Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Gifted children in Charedi schools
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 10:19 am
My 9 year old daughter is probably gifted. Emotionally she is a typical kid (That gap causes its own unique struggles)
Beyond thanking hashem for giving her a gift, I don't know what else to do.

She is beyond bored in school. She is so ahead of the class and is not learning how to learn. She isn't learning how to cope in challenging situations. She isn't learning how to challenge her brain which is literally one of her biggest gifts.

Her school is happy to accommodate as much as they can but aside for giving her extra work sheets and turning a blind eye to reading in class they don't have much else to offer her.

Is there anything I can advocate for? What do kids like this do in the charedi system where there is no program for gifted children?

nnmom

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 10:22 am
Would you consider a more academically geared Chardal school?
Maybe if you post your city other can chime in

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 10:28 am
nnmom wrote:
Would you consider a more academically geared Chardal school?
Maybe if you post your city other can chime in

I am happy with the school and my daughter is happy with her friends.
Should I really consider putting her in a school that is different hashkafically for the sake of scholastics? I don't know. Its a tough call.
We live in RBS.

dinglehopper

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 10:28 am
She can be tested via the schools. And then you'll know. Unfortunately, the religious schools in general lack gifted programs. It's a struggle. You might need to switch her school to make sure she is both being challenged and also has a nice peer group. Otherwise, do enrichment outside of the school day.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 10:30 am
dinglehopper wrote:
She can be tested via the schools.

How? Who do I ask?

balance

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 10:51 am
I can help you. PM me

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:00 am
Story of my life, but in America. I have 3 very bright boys. They are/were bored in school. They do self simulate outside of school. My oldest didn't learn any work ethics (school work) or to work hard until he got to mesivta. He was overwhelmed in 9th grade and took a year to realize he had to work hard for gemara (which in middle school wasn't as hard). It's not always easy to have bright kids.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 11:04 am
Did you try netzach? They have such a program with extra math and science. My kids are too and between that and the longer school hours at netzach they’re doing well. Although my older Oleh is still catching up in Hebrew and can’t yet join the program so this summer in place of camp, we’ve set things up at home to do.

amother
Birch

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 12:06 pm
Unless she's in a mamlachti charadi school they won't do anything. They are over stretched and under resourced. Not enough money. And anyway the teachers probably don't know what to do. Either you move her, or put up with it until high school where hopefully things will be a bit better.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Jun 23 2023, 12:20 pm
It's a problem in America too. My daughter has anxiety so she is in a small school which means they don't have a great curriculum or great teachers. She is brilliant and loves to read so I get books from the library and we have stimulating conversations at home. She will likely be bored until college. She was reading at 4 years old. There are no gifted frum programs.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 12:50 am
If the school won't test her, you can get her tested at the Henrietta Szold Institute.

https://www.szold.org.il/%D7%9.....7%9F/

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:11 am
Speak to Zipporah Osrin 025715116. She works with gifted kids within the charedi system.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:13 am
There is מחוננים one day a week through משרד החינוך. There is also מצטיינים which is after school. You have to test into it. The tests for next year were in March but maybe you can try for the year after. I don't know exactly what the program is like in beit shemesh, but in other cities with big frum populations, you can do a totally frum program - near us it's separate boys and girls, they all wear skirts and daven in the morning, the teachers are frum and tznius. It's not charedi by me, but look into the program in beit shemesh, could be it leans more charedi because of the population. If it's an after school program that's girls only do you need it to be totally charedi?

salt

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:15 am
Elemntary school finishes latest 2:30. She can learn a new language, learn a musical instrument, by herself, online, or with a tutor.
Or she can go ahead by herself - buy her next year's math book and let her go ahead.

I think as long as a kid doesn't play up in school and mess around and disturb the class, even if they are bored, they should just consider themselves blessed - they should be thankful that they don't have to spend hours learning for tests and then get a measily 60%.

They can do other stuff at home for enrichment. Ride a bike, read books, babysit other kids - brains don't need to be stretched - why stress her out?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:20 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:
There is מחוננים one day a week through משרד החינוך. There is also מצטיינים which is after school. You have to test into it. The tests for next year were in March but maybe you can try for the year after. I don't know exactly what the program is like in beit shemesh, but in other cities with big frum populations, you can do a totally frum program - near us it's separate boys and girls, they all wear skirts and daven in the morning, the teachers are frum and tznius. It's not charedi by me, but look into the program in beit shemesh, could be it leans more charedi because of the population. If it's an after school program that's girls only do you need it to be totally charedi?

Where do you see a totally frum program? Where do you live?

DrMom

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:24 am
salt wrote:
Elemntary school finishes latest 2:30. She can learn a new language, learn a musical instrument, by herself, online, or with a tutor.
Or she can go ahead by herself - buy her next year's math book and let her go ahead.

I think as long as a kid doesn't play up in school and mess around and disturb the class, even if they are bored, they should just consider themselves blessed - they should be thankful that they don't have to spend hours learning for tests and then get a measily 60%.

They can do other stuff at home for enrichment. Ride a bike, read books, babysit other kids - brains don't need to be stretched - why stress her out?

Typically, the mechunanim programs don't accelerate the curriculum; they offer enrichment that is outside of the standard school framework.

And I disagree that as long as a child is not a troublemaker and gets good grades, that it is okay if she spends her entire 12 years unchallenged and bored. Some kids want intellectual stimulation, and if the standard framework isn't providing that, why not seek out other resources?

And yes, there are charedi gifted programs in some communities. I would first get her tested to see if she qualifies, and then ask about these programs.

Last edited by DrMom on Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seablue

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:26 am
Find outside interests and help build her up there.
Chess club, music, maths, science, history, writing…
There are so many things she can do.
Many schools struggle with this.
First the extra help will go to the kids at the other end of the spectrum, who need help keeping up.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:26 am
Here is info about Charedi מחוננים program. It says they have it all over the country. I didn't read the whole website:
https://mbakodesh.org.il/cptcl.....7%9D/
Looks like it's based out of Jerusalem. Maybe worth calling them and asking if there is a branch near you.

salt

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:29 am
DrMom wrote:
Typically, the mechunanim programs don't accelerate the curriculum; they offer enrichment that is outside of the standard school framework.

And I disagree that as long as a child is not a troublemaker and gets good grades, that it is okay if she spends her entire 12 years unchallenged and bored. Some kids want intellectual stimulation, and if the standard framework isn't providing that, why not seek out other resources?

Yes enrichment, but I don't see the point of these programs that, for example, get you to 5-yechidot in bagrut by 9th grade, and then a math/science degree by 11th grade.
Maybe for a one in a million super genius kid, but not a regular smart school kid.

I didn't say sit bored for 12 years - I said, enjoy finding school easy, and do other things after school to keep you interested.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Jun 25 2023, 1:31 am
amother Oxfordblue wrote:

Doesn't it have to be arranged through the school? I don't think regular charadi beis yakov are part of it. But, correct me if I'm wrong. If you send you send to a mamlachti charadi school or chabad or sefardi school then they do it.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions