Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Worms in Portobello Mushrooms

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 10:03 pm
Last week, I purchased a pack of Portobello Mushrooms, I usually just wash them well, and use them. I happened to see a worm on the plastic. I decided to wash them really well in a white colored bowl. Sure enough, there were 3 at the bottom of the bowl. I decided to wash them again. and there were a couple more. I knew Portobellos were known to have worm issues, but I really did not check too well before. They look like fungus gnat larvae. (I have seen them in potting soil, so I am familar with what they look like) white with a black head. I just wanted to let everyone know, Portobellos Mushrooms can have bug/worm issues and are hard to check. Of course I threw them out but I think I won't eat or purchase Portobello mushrooms anymore....

boysrus

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 10:56 pm
oh my! thanks for the PSA. I have two containers of them sitting on my counter and am about to use them, now I know to check them well!

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jun 15 2023, 10:59 pm
Were they in the “gills”? I usually just scoop out those from portobello mushrooms.

SingALong

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 12:25 am
I usually top and scrape out the gills, then rinse. I heard that the worms hide in the gills.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:05 am
I just took the sprayer from the faucet and hosed them down over the bowl. So I guess if they hide in the gills, techincally, I can scrape the gills out and dispose of them and just use the main part. I knew they could be an issue, but never saw any till now. I was taught to brush the gills

amother
Navyblue

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 9:20 am
I assume that’s why protocol is to scrape out the gills?

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jun 16 2023, 11:36 am
amother OP wrote:
I just took the sprayer from the faucet and hosed them down over the bowl. So I guess if they hide in the gills, techincally, I can scrape the gills out and dispose of them and just use the main part. I knew they could be an issue, but never saw any till now. I was taught to brush the gills

That's what I did so far - clean the gills well. I think after this, I'll switch to taking them out.
Thanks for the PSA.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen