Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
If you built your house: What's the biggest mistake you made
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:02 am
I'm building my own house now and would love to hear what mistakes to avoid. It can be anything. Interior design, exterior design. Who not to hire, who yes to hire. From a mistake you made with your kitchen cabinet to your flooring. You name it.

Any tips and ideas are also welcome.

Thank you!

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:18 am
DH thinks we should have made the dinning room bigger (it comfortably seats 14. I like our configuration, but if we configured it differently, it could have been larger. Personally, I am happy to not need to host 35.)

amother
Honey

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:21 am
I often see people building a house without thinking of older or disabled family members. If you can manage an entry without steps, and a ground floor bedroom and handicapped accessible bathroom, you'll be doing your family a big favor.

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:30 am
Someone I know has a bathroom all the way in the back- but straight across the front door. So if a kid is using the bathroom and left bathroom door open, and someone walks into the house at the same time... LOL LOL LOL

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:33 am
make sure theres enough space by bathtub for parent to sit comfortably while giving a child a bath. I can't say I regret taking away some space to be able to make another closet, I do think it should be taken in to account.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:35 am
amother DarkPurple wrote:
DH thinks we should have made the dinning room bigger (it comfortably seats 14. I like our configuration, but if we configured it differently, it could have been larger. Personally, I am happy to not need to host 35.)

My house was built by a builder for himself. It's actually built very conveniently. Some of the great features are loads of closet space, great placement of kitchen near laundry room, near garage (for storage, etc..)

I do wish they had made a larger dining room. Fortunately, it's right next to the double garage, and when I can afford it, I plan to expand it.

I don't have to host 35, but I wouldn't mind having the ability when I want to.

amother
Watermelon

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:41 am
I haven't built but I am somewhat in the industry.

Think about your organizational systems now, what do you need?
Kitchen:
2 garbage can draws/near each sink
Space for coffee machine
Do you own a second set of meaty dishes/china. Do you need another cabinet?
Draws are great for pots! and plastic cups/plates.
Spices cabinet near the stove
Pot filler
Etc
Laundry: cabinets for storage (soap, toothpaste etc), built in hamper or place for a hamper (or none if you keep it in bathrooms/rooms)
space for 2nd washer
hanging space/rods
place for basket/iron/ironing board storage
Are you doing the wash or hired help? If you, don't put it in the garage or basement, you need it easy access. If there is no room in a convenient place, can you add a laundry chute?
Linen and towel closet
Other random thoughts
Do you do wine? good place/shelves/closet for that.
Good 'Costco' closet: tissue/water/paper goods storage
Suitcases, extra crib, bikes and other bulky items storage
Sefarim
Toys
Any hobbys? place for a sewing machine or musical instruments etc
Additional coat closet near dining room for the guys (if applicable) bekishas, streimlach.
Kids dumping for hats, gloves, knapsacks
Guest room or room for move in couples, can you swing a private or semi private bathroom?
Even if it'll be used for children now, keep in mind the future

Good luck!

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:44 am
Not having a real storage room.

I have multiple walk-in closets and I have a garage but I wish I had made a room that was just for storage of those big bulky things like the high chair and the swing and the bassinet of the stroller and the water vacuum etc etc.
If you have the space I would highly recommend having a room just for storage.

My garage is already full of all those things that we pull out daily like bikes and scooters and tools.

honey36

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:46 am
If you plan on putting a guest room in the basement, see if you can put some sound proofing in the ceiling. Otherwise when people are walking around on the main floor early, people sleeping downstairs won't be able to sleep in.

Lizzie4

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:47 am
If you're building a basement, don't just make a playroom. Also make bedrooms with en suite bathrooms. Your kids will be married soon enough!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 11:52 am
Don't go with fashion fads or trends when you remake your kitchen. (Unless you are redoing kitchen every few years)
You will hate your all black/red/orange kitchen much too soon.

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:03 pm
Not enough closet space.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:06 pm
Always drawers in kitchen instead of deep difficult to reach cupboards.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:12 pm
1- I wish we had doors between playroom and dining room to open up if we make a simcha! (It could have easily been done while building now not really because there are closets on that wall!)

2- mudroom if space allows it. So practical to have a place for boots/shoes, coats, briefcases...

3- a door going from bedroom to bathroom next to it so you can eventually close it to make a private br for company

4- French doors in living room/dining room so 1 room in the house actually stay clean! LOL

5- spacious enough laundry room to hang everything and store bulky laundry baskets, ironing table and iron and have at least 3 hampers(dark/lights and whites)

How big is that dream house? Wink

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:17 pm
I should have had a kitchen designer/space planner to help me plan my kitchen layout. I have a big kitchen but the layout is so ridiculous, a huge part of it is just useless space. At the time, I was trying to save money but I don't think it was worth it. I'm looking forward to the day when I have enough money to redo my kitchen.

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:23 pm
honey36 wrote:
If you plan on putting a guest room in the basement, see if you can put some sound proofing in the ceiling. Otherwise when people are walking around on the main floor early, people sleeping downstairs won't be able to sleep in.

And think about the rooms that are above the guest rooms. My big regret is not making the guest rooms under the quiet rooms (mudroom, office etc), and instead they are under the dining room and kitchen. I hate hosting sleepover guests because I get so stressed out they they will get woken up by all the noises above them.

doodlesmom

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:29 pm
It makes a huge difference if you are building in the city or in the countryside.
Is space limited? Or is there unlimited amounts to expand to.
Accessibility to beautiful outdoor spaces are important to me.
Space to host is important for me…

amother
Lightpink

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 12:37 pm
Not taking into account how sound carries. We built a beautiful open first floor with an open staircase (railings, no walls) that feels airy and bright. And any sound from the main floor can be heard in every bedroom.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 1:40 pm
We made several mistakes.

We used an industrial/commercial architect, so the house was completely over spec'd. The AC system was too complicated and sophisticated for what we needed and never functioned properly. We could never get it serviced because it was not really used for residential purposes. It has been a disaster.

Same with the pool, way too sophisticated, and company went out of business and no one can seem to figure out how to get it working properly.

Try and use local vendors who can service things when they break.

The contractor did an awful job of laying tiles. I chose all these custom made bathrooms (so not necessary, would not do that again.) and he laid them crookedly or not the way they were supposed to be done. I would probably have also done all the bathrooms similarly instead of choosing lots of different ones.

The floors I chose for the house were installed by the contractor not where I ordered them so there were problems with that as well. They were custom designed and made specially but then installed by the contractor who cut corners and they don't show as they are supposed to.

The playroom is in the basement. Would have made it on the main floor. Its great when kids/grand kids are older. But now the grand kids are too small to be down there and it is nice to have the kids nearby if you can.

Kitchen is nice size with lots of storage and work space. Got that part right. The cabinets were a huge disappointment. They just looked nothing like what I ordered. I spent way too much money on it, and they look like they came from the remainders aisle at Ikea. But I end up so busy being upset about the AC that I don't even focus on it anymore.

Also storage; I have a lot of storage, but I could use more convenient storage for bigger items, like folding tables and chairs, and other big things.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, May 01 2023, 5:37 pm
Not having separate unit in master bedroom for a/c

Not enough a/c vents in kitchen

Would have added

‘Costco’ closer to be able to store tissues, cans, jars, drinks, paper goods, etc.. so it doesn’t have to clutter up pantry.

Bigger laundry room - WINDOWS in laundry room for ventilation

More hanging space in laundry room

Bathroom off of bedrooms for couples
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating