Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Anyone else following the titan submersible story?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:48 am
I'm so horrified. It's a horrible story.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:49 am
Any update?

Trademark

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:49 am
Yes. The most horrifying part is that we are being updated in real time. Can't imagine their and their families fear.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:53 am
Yes, I feel so bad for them stuck in there, and for the poor families!
Do you remember the story of the group of children stuck in a cave? , the recovery was horrific. I followed that in real time as well. Same sort of thing. Horrible. Really hope they can get them out alive but time is ticking Sad
I keep looking for updates. They heard banging, that's all we know now.

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:55 am
Yes. Hope is fading soon because even in the best case scenerio (they’re alive, just lost) they’re running out of oxygen by tomorrow. Hoping to hear good news soon!

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:56 am
The US Coast Guard is due to give an update on the search for the missing Titan submersible at 6pm UK time. The five people on board may have less than 20 hours of breathable air left.

Just saw this on the news.

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:57 am
I don't know if it's true or not , but even if they located them, if they are too deep, they may be unable to pull them back up .

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:57 am
NechaMom wrote:
Yes. Hope is fading soon because even in the best case scenerio (they’re alive, just lost) they’re running out of oxygen by tomorrow. Hoping to hear good news soon!

Yes so scary for them
If they're alive now, which they seem to be because of the banging.

Busybee5

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:58 am
octopus wrote:
I don't know if it's true or not , but even if they located them, if they are too deep, they may be unable to pull them back up .

Crying
Yes they're trying everything of course but they can't endanger their own lives in the process.

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 11:59 am
Honestly I feel sorry for them as it is a horrible death.

But the head of the company who is down there deliberately built a machine that wasn't up to industry standards and bragged about it. So it is a bit ironic.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:01 pm
Trademark wrote:
Yes. The most horrifying part is that we are being updated in real time. Can't imagine their and their families fear.

Yes. This.
I'm sure a lot of people are aware and following, even if they don't comment or react on this thread.

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:01 pm
Busybee5 wrote:
Yes so scary for them
If they're alive now, which they seem to be because of the banging.

They have no proof that the noise is coming from them. It’s all about guessing so far. Can’t imagine what their families are going through right now.

octopus

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:02 pm
Amarante wrote:

But the head of the company who is down there deliberately built a machine that wasn't up to industry standards and bragged about it. So it is a bit ironic.

I'm not sure my empathy stretches to him. But I feel bad for the rest of them.

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:03 pm
This whole story is making me feel incredibly anxious. I literally cannot imagine what it's like to be bolted shut inside a claustrophobic death tube, who knows where in the ocean, knowing your oxygen is rapidly running out. I think the adults are dummies for paying a quarter million dollars to lock themselves into this thing that didn't meet safety standards and was being operated by a Playstation controller, but no one deserves such an agonizing slow death. And I keep thinking about the dad with his teenage son - the guilt the father must feel, and how the son was probably nervous but trusted his dad... if they can't be rescued alive then I really hope the death was quick and immediate.

crust

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:04 pm
Amarante wrote:

I wonder if a company like this ever has an inspection?

I understand the families will take them to court now. But what about till tragedy strikes?

I am asking not about this particular advuture but in general, is it like no man's land and everyone can do what they want without the adventure craft/activity having proper law and code to keep it safe?

Amarante

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:07 pm
crust wrote:

I understand the families will take them to court now. But what about till tragedy strikes?

I am asking not about this particular advuture but in general, is it like no man's land and everyone can do what they want without the adventure craft/activity having proper law and code to keep it safe?

There was evidently a lot of warning about the specifications of this machine. I haven't read that closely but, for example, the viewing window is not supposed to be used at the depth that it was.

The head of this company was evidently particularly egregious in claiming that having standards and regulations were detrimental

I guess for me the irony is that he reaped what he apparently sowed.

Trademark

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:08 pm
crust wrote:

They probably signed a document that they are aware of the risks and that it's not regulated etc.

I can't fathom what would compel a person to take such a risk.

One of them was already in space and now wanted to go into depths of the oceans. I would like my feet planted firmly on the ground, no space or oceans for me!

watergirl

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:11 pm
I can't stop thinking about it and I'm constantly reading and watching all new news info on this.

Tiktok "experts" and videos from randos is not helping the public perception of what's going on there. Especially upsetting to me is the schadenfreude - it's all I'm seeing on Tiktok. No matter how dumb the idea seems to all of us, I can only imagine the conversations, regret, fear, and terror they are feeling down there.

The current sea safety laws all came from the tragedy of the Titanic called the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)... more laws and regulations will come from this no matter the outcome.

NechaMom

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:12 pm
watergirl wrote:
I can't stop thinking about it and I'm constantly reading and watching all new news info on this.

Tiktok "experts" and videos from randos is not helping the public perception of what's going on there. Especially upsetting to me is the schadenfreude - it's all I'm seeing on Tiktok. No matter how dumb the idea seems to all of us, I can only imagine the conversations, regret, fear, and terror they are feeling down there.

The current sea safety laws all came from the tragedy of the Titanic called the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS)... more laws and regulations will come from this no matter the outcome.

We see it on this thread as well. Actually shocking.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Jun 21 2023, 12:13 pm
I'm so freaked out by this story, horrific. Like a horror movie.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics