Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
What are signs before first period comes?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 2:40 pm
Do you get stomachaches before?
Few days?

My daughter has been complaining of pain in her stomach yesterday but different type of pain, she says. Low down.

At the time I thought she may be gettinf it.
Shes 11.5

Today she was also complaining, but then she had diarrhea .
So obviously not then.

Asking generally, Are there usually any symptoms before first period?
Does one get stomach pains few days before?
Any other symptoms?

Thanks so much.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 2:45 pm
None, it's a surprise.
When I asked my pediatrician, she said, "I wish I knew!"

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 2:48 pm
So nervous abt my daughter getting for the first time in camp. Is it unlikely in new surroundings?? I know I didn’t get mine all sem year in Israel , wonder if that carries over to first time getting it ..

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 2:48 pm
TMI but I also get diarrhea and bad cramps a few days before my period

smss

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 2:54 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:
So nervous abt my daughter getting for the first time in camp. Is it unlikely in new surroundings?? I know I didn’t get mine all sem year in Israel , wonder if that carries over to first time getting it ..

In general a lot of the time girls miss periods in camp (if they were already getting it).

But it could happen and you should prepare her!

smss

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 2:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do you get stomachaches before?
Few days?

My daughter has been complaining of pain in her stomach yesterday but different type of pain, she says. Low down.

At the time I thought she may be gettinf it.
Shes 11.5

Today she was also complaining, but then she had diarrhea .
So obviously not then.

Asking generally, Are there usually any symptoms before first period?
Does one get stomach pains few days before?
Any other symptoms?

Thanks so much.

Hmm so some people get diarrhea with periods, it's the prostaglandin or something I think? Has a relaxing effect on the bowels... something like that.

Lots of girls don't get any symptoms before but it's possible.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 3:00 pm
No signs at all. One of my daughters had a well-visit at the pediatrician the morning she got her first period, and the doctor said that according to the "signs" she was not likely to get her period for another year! And she got it that afternoon.

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 3:04 pm
amother Dandelion wrote:

I got mine for the first time in camp. I remember writing letters to my parents and writing a separate note that time just for my mom so I could tell her. I had pads in camp so I was fine most of the time except that first day it happened I was on am overnight trip so that part wasn't the best experience. But I survived Smile and I think I even kind of liked having some space from my mom/family during that time.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 3:55 pm
amother Puce wrote:
No signs at all. One of my daughters had a well-visit at the pediatrician the morning she got her first period, and the doctor said that according to the "signs" she was not likely to get her period for another year! And she got it that afternoon.

Yup, I recently took my daughter for a well visit and she told her she'll prob get her period soon. I told her she's been getting it for over a year already!

ImmaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 4:11 pm
Just like age of onset, this is gonna differ from child to child, even in the same family.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jun 19 2023, 4:17 pm
Ok thanks for all the replies.

Its literally a waiting game.

Im quite excited but nervous aswel for her.

I remember what mine were like before kids.. bh not debiĺitating but rather unpleasant.

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 9:22 am
Diarrhea is a big sign for myself plus lower belly pain... she might be getting it.. I guess just be on the lookout.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 9:31 am
I had none. Breast buds at age 9.5, bit of acne at age 10, underarm hair at age 12.5, then one random day at age 15 I got my period.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 9:33 am
Do most girls develop their chest before getting their first period? I did, so I thought every does. Not true?

amother
Celeste

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 9:44 am
smss wrote:
In general a lot of the time girls miss periods in camp (if they were already getting it).

But it could happen and you should prepare her!

It happened to me and it was totally fine even though my mother despite the fact that I was the youngest of nine kids and four girls did not think to send me to camp prepared when I was already 12!
Until today I don't even know how I was brave enough to turn to the girl who slept underneath me and say I think I got my period for the first time do you have extra pads?
The camp had a camp mother and she saw me trying to make a phone call when we weren't allowed and I remember sobbing to her about the whole thing.
I feel like something like this could actually have been a little traumatic for someone and thinking back I'm surprised at how I just got over it so quickly and it just became a story to tell.

amother
Hunter

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 11:30 am
They start getting clear/white discharge for several months before.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 11:34 am
amother Calendula wrote:
TMI but I also get diarrhea and bad cramps a few days before my period

Same. Also I got the cramps every few weeks for two YEARS before I actually started to bleed. I remember being 12 years old, in horrible pain and then bleeding for the first time when I was 14.

amother
Magnolia

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 12:15 pm
My daughter got her period first time in camp. I sent her very prepared and she was totally fine!!
If she had told someone they would have given her permission to call me right away but she didn’t feel the need to and just casually mentioned it at her next call home.

I was so worried about if she’d get it at camp and she did! But she was perfectly easy going about it bh.

amother
Thistle

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 12:35 pm
Same question. Dd11 has been having stomach pain and diahrrea on and off for 2 weeks now. I did some testing but so far they haven’t called me with any results.

amother
Mocha

Post Tue, Jun 20 2023, 12:37 pm
The day I got my first period, my mom told me in the morning that I would! She was in the room when I was getting dressed and saw brown discharge on my underwear in the hamper. It actually wasn't the first time I had noticed that kind of discharge so I didn't think much of it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics