Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Influencers on programs
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:22 am
There are certain influencers who I follow on social media who often talk about money being tight and not being able to keep up with the Joneses, but they are all on pesach programs. Are they so out of touch with reality or is the concept of “money being tight” just super subjective?

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:26 am
Many of them get to go for free if they showcase the program while they’re there. My sister is at a great program for free this year because of that.

Others have their parents or in laws sponsor their stay so they can join them.

pause

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:28 am
amother Magnolia wrote:
Many of them get to go for free if they showcase the program while they’re there. My sister is at a great program for free this year because of that.

This.

Plus when influencers say money is tight, they might mean something different than what you think it to mean.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:43 am
amother Magnolia wrote:

Right, the program is free (with strings attached obviously!), but the flights, activities, etc. are not free! Everyone does a ton of shopping leading up to these programs. Even if they get the clothing companies to send them clothing, hair bows, kippahs, etc... it's still a lot out of their pockets to go on these things.

I hope they go and enjoy! Good for them for getting these deals! The thing that bugs me and makes me scroll right on by is when they speak about how poor they are, how much they are struggling, etc. I find that to be unnecessary and oversharing. It's also part of what causes people to have these bad feelings - like, oh, Fruma Goldstein (made up name) is broke, but she gets to go on these fabulous trips, I wish I could go also... and then people feel bad. If Fruma never spoke about how broke she perceives herself to be, it would be a non-issue.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:53 am
watergirl wrote:
Right, the program is free (with strings attached obviously!), but the flights, activities, etc. are not free! Everyone does a ton of shopping leading up to these programs. Even if they get the clothing companies to send them clothing, hair bows, kippahs, etc... it's still a lot out of their pockets to go on these things.

I hope they go and enjoy! Good for them for getting these deals! The thing that bugs me and makes me scroll right on by is when they speak about how poor they are, how much they are struggling, etc. I find that to be unnecessary and oversharing. It's also part of what causes people to have these bad feelings - like, oh, Fruma Goldstein (made up name) is broke, but she gets to go on these fabulous trips, I wish I could go also... and then people feel bad. If Fruma never spoke about how broke she perceives herself to be, it would be a non-issue.

Yes, I totally agree with this take!

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 11:53 am
I am sad that influencers are even a thing

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes, I totally agree with this take!

Another women I used to semi-follow, as I know her IRL so I was supporting her this way - she did this a lot. She overshares all the time and then her IG seems to contradict her oversharing, and I know she is actually home for pesach so I know she isn't who you are referring to (I have no idea who you are referring to honestly), but your post could have been about the one I know otherwise. She once posted about how she's so broke, then spent a month traveling and posting. It just makes me scroll by, that's all. It's a bit socially off I think to post about both of these things interchangeably.

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:23 pm
pause wrote:
This.

Plus when influencers say money is tight, they might mean something different than what you think it to mean.

This. There is the abject poverty of homelessness or being unable to afford food, and then there's the relative "poverty" of being unable to afford overseas vacations four times a year and a vacation home by a lake.

An income of, say, $100,000 feels and acts very different if its neighbors make $20K or $500K.

hodeez

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:23 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Agreed

alef12

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:27 pm
This thread reminds me of the post I put up every couple years when the other influencers start talking about their "Pesach Programs"
I'll share it here for those of you who don't have Instagram LOL

---------
Since so many others on Instagram have been sharing their Pesach plans I thought I'd share ours. My family is privileged to this year, again be guests at this very exclusive Pesach program we've attended for many years now:

"Pesach at the Homestead"

Beautiful scenery including views of Harriman State Park! Short walk to trail complete with pond with waterfall.

3 Gourmet meals a day
24 hour tearoom
Private Seder
Gebrochts

Spacious Rooms
Petting Zoo on premises
Bikes available for all!
Fully stocked Judaic library
Eruv for Shabbos
Children’s Playground

Chol Hamoed activities include cooking demos. home organization seminar, hands on farm animal care and seedling workshops

Off site chol hamoed trips will also be available!

* Guests are required to pick up their own laundry, wash their own dishes and set the table. They may also be enlisted for kitchen duty at any time. No whining!
Failure to abide by these terms may result in the cancelation of chol hamoed trips.

alef12

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:31 pm
ectomorph wrote:

I primarily influence people to do things like make homeade applesauce and fresh homeade nut milks. I influence people to try to grow some vegetables and take a walk in nature. It's all about what is being "influenced".
I've had people call me a "de-influencer" but I don't like that term.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:36 pm
alef12 wrote:
I primarily influence people to do things like make homeade applesauce and fresh homeade nut milks. I influence people to try to grow some vegetables and take a walk in nature. It's all about what is being "influenced".
I've had people call me a "de-influencer" but I don't like that term.

And for that, they let you go on a Pesach program for free?

alef12

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:52 pm
ectomorph wrote:
And for that, they let you go on a Pesach program for free?

Did you even actually read my post about my "Pesach Program"?
LOL

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:52 pm
alef12 wrote:
Did you even actually read my post about my "Pesach Program"?
LOL

Lol. Now I did. Very cute!! Where can I find it online?

alef12

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 12:57 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Lol. Now I did. Very cute!! Where can I find it online?

I'm on Instagram @homegrownkosher

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM.....2M2Y=

ectomorph

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 1:27 pm
alef12 wrote:
I'm on Instagram @homegrownkosher

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM.....2M2Y=

Thanks. We need more non-toxic frum defluencers! Who go on Pesach programs like the one you described above!

imaima

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
There are certain influencers who I follow on social media who often talk about money being tight and not being able to keep up with the Joneses, but they are all on pesach programs. Are they so out of touch with reality or is the concept of “money being tight” just super subjective?

They paid for their programs and now they are tight

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 3:56 pm
I guess it's a question of priorities. maybe they save up all year for it. it certainly isnt cheap!!!

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 4:11 pm
What irks me (although I didn’t see it this year thank Gd but then again I muted a lot of such influencers), Is when the influencer asks for programs to take her…. And then says “not one like this or this but this one would be nice”.

🤢

metacognizant

Post Mon, Apr 10 2023, 4:18 pm
alef12 wrote:
This thread reminds me of the post I put up every couple years when the other influencers start talking about their "Pesach Programs"
I'll share it here for those of you who don't have Instagram LOL

---------
Since so many others on Instagram have been sharing their Pesach plans I thought I'd share ours. My family is privileged to this year, again be guests at this very exclusive Pesach program we've attended for many years now:

"Pesach at the Homestead"

Beautiful scenery including views of Harriman State Park! Short walk to trail complete with pond with waterfall.

3 Gourmet meals a day
24 hour tearoom
Private Seder
Gebrochts

Spacious Rooms
Petting Zoo on premises
Bikes available for all!
Fully stocked Judaic library
Eruv for Shabbos
Children’s Playground

Chol Hamoed activities include cooking demos. home organization seminar, hands on farm animal care and seedling workshops

Off site chol hamoed trips will also be available!

* Guests are required to pick up their own laundry, wash their own dishes and set the table. They may also be enlisted for kitchen duty at any time. No whining!
Failure to abide by these terms may result in the cancelation of chol hamoed trips.

I lovvvvvvvve this! Took my kids to the zoo yesterday and gardening today! I run a Pesach program too!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics