Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do some people's houses always have that good smell?
1  2  Next

frumie123

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:48 pm
This is a funny question but you know how some people's houses just have a good scent when you walk in? Like everything coming from their house just smells good?
What is it? Is it a detergent? A perfume? A specific softener?
My friends house always has a good smell and whenever her kids are at my house, the room they're in still has that good smell. I always wonder what it is.

Please feel free to share any and all ideas

lkwdmom2

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 1:54 pm
My neighbor has scentify . You plug it in and it goes in vents. There’s different scents. A lot of the stores have it too. Some stores are too strong smell

lovepinterest

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 2:13 pm
Being on top of your laundry, always making sure u clean ur house thoroughly, airing ur house out from time to time, no dishes in sink or old food on counters, showering every day, and when washing clothes don’t stuff machine

zaq

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 2:18 pm
If the kids leave a smell in the room they've been in, it's probably either their laundry detergent or their fabric softener, unless the clothes are ironed and the person doing the job applied linen spray. Or possibly their deodorant being "activated" by body heat. JMHO, if a person's scent lingers like a ghost after the person has vacated the room, whatever s/he's wearing is waaaaayyyyyy too strong and is likely to bother people with asthma, allergies or other chemical sensitivities, or simply offend people who dislike strong fragrances. Consider that before you start blasting your home with smelly stuff.

Newcastle

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 2:19 pm
lovepinterest wrote:
Being on top of your laundry, always making sure u clean ur house thoroughly, airing ur house out from time to time, no dishes in sink or old food on counters, showering every day, and when washing clothes don’t stuff machine

OP says her neighbor’s kids come to her house with the good smell lingering on them. That sounds more like Scentify to me; or maybe a great-smelling laundry detergent.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 2:27 pm
frumie123 wrote:
This is a funny question but you know how some people's houses just have a good scent when you walk in? Like everything coming from their house just smells good?
What is it? Is it a detergent? A perfume? A specific softener?
My friends house always has a good smell and whenever her kids are at my house, the room they're in still has that good smell. I always wonder what it is.

Please feel free to share any and all ideas

Why don’t you ask her?

There are lots of things you can do. I have a natural orange scented spray (no chemicals like deodorizer sprays) that smells great. You can boil up cinnamon sticks.and cloves and simmer for a few hours, use scented diffusers, light scented candles.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 2:30 pm
lkwdmom2 wrote:
My neighbor has scentify . You plug it in and it goes in vents. There’s different scents. A lot of the stores have it too. Some stores are too strong smell

Agree not to mention that inhaling chemicals isn’t healthy especially for those who are sensitive or worse, have asthma.

goldcamry

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 2:31 pm
There is a certain really nice smell that I often find on very neatly folded clothing that I get in bags as hand-me-downs from wealthy people. I always wondered also - what is that smell from??

Cheiny

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 2:33 pm
goldcamry wrote:
There is a certain really nice smell that I often find on very neatly folded clothing that I get in bags as hand-me-downs from wealthy people. I always wondered also - what is that smell from??

Probably scented fabric softener added to the washing machine.

happy chick

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 2:34 pm
lovepinterest wrote:

This is not always true.

I do laundry every day, dishes get washed almost immediately after using, no food left on counters, cleaning help 2x week, garbage gets taken out before days end, etc. While my home doesn't stink, it certainly doesn't have that fresh, airy feeling some homes have.

lucky14

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 2:59 pm
Wondering the same thing. And due to some family members having sensitive skin I only use scent-free laundry detergent so our clothing never has that awesome freshly laundered scent.

I keep reading about how bad these home scents are since it’s chemicals even the “natural” ones but really are there actually any pretty safe ones that aren’t very expensive? I don’t know how practical it is for me to be cooking cinnamon sticks every day and even so that would really only help the kitchen area.

notna

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:00 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Why don’t you ask her?

There are lots of things you can do. I have a natural orange scented spray (no chemicals like deodorizer sprays) that smells great.

Can you share what it is please? I would love to have a natural scented spray.

SuperWify

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:05 pm
I find scentify too overpowering. I use candles, natural diffusers, air out my home each day and good scent detergent. That being said, I have no idea of my house actually smells good as I live there so I can’t determine the smell of my home.

seltzermom

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:07 pm
Artificial scents are very unhealthy! Not worth the good smell.

Fresh air and clearing the home of mildew or mold plus getting garbage out and doing laundry, dishes and floors should make a nice neutral fresh smell.

Add some good cooking or baking and some happy sounds (children playing) and you’ve now got a good smell and a nice vibe!

streak

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:14 pm
I live in an old house. I'm sure it will always smells wtvr I do:(

OceanRider

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:35 pm
And I’m hooked on the smell of older people’s houses. I think it smells like mothballs. So cozy.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 3:35 pm
OceanRider wrote:
And I’m hooked on the smell of older people’s houses. I think it smells like mothballs. So cozy.

Lol I like it too
Good memories of grandparents and great grandparents

frumie123

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 4:42 pm
If you air out your house and keep it clean, that doesn't give it a good smell. It definitely keeps it from smelling bad but it doesn't create a specific good scent.

What about those people who use fabric softener does that give the actual house a yummy smell?

sunshine23

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 4:48 pm
I use snuggles blue sparkle and get compliments a lot that I smell good

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 4:55 pm
There are homes that smell fine - I.e. I don't notice any kind of smell. They smell fine because they are clean - there is no mold or mildew. In general people try to keep them aired.

There are homes that smell good because they have a nice scent. I use the Aera system which is a smart diffuser which uses non-toxic scents. They have everything from Fresh Linen and scents which make the house smell clean - these are what are called their Home Hygiene scents.

I have a few of the diffusers and use different scents. I just finished something called Soft Pants in my bedroom which is a sophisticated vanilla scent (Jasmine, Lavender, Vanilla and Sandalwood) not cloying at all. I just started Laundress 723: The Damask rose is at the heart of No.723 surrounded by a chorus of geranium and white florals and deeply grounded with the velvety, spicy warmth of guaiac wood and amber.

I have Moondance now in my living room area - An alluring, irresistible warm embrace. Luxurious notes of amber, tonka and vanilla infused with guaiac wood. All brightened up by notes of bergamot, iris and honeysuckle.

I love the variety and sophistication of the scents.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics