Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Anyone have experience with a random unexplained seizure?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 10:04 pm
Title says it all.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 10:06 pm
Once an absence seizure in the shower - my son
Never recurred no one knows why

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 10:08 pm
How many years ago was that?

Kiwi13

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 10:30 pm
I have epilepsy. My first seizure hit at around 15 years old. None of us knew what it was, and it was brushed off as a “vertigo attack” (which is not how vertigo works, but hindsight is 20/20). a few years later I ended up accidentally treating epilepsy with lamictal, which I took for bipolar. It wasn’t until last year when I went off lamictal after maaaany years that I started having seizures again and got a proper diagnosis of lateral TLE.

If you suspect a seizure disorder, please take your child for a proper evaluation. Teenagers should not be having random seizures.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Mar 01 2023, 11:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
How many years ago was that?

Five years

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 2:43 pm
Is it common for a tonic-clonic seizure to be a one-time thing?

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:17 pm
My dd had a random seizure several years ago. They investigated and found no sign of anything so it was dismissed as probably just a symptom of a virus. She never had anything since.

amother
Gardenia

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
it doesn’t have to be epilepsy. I have a relative who suddenly had a seizure in her 30s and it was something called a cavernoma which is a cluster of blood vessels in the brain that caused it. Best to check it out.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

It can happen from high fever. However I urge you to check it out properly. See a neurologist please. Seizures are not something to ignore.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:53 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
Once an absence seizure in the shower - my son
Never recurred no one knows why

Absence seizures can go unnoticed many times.
Maybe have him do an EEG once a year just to mk sure it's all clear.

amother
Topaz

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 4:30 pm
I remember when I was school, a classmate of mine had a seizure. It was really frightening. I remember when she came back to school then she told us that apparently it can happen for people to have a one off seizure. She never had it again and is healthy and well

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 4:48 pm
Fainting can look like just like a seizure.

If it’s a one time thing it was probably a fainting episode and not actually a seizure.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 5:17 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
Fainting can look like just like a seizure.

If it’s a one time thing it was probably a fainting episode and not actually a seizure.

Even if it's clonic?

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 5:22 pm
amother Gardenia wrote:
it doesn’t have to be epilepsy. I have a relative who suddenly had a seizure in her 30s and it was something called a cavernoma which is a cluster of blood vessels in the brain that caused it. Best to check it out.

How is your cousin now? I have a relative with this cluster but was told it's so small so won't lead to anything. Still worried.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:22 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
I remember when I was school, a classmate of mine had a seizure. It was really frightening. I remember when she came back to school then she told us that apparently it can happen for people to have a one off seizure. She never had it again and is healthy and well

Or she went on meds and the family didn’t want anyone to know because they were worried about shidduchim

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:25 pm
supressing chronic issues (skin issues more common from what ive seen) can cause siezures...

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:52 pm
My son was having daily silent seizures but the first seizure med we tried knocked them out completely. I couldn't believe it. None of my kids' other stuff has been easy/simple. Hatzlacha finding the right treatment.

amother
Magnolia

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 2:22 am
amother OP wrote:
Title says it all.

My daughter had it and the doctor said it probably happened because she had a fever and we should have given her the medicine right away when the fever went up but we weren’t really sure why it happened. She has been ok since then BH.

amother
Seablue

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 2:59 am
Anonymous here because I am a neurologist:

There are primary causes of seizures and secondary causes. Primary causes are basically 'genetic', and they can manifest (look like) a lot of different things, namely absence, tonic-clonic generalised, only part of the body shaking or tingling. They are brief, lasting seconds to minutes, and often look the same from one time to the next.

Secondary causes means that there is an underlying cause that is triggering the seizure (ex after a stroke or bleed in the brain, due to a small malformation in the development in the brain). These can manifest just like I listed above.

Epilepsy is defined by have two or more unprovoked seizures. If someone has one unprovoked seizure, there is a 50% risk of having a second seizure within 12 months. This can be higher if the mri of the brain shows abnormalities.

There are also seizure mimics, such as low blood sugar, drops in blood pressure (fainting can be accompanied by a few jerks of the body --- this should not be confused with epilepsy). A good neurologist can distinguish between epilepsy and other causes most of the time by asking questions, doing the physical exam, and ordering an EEG and an MRI.

I strongly recommend bringing your child to a neurologist for an assessment.

amother
Opal

Post Fri, Mar 03 2023, 3:07 am
amother Seablue wrote:
Anonymous here because I am a neurologist:

How common is it to have a seizure disorder that is "outgrown"?

I had multiple unprovoked (assuming that includes seizures triggered by strobe lights etc) seizures in childhood and teens. Unmedicated aside for a few months. Only one seizure in adulthood.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children