Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Birthday parties

anony

Post Thu, Feb 23 2023, 10:38 pm
For those of you who (like me) don’t have a spotless house (or ok, not even close..) what do you do for kids birthdays? And/or sleepovers?

Particularly winter birthdays?

I’m embarrassed to have people over, even at it’s best (when we spend an entire week putting things way, organizing, sweeping/vacuuming, etc.) there is still clutter and I am embarrassed. This on top of the fact that I hate party planning. If my kid had a summer birthday it would be much easier because I could do outdoorsy things but I don’t have a ton of money to waste on an extravagant party for my little kid and don’t know what to do. Obviously I can clean my house and do something there but just curious if anyone else has a novel suggestion of a cheap birthday party that’s NOT in my house.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 12:02 am
Do any other kids in the class have a birthday around the same time? You can offer to make a joint party to split the cost and work. Together you may be able to afford somewhere out of the house or you can ask to do it at their house and offer to do more than 50% of the prep/clean up in order to compensate.

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 12:08 am
Think of an out of the box location. Do you have a kid who is fascinated by fire trucks? See if your local fire station would host a party in exchange for a donation. Does your child love animals? Maybe a local animal shelter would be willing for you to have a party there in return for a donation.

Depending on the age of the kid in question, what about a scavenger hunt in a local mall or big box store? You would need a lot of adults willing to chaperone though.

SG18

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 4:05 am
Maybe consider doing something special that isn't a party?
We're going to the zoo/safari for my daughter's birthday. You can invite family or friends by letting them know when you're going and they can come too, if you'd like.

In terms of cleaning up- can you get rid of something things permanently? It sounds like you aren't happy with the amount of things you have.

ez-pass

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 4:42 am
I know ppl who do it grandparents or other relatives.

anony

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 8:16 am
Rutabaga wrote:
Think of an out of the box location. Do you have a kid who is fascinated by fire trucks? See if your local fire station would host a party in exchange for a donation. Does your child love animals? Maybe a local animal shelter would be willing for you to have a party there in return for a donation.

Depending on the age of the kid in question, what about a scavenger hunt in a local mall or big box store? You would need a lot of adults willing to chaperone though.

What great ideas. Thanks!

cbg

Post Fri, Feb 24 2023, 8:22 am
Will school allow in class party
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics