Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Cute Stories
Recurring dreams

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 10:23 pm
This afternoon I took a nap. I was dreaming that it was erev Shabbos but I was far from home and I didnt see how I would make it home in time. I tried calling home to tell someone to light for me but I couldnt get my phone to work. I finally got home in the nick of time ans tried to strike the match but it kept crumbling in my fingers. I woke up with my heart pounding.

This is a variation of a recurring dream that I have regularly.
It's erev Shabbos and I'm trying to get home to light candles in time.
I get lost, or my car runs out of gas, or I suddenly notice the time and it's 15 minutes to candlelighting. I have to climb a huge mountain to get to the house in time for shabbos.

I always manage to dash into the house just in time, and I run to light but the candles are not set up. Sometimes I can't find candles. When I can, I cannot light the match. The match keeps breaking in my hand or the fire keeps going out. It's seconds to shkia, and I'm still frantically trying to light the candles come what may. The match just won't light.
Sometimes I realize that I forgot to warm the food, or that I am making a simcha with 50 people but I forgot to prepare food.

One time, I was in vacation in EY. We were in a villa. I napped on Friday, as there were hours to Shabbos. I dreamt that as I tried lighting the tealights, the whole room burst into flames but I insisted on lighting the candles before running from the room.
I always wake up at this point feeling absolutely awful. I promise myself not to leave things to the last minute and be ready early for Shabbos, whoch is a struggle for me. But I have never bH missed candlelighting.

Anyone else have recurring dreams? Do you try to read into it?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 10:37 pm
I have a same idea recurring dream.
It's erev shabbos and I'm trying to do my makeup for shabbos but am running very late, it's almost shkia and the eye liner keeps getting ruined. And not enough time to finish.

The best part is that the reality is that I'm bh very makpid on being ready early, my city lights 40 minutes before shkia and I took upon myself years ago to light a few minutes before that and bh I really don't miss it even in the earliest times in the winter.

I think it's a stress dream that shows up whenever I'm stressed.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Apr 09 2023, 10:44 pm
Could it be that you have an inner phobia of not having shabbos prepared on time?
Perhaps make it a habit for yourself to prepare shabbos on Thursday or latest Friday by noon, so you know all is ready by hook or by crook. Maybe it'll reduce the anxious feeling of your dreams.

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 1:44 am
For many years, even after leaving school, I dreamed I was running after the school bus to catch it and the driver drove off.

I also dreamed many times that I would need to bathroom at school but when I got to the toilet the floors were flooded in pee.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:16 am
Subconscious talking to you

DustyDiamonds

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:24 am
I’ve also had dreams about not being ready for Shabbos. Recently I dreamed that I realized Shabbos would begin in an hour, guests were coming, the stores were closed, and my chicken was still frozen and raw. I was frantically trying to microwave it.

I think it’s our inner anxiety. And I think it speaks well of us that one of our big fears is not being ready for Shabbos.

Another common dream I have is being lost.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 2:31 am
Funny.. I just realized that the recurring dream I always had since I was a kid did not make its appearance in a very long time.
My dream was that my teeth were falling out- one after the other until I had one tooth left and it was hanging by a thread dangling in my mouth. I would try to get to the dentist to save my last tooth and whatever I did I couldn’t get there. I always had that one last tooth hanging in my mouth in my dream before I woke up. I would wake up feeling very unsettled.
I wonder why that dream stopped?

happyclappy

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 10:19 pm
I have had recurring dreams of not being ready in time for shabbos. Was always along the same vein. Didnt have chicken and shops were closed and had to get from somewhere and they were frozen etc. Or that I didnt have time to make challas and put dough up even though no time to bake. And similar. Always in bit different variety.
Wierdest thing is, that though I am often few minutes late and busy till the last minute, the food is always the thing that is always ready.
Usually running late getting house in shape etc.
I even would dream that it was real and be telling myself in the dream that 'see my dreams are happening'
BH havent had these dreams in a long while

farmom

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 10:24 pm
I have a similar dream every few months. It varies, but it's almost shabbos and I'm trying frantically to get everything cooked and it's time to light. Sometimes there are last minute guests, or it's a simchas and I have a ton to cook, or I just am running late.

fbc

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 10:26 pm
So interesting! I often have dreams that I'm getting ready for work in the morning, getting my kids ready for school, everyone is ready to go and I'm so peaceful calm and happy. Then I wake up and realize I have to "do everything over" cuz the first time was just a dream 😅 most annoying dream ever!!

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 10:26 pm
I don’t have these dreams but dh does. He says it must be something deeper and may have to do with control. Maybe erev shabbos is an area where you get tested to your limits

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:53 pm
I too have these dreams where it's time to light and I realize all the food is still in the freezer and guests are walking in. It's such a common dream that there's a kichels about it.

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Apr 11 2023, 12:33 am
Recurring dreams are no joke... They do have meaning and can happen in real life. I had recurring dream with a very strong msg to forgive someone.

amother
Lotus

Post Tue, Apr 11 2023, 12:36 am
I have a recurring dream of being naked in rooms full of people trying desperately to cover myself. Specifically my chest. I’ve had dreams about being at work, at a wedding, on the plane…
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics