ate latkes with applesauce and they were BORN IN EUROPE.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Feb 22 2023, 2:33 pm
zaq wrote:
My grandparents, who were frum enough to be unemployed most of the time because they wouldn't work on Shabbat, ate latkes with applesauce and they were BORN IN EUROPE.

There are many cases where I see my secular family being more involved in Yiddish culture than my husband's frum (both Ashkenazi) family. Maybe it's because the frum made a different kind of religious Jewish culture here.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics