Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Should I move to baltimore?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:00 pm
Hi, I am considering moving to baltimore from an in town area because dh got a great job offer. How OOT does it feel? This sounds awful to ask but is there a "nicer" part of the frum area or does it all feel very simple? I'm not so into brands and all of that but bH we are blessed with parnassah and wondering if I would stand out coming from my lifestyle.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:01 pm
Go for a visit and check it out
Do you have kids? Family nearby?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:01 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Go for a visit and check it out

I have but it's hard to get a sense of an entire community

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:08 pm
Yes, there are nicer areas. People are knocking down homes and rebuilding all over. It’s not the Baltimore of 20 years ago. They’re are lots of people who are living in ways the clearly point to a higher parnassah- clothing, Sheitels, vacations, cars ect

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:09 pm
oh my...

amother
DarkViolet

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:10 pm
Just want to mention that you should also take into account though that Baltimore is not such a safe city. There is a lot of poverty and crime.

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

There are a TON of recent threads on Baltimore. Search the site.

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:21 pm
The nice thing about Baltimore is everyone is very accepting. All types of houses are everywhere and there isn’t any looking down. Housing prices more than doubled so what is cheap now is still a fortune. How much do you want to spend on a house? A million? Half a million? A quarter of a million? If you tell us a price point we can tell you where the frum neighborhoods are. What schools do you want to send your kids to? Do you want a used house ie will you knock down and rebuild? Are you looking at city or county? New house? Development?

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 1:22 pm
amother OP wrote:

Where did you stay and where would you like to check out?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 4:02 pm
My best friend is building a new construction and lives a pretty “ in town” lifestyle as do her friends so there’s a mix I’d say

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 4:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
This sounds awful to ask but is there a "nicer" part of the frum area or does it all feel very simple? I'm not so into brands and all of that but bH we are blessed with parnassah and wondering if I would stand out coming from my lifestyle.

Define simple.

There are lots of former in-towners for you to bond with.

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 5:23 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:
My best friend is building a new construction and lives a pretty “ in town” lifestyle as do her friends so there’s a mix I’d say

Where is she building?

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 5:32 pm
there is every type in Baltimore.

amother
Darkblue

Post Wed, Jul 26 2023, 5:37 pm
amother Oak wrote:
there is every type in Baltimore.

Definitely

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 2:47 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
oh my...

No need to be so judgmental. Is there something wrong with my question? I just want to be realistic with where I would fit in and not judged…

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 2:47 pm
amother Tiffanyblue wrote:

Thank you!

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 3:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi, I am considering moving to baltimore from an in town area because dh got a great job offer. How OOT does it feel?
If you are from an in town place, then Baltimore is comparatively very OOT. We're all nice Very Happy

amother OP wrote:
This sounds awful to ask but is there a "nicer" part of the frum area or does it all feel very simple?
There are some blocks that are mostly semi-detached homes and I guess a mansion would make a statement on one of those blocks. The Ranchleigh area seems to have a higher proportion of new mansions compared to other areas here, but Baltimore is very mixed. I see lots of little mansions popping up all over (and as a kitchen/residential designer I work on a few of them).

amother OP wrote:
I'm not so into brands and all of that but bH we are blessed with parnassah and wondering if I would stand out coming from my lifestyle.
Really not so much.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 3:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi, I am considering moving to baltimore from an in town area because dh got a great job offer. How OOT does it feel? This sounds awful to ask but is there a "nicer" part of the frum area or does it all feel very simple? I'm not so into brands and all of that but bH we are blessed with parnassah and wondering if I would stand out coming from my lifestyle.

What are you asking? Will you stick out with a million dollar income? Depends where you move to.
If you buy in park heights, probably, unless you’re very quiet about it or move to Westbrook area.
If you buy in Greenspring or Stevenson or Beazer or one of the newer neighborhoods, you’ll fit right in and no one will say anything. No one will even notice.
If you’re planning on buying a house and knocking down, best to move when your house is ready.
Next time you’re in Baltimore drive around the different neighborhoods and look at the houses and new construction.

amother
Lightblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 4:32 pm
Where would one move to fit in if you are not super yeshivish and not into NY/NJ styles or latest fashion? Low key/low maintenance type. My baby wears carter's, bigger kids wear children's place/target...

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Jul 30 2023, 4:40 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
Where would one move to fit in if you are not super yeshivish and not into NY/NJ styles or latest fashion? Low key/low maintenance type. My baby wears carter's, bigger kids wear children's place/target...

You’ll fit in most places. Baltimore is a big mix.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating