Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Combined family room and dinette

chocolatecake

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 9:15 pm
I am IYH extending my house. I really want to add a dinette to my current non eat in kitchen and a family room but working with the space we have that will give us 2 pretty small rooms. The total space we have is 24 feet wide and 10 deep, but some space may need to be taken for a hallway. I am considering making a combined/open concept big room instead of two smaller ones. I don't love the idea of the toys and a couch being so close to the kitchen but at the same time I am in my mid thirties so its not like I have so many more years with toddlers running around away.....

Does anyone have a their family room off their dinette? Is this a terrible idea or does it work for you?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sat, Feb 25 2023, 9:43 pm
A combined breakfast room and family room is very common. Consider a low bookcase or pony wall (half wall) to separate the 2 spaces without breaking the visual line. A dining booth with a bench back can also act as a divider.

SingALong

Post Sun, Feb 26 2023, 12:51 am
My family room, dinette and kitchen are all 1 connected room. I love it. Everything feels so big and spacious. Each room still has its defined purpose with the furniture. Kitchen is kitchen. Dinette has table and chairs. Family room has a couch. I didn’t put any divider between any room, kept it open flow.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics