Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Graphic design

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 7:17 am
Tell me about graphic design. Are there set rates in the field? Or do you have to be really good at marketing to get yourself out there and hired? If you work full time for a company what's the pay like? Trying to decide if it's worth investing time and money to learn it.

amf

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 7:20 am
It really depends on your skill. If you have good work people will pay.

amother
Latte

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 7:32 am
freelance is a grind. Yes, you have to be able to market yourself in a highly-saturated field.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Jul 13 2023, 8:16 am
I work part time as an in house designer for a manufacturer.
I get paid $35 an hour, can work from home and can set my own schedule.
Currently I work around 14 hours a week. During busy season it’s maybe up to 20 hours a week.

I work because I enjoy the creative outlet, it gives my day structure, and it fits in with my family life. BH my husband makes enough that his job that we are not reliant on my salary at all.

I would hesitate to invest money to learn graphic design if you plan on freelancing straight from the get-go. It’s very hard to get clients, and even harder to get well paying clients.

Regarding working full time, most marketing companies don’t pay well for newbie designers. Marketing agencies are great for brushing up skills and real life learning.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Jul 27 2023, 9:36 am
Are such jobs hard to come by?
I'm interested in taking a course. I enjoy the field and know the programs somewhat, mostly self taught, but I want to know it the right way on a professional level. But I'm concerned at what my chances of finding employment afterwards are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics