Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Random words that had an impact

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 15 2023, 9:51 pm
This is sort of a spinoff of the hurtful/kind words with an impact threads.

I once picked up my son from gan, quite a few years ago and a father was picking up at the same time. I heard the father asking about his day, then he noticed his son's shoes were on the wrong feet so he asked him if he took his shoes off in gan. It seems so trivial, but at the time I was very impressed with how sensitive the father was towards the kid. Instead of just saying your shoes are on the wrong feet, or laughing etc.

What's something random you heard that had an impact on you?

amother
Black

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 7:22 pm
I was on a conference call, discussing with my SIL whether we should join other family members on an impromptu day trip the very next morning. I then decided that it would not be ideal for me and told them that I won't be joining. One of them responded to me "good for you, you know what you want!"

After I ended the call with them, I was thinking about some phone calls I had to return to potential clients, to let them know whether I would be accepting some freelancing jobs they wanted me for. One particular client I had serviced in the past, and I was deliberating whether I should take them on again. Suddenly, I heard this quote in my head again: "You know what you want", and I realized that I simply wanted to decline that job. They had been a good client, but I had to work quite some extra time for them, the previous time they hired me.

This gave me the confidence to call them and let them know that I won't be available for them. It had been quite a boost, and prompted me to stop doubting myself!

amother
Birch

Post Sun, May 07 2023, 7:41 pm
I don't know if this counts as random, but I'll share anyway.

My husband and I struggled with infertility for a number of years after we were married. We were part of a small group of couples who became good friends and provided support for each other.
At one point, we organized an informal melava malka for the women. We asked a local Rebbitzen to speak and give us some divrei chizuk.

I have no recollection of anything she said except for the following: "Baila, you didn't write the script."

Her name is Baila. She was saying that when things in her life go wrong, she reminds herself that Hashem is the author and writer and producer of our lives. I found that sentence so powerful and remind myself of it so often.
Knowing that the script of my life is being written by a Master writer and producer helps me cope with all the unpleasant twists and turns.

(p.s. B"H we were able to disband the chevra because we all had children. Many of us are still friends but with our brood of kids)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational