Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Please read below before voting. Guest no precut TP
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

See OP
A  
 19%  [ 34 ]
B  
 80%  [ 137 ]
Total Votes : 171

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 8:24 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
This thread is eye-opening. We always keep pre-cut TP in the bathroom and also tissues for people to pull their noses. Maybe I should take the tissues out of the bathroom in case people think that they’re OK to flush.

Yeah, I'm scared to put tissues (for nose blowing) in the bathroom because of this.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 8:45 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
This thread is eye-opening. We always keep pre-cut TP in the bathroom and also tissues for people to blow their noses. Maybe I should take the tissues out of the bathroom in case people think that they’re OK to flush.

Edited for typo

The toilet for my guests is in the basement, and we like to be careful even though we haven’t had issues previously ba’h. This is why we specifically put thinner tissues in that bathroom (and the guest room), in case they are flushed.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 9:07 am
My house has septic. BH we haven't had issues so far, but we are careful.

I bought these on Aliexpress, and framed them (dollar store frame) in my bathrooms:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item.....o2usa

ETA I have small covered trash cans in each bathroom.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 9:13 am
Seems OP is looking for a fight

amother
Cyclamen

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 9:21 am
I would never put tissue in the toilet if I knew the plumbing has issues. And I would be horrified if a guest did that to me. I don't need thousands of dollars of repair because a guest didn't want to rip bshinui. That's really obnoxious. As is my guest who brought his own box of tissues with him and placed it in the bathroom. These guests are not welcome back. Wipes and tissues never enter my bathroom just in case one lands in the toilet. Ask the sewer guy what is pulled up with a snake 9/10 times. That is deliberate damage.

amother
Latte

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 10:53 am
I have lived in many cities, many houses and apartments and have never had a problem with tissues. We rarely even use toilet paper, we keep kleenex in the bathroom and use that, and sometimes have to use plenty of it!
Is it so common to have such issues with your plumbing?

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 11:05 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
I would never put tissue in the toilet if I knew the plumbing has issues. And I would be horrified if a guest did that to me. I don't need thousands of dollars of repair because a guest didn't want to rip bshinui. That's really obnoxious. As is my guest who brought his own box of tissues with him and placed it in the bathroom. These guests are not welcome back. Wipes and tissues never enter my bathroom just in case one lands in the toilet. Ask the sewer guy what is pulled up with a snake 9/10 times. That is deliberate damage.
Shame on them. Bringing your own tissues to wipe your rear end and clog your host's plumbing? Wow.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 11:07 am
BH Yom Yom wrote:
This thread is eye-opening. We always keep pre-cut TP in the bathroom and also tissues for people to blow their noses. Maybe I should take the tissues out of the bathroom in case people think that they’re OK to flush.

Edited for typo
Yes you should. Place tissues in the bedroom.

And put up signs!

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 11:07 am
Chayalle wrote:
My house has septic. BH we haven't had issues so far, but we are careful.

I bought these on Aliexpress, and framed them (dollar store frame) in my bathrooms:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item.....o2usa

ETA I have small covered trash cans in each bathroom.
Those signs are cute!

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 11:13 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:

You’re calling this deliberate damage; but as Latte says, many people have never encountered this plumbing issue. Unless you specify, guests very likely will not be aware that tissues will clog the pipes, because that has never been their experience.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 11:19 am
Actually, I was the guest.
We were out for lunch and as I was in their bathroom. The Shabbos box was empty (maybe they forgot to refill enough before Shabbos, or maybe too many other guests uses too much before me).
I was now sitting on the toilet, with a roll of TP next to me, that I could rip derech shinoy, or tissues on the side of the sink (presumably for noses).
As I am a guest, I presumably know nothing of their systems.
It just made me wonder what the woman here would do.

(I also wonder how the difference would break down with age/socioeconomic/community/background-upbringing…)

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 11:37 am
If your toilet cannot handle tissues it’s your responsibility to hang up a sign, don’t have tissues in the bathroom ( only toilet paper ) make sure you have enough precut toilet paper. It’s not on your guests to know the issues of your house.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 11:51 am
amother cornflower wrote:
If your toilet cannot handle tissues it’s your responsibility to hang up a sign, don’t have tissues in the bathroom ( only toilet paper ) make sure you have enough precut toilet paper. It’s not on your guests to know the issues of your house.

I have tissues in the bathroom for nose blowing, for girls who need it while they are applying their makeup, etc...I keep a box on the vanity. It is NOT in the toilet area (long narrow bathroom, toilet at the end, vanity with mirror area along the wall right when you walk in, tissue box on vanity).

Sign on wall near toilet (see above) so guests don't flush tissues.

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 11:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Actually, I was the guest.
We were out for lunch and as I was in their bathroom. The Shabbos box was empty (maybe they forgot to refill enough before Shabbos, or maybe too many other guests uses too much before me).
I was now sitting on the toilet, with a roll of TP next to me, that I could rip derech shinoy, or tissues on the side of the sink (presumably for noses).
As I am a guest, I presumably know nothing of their systems.
It just made me wonder what the woman here would do.

(I also wonder how the difference would break down with age/socioeconomic/community/background-upbringing…)

Ah, okay. BTDT. Tissue in garbage is my strategy there. Sometimes wrapped in a second tissue.

BatZion

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 1:38 pm
That moment when you're like, "Girls, you need to get out more..."

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 1:58 pm
Our toilet is sensitive to tissues so we do not keep tissues in the bathroom. However, we do have them in the guest rooms and make sure to tell guests that the tissues are not for bathroom use.

We always supply precut toilet paper before each shabbos and yom tov, but have no way of knowing if it runs out over the course of the day unless someone tells us.

There is also a heter from R'Moshe that lots of people are not aware of. Due to the nature of the business, you can rip the toilet paper not on the perforation if there is nothing else to use.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 3:09 pm
amother Cyclamen wrote:

Nobody wants plumbing problems.
That said, as a host you are responsible to provide precut TP and to put up signs what's forbidden to flush.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 3:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I am understanding that it is better to possibly do harm to someone else’s bathroom and cause them financial loss than to do something bideved.
So interesting

If the choice is between doing something that really isn’t allowed on Shabbos vs a nebulous possibility of issues with plumbing, yes I will be more careful with Shabbos. If you warn me about your plumbing issues, I will scrupulously do my best to safeguard your plumbing.

BH Yom Yom

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 4:01 pm
As a guest, I have brought my own pre-cut toilet paper, especially when going away for Shabbos out of town and arriving late Friday afternoon (not my preferred travel plans, but whatever). Last time we did that I was glad I had brought precut TP, because there was none in the bathroom in the guestroom (there was a whole roll or two) and I was way too uncomfortable to bring it up with the hostess half an hour before candlelighting when she was already frazzled. I hate imposing on people in general.

amother
Maroon

Post Mon, Jul 10 2023, 4:09 pm
I didn't read the thread, but I have only ever used tissues for the toilet even during thr week. It is totally fine where I live. I never would think of precutting TP.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note