Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Stimulating a 7 year old girl
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 3:32 pm
My 7 year old daughter is an almost only child and craves lots of attention and stimulation.

What are some ideas on occupying her? She does play with some neighbors but not all the time. I play with her usually one game a day and sometimes do a project with her. I have lots of crafts things for her to do and games and toys. I think she likes when someone does things WITH her.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 3:55 pm
I know this was not your point but someone can not "almost" be an only child. One is or isnt.
Signed, a mother of an only child who made sure she had a few play dates a week and played with her too.

challah58

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 4:17 pm
I only have a toddler so not sure my thoughts are worth much Smile
Can she do that the things that you're anyways doing together with you? Would she feel special baking/cooking with you? Making grocery shopping fun with a scavenger hunt or her own small list of things to find. Even sorting laundry felt special to me at that age if I was doing it with my mother.
Or maybe a hobby that the two of you could develop together if you have time every once in a while. Scrapbooking, painting, puzzles, knitting...
In short, doing things together instead of you having to feel like you have to take time off to entertain and do her activities with her.

amother
Peru

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 4:35 pm
Crochet is fun and easy to learn
I remember making a headband with simple chain stitch
My friend made lots of squares and when she had enough joined them to make a blanket

Simple sewing
At 8 I made stuffed pillow shapes, and a tote bag out of a towel

Hook Rug
Jewelry making - you can make beads from old magazines

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 6:29 pm
challah58 wrote:
I only have a toddler so not sure my thoughts are worth much Smile
Can she do that the things that you're anyways doing together with you? Would she feel special baking/cooking with you? Making grocery shopping fun with a scavenger hunt or her own small list of things to find. Even sorting laundry felt special to me at that age if I was doing it with my mother.
Or maybe a hobby that the two of you could develop together if you have time every once in a while. Scrapbooking, painting, puzzles, knitting...
In short, doing things together instead of you having to feel like you have to take time off to entertain and do her activities with her.

Thanks. I actually really like this.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
I know this was not your point but someone can not "almost" be an only child. One is or isnt.
Signed, a mother of an only child who made sure she had a few play dates a week and played with her too.

Her sibling is many years apart and rarely plays with her. My point was that for most of the time she is alone with me.

smss

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 8:04 pm
amother OP wrote:
Her sibling is many years apart and rarely plays with her. My point was that for most of the time she is alone with me.

FTR, I got what you meant and totally understand how this can effectively make a child feel like an only child...

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 11:29 pm
amother OP wrote:

I am well aware what your point was. My point still stands. Dont call someone an only child, almost or not, unless they actually are one. Please.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 11:42 pm
Delete.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 11:44 pm
Op its hard. She probably needs a deep connection with you. When that need is met she will he happy to self occupy.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 11:48 pm
amother OP wrote:
My 7 year old daughter is an almost only child and craves lots of attention and stimulation.

What are some ideas on occupying her? She does play with some neighbors but not all the time. I play with her usually one game a day and sometimes do a project with her. I have lots of crafts things for her to do and games and toys. I think she likes when someone does things WITH her.

I have the same issue! She doesn’t enjoy any of those activities unless she has company to do it with. I can’t plan daily play dates nor can I sit with her for hours every afternoon. I run out of people to invite. I don’t know why that poster is nitpicking but almost an only child means that as far as company is concerned she’s no different than an only child. It’s a very legit expression and tough to deal with. It’s really hard!

smss

Post Mon, Jul 03 2023, 11:56 pm
amother Azalea wrote:
I am well aware what your point was. My point still stands. Dont call someone an only child, almost or not, unless they actually are one. Please.

I'm trying to understand what bothers you about the comparison. Are you worried about being poseach peh l'satan? Do you feel it's invalidating to people who actually have only children, maybe not by choice?

effess

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 1:23 am
My seven year old loves listening to story cd’s while doing puzzles
She learns do much from all the story and parsha cd’s.
I introduced my 7 year old to letter writing and it’s been a wonderful, fun and fulfilling journey. She writes to bubbies and out of town cousins. Not everyone writes back but the few who do make her day/week etc. I got her a pen pal too. (My old classmate’s kid)
Hatzlacha!

salt

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 1:48 am
smss wrote:
I'm trying to understand what bothers you about the comparison. Are you worried about being poseach peh l'satan? Do you feel it's invalidating to people who actually have only children, maybe not by choice?

I can see why someone with 1 child, might find it bothering if someone who has a 22, 20, 18, 16 year old plus a 7 year old, says they have an 'almost-only child'.

I don't know if this is anything like OP's case, but it's fine to point out a sensitivity, as long as it doesn't take over the thread (which I am aware that I am doing too)!

smss

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 1:50 am
salt wrote:
I can see why someone with 1 child, might find it bothering if someone who has a 22, 20, 18, 16 year old plus a 7 year old, says they have an 'almost-only child'.

I don't know if this is anything like OP's case, but it's fine to point out a sensitivity, as long as it doesn't take over the thread (which I am aware that I am doing too)!

Yes, I can hear that too.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 3:22 am
My dd was an only child at 7, she liked:
- reading
- baking
- arts and crafts
- colorforms (reusable stickers)
- sticker books
- activity books
- paint by number
- mazes
- water wow (a water paint booklet)
- magnatiles
- duplo/Lego sets
- Playmobil
- dressing dolls/barbies
- listening to the marvelous middos machine
- watching educational TV shows
- computer games which teach coding
- listening to music
- craft kits
- painting
- coloring mandalas
- play doh sets
- origami
- finger knitting
- making simple jewelry with beads

She did not like puzzles, but lots of kids that age do. Also kinetic sand.

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:04 am
salt wrote:

And what if they have a 22 year old and then years and years of SIF then have a miracle 7 year old?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 9:13 am
Another example for our trigger thread...

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:09 am
smss wrote:

Yrs, it is extremely unvalidating to someone who actually has one child, not by choice.
Its like saying "I know how single mothers feel because my husband has been gone for two weeks".

amother
Azalea

Post Tue, Jul 04 2023, 10:09 am
amother Maple wrote:
And what if they have a 22 year old and then years and years of SIF then have a miracle 7 year old?

Whats the difference? Still not an only child or even almost an only child.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics