Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Onions, onions, onions (:cry)

supermom

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 2:11 pm
I have tried everything in the book to stop my eyes from tearing. I have tried putting the onions under cold water while peeling them, leaving the water running while cutting them. I have even tried cutting them under cold water and that didn't either work worst yet they went down the drain. I even tried goggles (I once opened the door to someone, and I still had my googles on, how embarrassing embarrassed ) but nothing every work.

This is the only technique that ever worked for me. You can keep the onions in the fridge or freezer. Even chilling them for 10 min. before you cut them will help. When onions are cold, they release less of the chemical into the air.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 5:21 pm
I have contact lenses and most of the time it blocks the onions from getting to my eyes. only if its a very strong onion does it affect me, but ever since I got contacts I have no problem. bh because it was really bad before.

proudmom

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 5:23 pm
another thing dont cut the ends off. start from the middle of the onion

Rochel Leah

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 6:06 pm
or while cutting the onion, keep a piece of bread in your mouth...funnily enough it helps

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 6:22 pm
or a cracker. it didnt stop the sting for me but the cracker got the taste of an onion. very strange.

micki

Post Wed, Nov 17 2004, 9:52 pm
don't talk.
wear a gas mask. LOL

supermom

Post Thu, Nov 18 2004, 4:11 pm
I have actually tried not cutting the ends off that didn't work, and a mask I remember doing that when I was a kid that didn't either work. the cookie or the bread that actually sounds strange but cool, I think I will try that next time I cut onions that will be tomorrow when I cook for shabbos
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen