Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Anyone else following the titan submersible story?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

theotherone1

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:35 pm
I am with those who say they all died instantly and this "running out of oxygen" timeline is irrelevant.

Persevere

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:49 pm
Does it not bother anyone what an expensive endeavor this is to go rescue them? Millions and millions of dollars are now going into this mission. All to look for the dead bodies of a few billionaires who chose to go on an unsafe escapade.

I don't take their lives lightly (or maybe I do?) but it seems the families should foot this bill not our tax money.

Trademark

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:52 pm
Persevere wrote:
Does it not bother anyone what an expensive endeavor this is to go rescue them? Millions and millions of dollars are now going into this mission. All to look for the dead bodies of a few billionaires who chose to go on an unsafe escapade.

I don't take their lives lightly (or maybe I do?) but it seems the families should foot this bill not our tax money.

I agree.

There should be some rules in place, if you take an unreasonable risk for no good reason, we won't spend millions of taxpayer money and time and resources.

Last edited by Trademark on Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

momsprince

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:53 pm
jerusalem90 wrote:
A happier conspiracy theory that I heard is that these people wanted to fake their own deaths (no reason why was given), and they never even went down there. They wouldn't have been able to take billions with them, but it wouldn't be hard for a billionaire to be able to stash away a few million and start his life over somewhere.
I agree with this theory. Don't believe they were stupid enough to enter such a tiny thing when they are used to living in comfort. With their money they could of built a bigger vessel with actual windows in it.

Trademark

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:54 pm
momsprince wrote:
I agree with this theory. Don't believe they were stupid enough to enter such a tiny thing when they are used to living in comfort. With their money they could of built a bigger vessel with actual windows in it.

They can't put windows due to the extreme pressure at such depths.

Java

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 1:56 pm
momsprince wrote:

Tell me you don't understand physics without telling me you don't understand physics

icedcoffee

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:02 pm
momsprince wrote:

So what about the other insanely wealthy passengers who did make the same the trip on the same tiny thing and survived with no issue? This wasn't the maiden voyage. If the previous people were stupid/willing enough to do it, no reason to think these guys wouldn't either.

momsprince

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:03 pm
Trademark wrote:
They can't put windows due to the extreme pressure at such depths.
ok so scratch the windows then. Still don't think they would risk their lives in that thing. There was no way to test it with all the technology that exists today?

Mayflower

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:03 pm
Persevere wrote:

I couldn't agree more. The whole world looking for 5 rich men who didn't know what to do with their money, just a few days after hundreds of migrants drowned off the Greek coast ... What has the world come to.

Persevere

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:06 pm
Mayflower wrote:
I couldn't agree more. The whole world looking for 5 rich men who didn't know what to do with their money, just a few days after hundreds of migrants drowned off the Greek coast ... What has the world come to.

Yes. I'm seriously wondering what they are thinking. How do they decide to allocate this type of money to the rescue initiative?

Also, a few days after professional private ocean explorer people offered to help and were denied.

This is really lacking logic and as a taxpayer, quite frustrating.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:31 pm
Persevere wrote:
Yes. I'm seriously wondering what they are thinking. How do they decide to allocate this type of money to the rescue initiative?

How would they have publicly justified condemning five men to death without even trying to look for them?

The current information seems to indicate that they died instantaneously, but up until a few hours ago they were hoping to find the men alive.

number

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:36 pm
Persevere wrote:

Agreed. That money could have gone to healthcare costs for lots of low income people (Medicaid and Medicare don't always cover what people need) but instead they're chasing after some billionaires. How exactly did they determine that this is how tax dollars should be spent?

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:37 pm
Elfrida wrote:
How would they have publicly justified condemning five men to death without even trying to look for them?

The current information seems to indicate that they died instantaneously, but up until a few hours ago they were hoping to find the men alive.

For what it's worth (and a mod reminder to leave politics out of this thread), a ship with 750 refugees capsized this week and many died; they begged for help and no one came. No one is even talking about it. Hundreds are missing, ie dead. No one is publicly justifying it, it's just being eclipsed by this much smaller vessel story. It's the rich vs. the poor, right before our eyes. The entire world (including me) is glued to their phones watching it unfold, and these people are sinking in the Mediterranean at the same time (well, a few days before).

watergirl

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:40 pm
I started a thread in the politics section to discuss the rich vs. poor issue (Refugee boat vs. submersible). Please continue that discussion there. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....17184

OBnursemom

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:45 pm
Persevere wrote:

Also, a few days after professional private ocean explorer people offered to help and were denied.

This is really lacking logic and as a taxpayer, quite frustrating.

Probably powerful and wealthy people putting well placed pressure.

Last edited by OBnursemom on Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

paperflowers

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:46 pm
flowerpower wrote:
So the liberals are crying that rich men don’t deserve to life. Only illegals on an overcrowded dangerous escape. Got it!

Is this a joke? No one is saying they don’t deserve to live. And I’m sure they intended to live. And I have sympathy for their families. They shouldn’t be more deserving of life just because they are rich.

A migrant boat capsizing is way not exciting. Awful things happen to refugees all the time. Including migrants on boats in the Mediterranean. A bunch of rich people disappearing while on an underwater adventure sounds like an 1800s novel.

Were any of the passengers on the submarine American citizens? That would explain the rescue efforts on the part of the US government.

paperflowers

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:47 pm
watergirl wrote:
I started a thread in the politics section to discuss the rich vs. poor issue (Refugee boat vs. submersible). Please continue that discussion there. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....17184

Sorry, cross posted with this

Persevere

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:54 pm
Elfrida wrote:

From what I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong), they did not begin a serious search for them until yesterday. By which time, they only had a few hours' worth of O2 left.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 2:59 pm
Come on, there’s a teenager on there with his dad.

Java

Post Thu, Jun 22 2023, 3:07 pm
Coast guard confirmed that the sub imploded
Most likely when they initially lost contact
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics