Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Waterbury people, is this crazy?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 7:58 am
We are very strongly considering a move to Waterbury. The only thing holding us back is employment for my husband. He is extremely talented in many areas especially video, graphics and computers and website work.. He can’t find anything in the area and we want to know if it’s crazy for him to commute to Monsey. Do people do that?
P.S. if anyone knows of a good job, please let me know!

GrowingUp

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 8:05 am
Can he try to find a job where he can work remotely?
Would his current job allow him to do a hybrid setup, working from home and going in to the office 1-2 days a week?

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 10:37 am
People here do commute to monsey but usually not daily. It's not super common but it exists. Usually they work from home a few days and commute a couple days.
In any case, maybe he could start out like that and look for a local job once you're here, it's easier then.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 11:06 am
amother OP wrote:
We are very strongly considering a move to Waterbury. The only thing holding us back is employment for my husband. He is extremely talented in many areas especially video, graphics and computers and website work.. He can’t find anything in the area and we want to know if it’s crazy for him to commute to Monsey. Do people do that?

I would be shocked if he can't find such a job in Connecticut!

What kind of job listing places have you been looking?

Website work can be done anywhere...

Is there no remote job for him?

While I don't believe it is "crazy" for him to commute to Monsey, it will take up some of his daily time as it is about an hour and 15 minutes....

Cressel

Post Sun, Jun 11 2023, 11:08 am
Look at places that show available jobs and search under the category of computes and then search "remote jobs"

I think its easy to find remote jobs online. It just takes some searching and considering.

Hatzlacha Rabba!

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 6:40 am
amother OP wrote:

No it's not crazy. But also look for jobs by New Haven, bridgeport, Danbury, Hartford, etc. Lot's of places within a commutable distance.

Plus he can definitely get a rebbe job at YKW. Id also reach out to them and find out about other opportunities in his fields. There's also a frum Waterbury job whatsapp group where I definitely see opportunities in computers and web design. Post an email if u want me to send u the person to add you. Also there's a company that hires a lot of people here to work remotely. If you post your email address, I'll give u the details and have u send his resume through my dh who works there.

You can also definitely get a morah job here if you dont have anything. As long as you can pay the mortgage, the state healthcare has very high income limits so I think youd do best to plunge into the move if you can afford the minimal bills, and then try to move up financially.

There are ppl here that commute to NYC, NJ, and Monsey even daily or 4 days a week.

Btw I moved here in the summer intending to commute to nyc if I had to. And my husband would have been a school bus driver if necessary. But I found a great job late august BH and dh early september.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:00 am
Sorry to hijack this thread-
But wondering 🤔- what type of crowd lives in Waterbury? I mean type as in yeshivish, litvish, chassidish, etc. Is it a nice place for a family with children of all ages? Is there a school system up and running?
And is the housing there affordable?

I'm looking to relocate so wondering if this was an interesting option.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:22 am
Monsey is an hour and a half with no traffic - can be up to 2 with traffic/construction which has been more common lately…don’t kid yourself if he wants to do this both ways everyday. It’s a huge chunk of time. And please don’t listen to above posters about Rebbe jobs if he’s not qualified to do that job…
Maybe look for a remote option for the profession he’s good at. So many exist after Covid …

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 7:25 am
amother Slateblue wrote:
Sorry to hijack this thread-
But wondering 🤔- what type of crowd lives in Waterbury? I mean type as in yeshivish, litvish, chassidish, etc. Is it a nice place for a family with children of all ages? Is there a school system up and running?
And is the housing there affordable?

I'm looking to relocate so wondering if this was an interesting option.

Search here, there are multiple threads on the topic..
Its not chasidish at all aside from summer visitors.
A very nice range of ultra yeshivish/ long term kollel to more modern with the majority falling in the middle.
I think its a nice place! Definitely kids of all ages
There are schools up and running, nursery through 12th grade . new boys high school specifically geared for local boys ( as opposed to the existing one which is mainly for boarders) opening this year iyh.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 9:06 am
amother Mauve wrote:
Monsey is an hour and a half with no traffic - can be up to 2 with traffic/construction which has been more common lately…don’t kid yourself if he wants to do this both ways everyday. It’s a huge chunk of time. And please don’t listen to above posters about Rebbe jobs if he’s not qualified to do that job…
Maybe look for a remote option for the profession he’s good at. So many exist after Covid …

Sorry for hijacking...

Don't people travel from Monsey, Lakewood, etc to NYC for work, which can take 2 hours each way?

Was just wondering.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:37 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
Sorry for hijacking...

Don't people travel from Monsey, Lakewood, etc to NYC for work, which can take 2 hours each way?

Was just wondering.

Yes people do.

If he's into sales, remote position was just posted today. You said he's good at a lot of things so just throwing ideas out there.

And re a rebbi job, right now they have one class of 44 pre 1a boys for next year and are desperate. Lots of frum guys could be a pre 1a rebbe easily. But of course it's not for everyone.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 1:55 pm
BH someone stepped up to be the pre 1a rebbe.

But if you're still thinking of moving, this house is about to hit the market and it's way under market value. A handful of frum families live across the street and the next corner is almost all frum in every direction. Really hope a yid buys the house. I'd do it myself for an investment and im yirtze hashem for my children one day if I could afford a second mortgage.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Jun 28 2023, 2:24 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
BH someone stepped up to be the pre 1a rebbe.

But if you're still thinking of moving, this house is about to hit the market and it's way under market value. A handful of frum families live across the street and the next corner is almost all frum in every direction. Really hope a yid buys the house. I'd do it myself for an investment and im yirtze hashem for my children one day if I could afford a second mortgage.

Forgot the link
https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating