Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
Should I remove birds nest on windowsill?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 11:36 am
My kitchen window was open a crack and I noticed when I came home a bird is making a nest between the screen and window that opens out.
What should I do? I feel bad getting rid of it and it is sort of sweet watching the bird build a nest but I can’t close the window because it will crush the nest and if I open it wider the nest will fall to the ground.
Why in the world would she make a nest right there? There are so many other places to build a nest. We had so many under my deck, in our bushes one even made one in our bbq that we were throwing out.
What would you do? I feel if I destroy it all her hard work would be lost but it is so close to my kitchen sink and food I wouldn’t want any feathers to get in.

jflower

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 11:37 am
Can you remove it carefully and move it to another spot?

amother
Ultramarine

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 11:39 am
1000% yes

I had the same thing and didn't remove it and about 6m later had an infestation of bird bugs in the house because of it. Had to pay a lot of money to get it removed and couldn't stay in the house while fumigating.

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 11:49 am
amother OP wrote:
My kitchen window was open a crack and I noticed when I came home a bird is making a nest between the screen and window that opens out.
What should I do? I feel bad getting rid of it and it is sort of sweet watching the bird build a nest but I can’t close the window because it will crush the nest and if I open it wider the nest will fall to the ground.
Why in the world would she make a nest right there? There are so many other places to build a nest. We had so many under my deck, in our bushes one even made one in our bbq that we were throwing out.
What would you do? I feel if I destroy it all her hard work would be lost but it is so close to my kitchen sink and food I wouldn’t want any feathers to get in.

Remove it all and keep your window closed for a while so bird gets the idea. You’re not just doing yourself a favor, you’re doing bird a favor. This isn’t a good place to lay eggs and raise a family.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 12:05 pm
Better to remove it now than after there are eggs.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 12:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
She sounds like a real birdbrain Wink

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 12:14 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
1000% yes

I had the same thing and didn't remove it and about 6m later had an infestation of bird bugs in the house because of it. Had to pay a lot of money to get it removed and couldn't stay in the house while fumigating.

Oh my! I have one on my kids bedroom window sill and didnt notice until there were eggs! My kids are fascinated by it, but I didn't realize it could cause issues. This sounds awful. It's on a high floor, so removing it isn't so simple. Any suggestions?

octopus

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 12:40 pm
A birds nest comes with mites. Yes, move it away.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 3:12 pm
Get rid of it. Mama will build a new one elsewhere. Not only do birds harbor bugs, but their droppings harbor disease-causing germs,too.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 3:33 pm
What type of bird is it? you might be able to do shiluach hakan if you make a declaration first that nests on your property are hefker, and if it's a kosher species. The halachos are a little complicated, but this could be a great opportunity!

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 4:34 pm
Yes I didn’t realize it was an issue and didn’t move the one by our window. I ended up infested with bird mites it was awful.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 4:56 pm
Thank you so much. I knocked it down and disinfected the area and closed the window.
It was nice watching it but I for sure don't want mites in my house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets