Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Whipped or unwhipped cream cheese?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 8:17 am
How do I determine if a recipe calls for a block of cream cheese or whipped, and how does it affect the result?
I have a cheese blintzes recipe that the filling calls for farmer cheese, cream cheese, eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Should the cream cheese be whipped?

realtalk

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 8:19 am
I would check through the recipe to see if at some point you'd be whipping the cream cheese anyway and guess from there

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 8:20 am
If it called for whipped, it would specificy. But I don't think it's so important in an uncooked blintz (cheesecake is different).

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 8:36 am
realtalk wrote:
I would check through the recipe to see if at some point you'd be whipping the cream cheese anyway and guess from there

It doesn't. Just mix together all the ingredients. So should I use brick?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 8:43 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
It doesn't. Just mix together all the ingredients. So should I use brick?

If you’re mixing with a spoon or fork, it’s going to be much harder to mix the brick; unless you’ve left it on your counter for hours, to soften. I would use whipped.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 8:45 am
ra_mom wrote:
If it called for whipped, it would specificy. But I don't think it's so important in an uncooked blintz (cheesecake is different).

In a simple graham cracker crust-type cheesecake recipe, I’ve found no noticeable difference (at least to me) when using whipped, even when the recipe called for a brick.
I don’t know about more complex cheesecakes.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 11 2023, 9:09 am
The default in a recipe is brick style - if not specified it means brick.

Just let the cream cheese sit at room temperature for a bit until it softens and it mixes easily.

Subbing whipped for regular alters the volume and ratio of ingredients because whipped cream cheese contains air and therefore is lighter than brick - I.e. less actual cream cheese.

The volume would be less if you use whipped instead of brick if you heat the product because all of the air will go out and you would be left with a smaller amount of cream cheese.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics